Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Simpsons Season V sub-titles

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-05, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simpsons Season V sub-titles

I haven't seen this posted, so thought I would pass along the info. On at least one of my season five disks, I can switch on the english sub-titles from my remote. On at least two others, pushing the subtitle button on the remote is ineffective. Going to the menus, it is not obvious how to get to the subtitle selection. At first, I thought I had defective disks.

Anyhow; if you select the "+" next to each episode it will take you to another menu (still without mention of subtitles). Despite the fact that English 5.1 is the default, I have to select the English 5.1 and, upon doing so, it finally brings up the subtitle selection menu. I haven't dealt with such a confusing menu since Memento....

Just fyi.
Old 01-01-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
somebody mentioned it here but no one had any answers.

i think this is a good thread to start since its been trouble for some...i have yet to open my copy...hoping to get some answers before i do
Old 01-01-05, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
somebody mentioned it here but no one had any answers.

hoping to get some answers before i do
Thanks; I hadn't kept up with that thread. Just to clarify, I found the answer as described in my original post. It was just very, very well hidden.
Old 01-01-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The subtitles were very annoying to me when i was trying to turn them on during the commentaries
Old 01-01-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only episodes on which you can utilize the subtitles are the ones without deleted scenes. The episodes with deleted scenes have a scissors icon pop up in the lower left-hand corner of the screen letting you know there's a deleted scene available. That icon takes up the subtitle track on those episodes. Thus, only the episodes without deleted scenes have subtitles in season 5. That's disappointing to me because I like having the subtitles on when listening to commentaries, but what are you going to do? That's how they decided to do it this time around. Minor annoyance in an otherwise great set.
Old 01-01-05, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by scott27
The only episodes on which you can utilize the subtitles are the ones without deleted scenes. The episodes with deleted scenes have a scissors icon pop up in the lower left-hand corner of the screen letting you know there's a deleted scene available. That icon takes up the subtitle track on those episodes. Thus, only the episodes without deleted scenes have subtitles in season 5. That's disappointing to me because I like having the subtitles on when listening to commentaries, but what are you going to do? That's how they decided to do it this time around. Minor annoyance in an otherwise great set.
Scott27 - reread my OP. It is possible to turn on the subtitles in ALL episodes; just not straightforward.
Old 01-02-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been watching my set the past couple of days and the only subtitle problem I've encountered was during the episode "Homer Loves Flanders". They suddenly appeared, twice, and I was able to turn them off by hitting the STOP button and then PLAY. For some reason I couldn't turn them off the normal way (SUBTITLES ON/OFF button).
Old 01-02-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

weird
Old 01-02-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by viking99
Scott27 - reread my OP. It is possible to turn on the subtitles in ALL episodes; just not straightforward.
OK, thanks for pointing that out. Guess it helps to read the WHOLE post before replying.
Old 12-30-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts
I've had the subtitles spontaneously turn on during a couple of episodes so far. It seems to be tied in with the deleted scenes, because I can't turn them off again without going to the menu. It looks a lot like the situation we had with Monty Python and the Holy Grail.