DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Battlestar Galactica Miniseries DVD Glitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 07:41 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battlestar Galactica Miniseries DVD Glitch

Hey all---

For all you new series fans, I think there may be a bad frame in the DVD. At Chapter 21 at 2:41:14 as the Galactica fighters head toward the Cylon fleet the frame goes completely gray for a split second then comes back. It's like a frame is missing or damaged, but the music still keeps playing through this and the disc does not freeze so I assume this is a production or transfer error not a bad disc...am I right? anyone know how to report this

Last edited by btm5540; 12-30-04 at 07:58 PM. Reason: incorrect disc time listed
Old 12-30-04, 08:18 PM
Banned

Hold on, let me check. I don't recall seeing anything like this when I viewed the movie last night, but then again I really didn't watch it all that closely. I do know, however, that the commercial breaks (ie. when the screen goes black) seem to be quite long.

EDIT: OK, I checked...it's there, but what I think it is, is not a flaw or bad frame, it's a Viper that flys extremely close to the "virtual lense" and all you see is a grey streak for a few frames. Slo-mo the scene at about 1/16 or so and you can actually a bit of detail that looks like the engine of a Viper in a single frame.

Man, I can't wait to see the series on Sci-Fi Channel next month. Hopefully the season set will come out sometime next summer or something.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-30-04 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't see the glitch either. Maybe its your version of thet set. Did you end up with a 1-disc version or the 2-disc version?
Old 12-30-04, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I didn't see the glitch either. Maybe its your version of thet set. Did you end up with a 1-disc version or the 2-disc version?
I got the 1-dsic version. But look at your set again. Slow-mo through the 161:14 second mark and it's in the latter half of that second tick. I believe the "glitch" is a CG Viper that flys too close to the "virtual camera" to clearly make out what it is.
Old 12-30-04, 09:32 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks Mike. Now that I know the "glitch" is not really a glitch I dont have to stand in line for an hour at Best Buy for a return or exchange By the way I think this series has the potential to be really great
Old 12-30-04, 09:42 PM

I noticed the premire is on a Friday...
is that going to be the weekly series day??
I remember Firefly getting stuck on Friday nights....
Old 12-31-04, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ds6161
I noticed the premire is on a Friday...
is that going to be the weekly series day??
I remember Firefly getting stuck on Friday nights....
I think it's a part of the 3-way bang fest that will be on Friday nights, starting with Stargate SG-1 @ 8pm ET, Stargate Atlantis @ 9pm ET, and then BSG @ 10pm ET. So for fans of all 3 series, it should be a good ratings night for Sci-Fi Channel.
Old 12-31-04, 12:59 PM

I just picked this up and was surprised to find two discs inside. What's the difference between the one disc and two disc versions? What's on what disc? Are they both double-sided (it says double sided on the back.)

My big question is this - When you watch the miniseries, is the whole thing on one side of one disc? It would be annoying if you would have to flip or change discs halfway through. I know it was a miniseries in two parts, but I'd think they could fit the whole, what, three hours on one side of one disc.

If you have to flip or change, I could live with it, it would just be annoying.
Old 12-31-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I just picked this up and was surprised to find two discs inside. What's the difference between the one disc and two disc versions? What's on what disc? Are they both double-sided (it says double sided on the back.)

My big question is this - When you watch the miniseries, is the whole thing on one side of one disc? It would be annoying if you would have to flip or change discs halfway through. I know it was a miniseries in two parts, but I'd think they could fit the whole, what, three hours on one side of one disc.

If you have to flip or change, I could live with it, it would just be annoying.
No difference, other than the fact that Universal apparantly manufactured both one-disc "flippers" and two-disc editions. The two disc editions are (obviously) just single-sided discs.

The entire miniseries is on one side, and plays as a three-hour movie - not in two parts (as it aired on TV).
Old 12-31-04, 02:30 PM

Thank ya muchly. It's a shame, then, that they didn't put artwork on the fronts of the two-disc, single-sided versions. But it's no biggee for me.

But on bugs - I've noticed that on Disc 1 in my set, there is a light fuzzy circular ring running around the disc on both sides. On the top, it's almost a perfect circle all the way around the disc, closer to the outer edge. On the other side, the side with the data, it seems to be showing through a bit from the top side, but doesn't go completely around the disc, and there's part of a second ring closer to the hub going around less than half the disc.

Of course, I'll watch it and see if there's any problems. Even if there isn't, is this a problem that merits an exchange, or not? The second disc doesn't have any of these markings.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 12-31-04 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
When do the new eps. start airing on Sci-Fi? Sorry if I glanced over them earlier.
Old 12-31-04, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
When do the new eps. start airing on Sci-Fi? Sorry if I glanced over them earlier.
Jan 14th in the US (9pm Eastern).
Old 12-31-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Thanks!
Old 12-31-04, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
No difference, other than the fact that Universal apparantly manufactured both one-disc "flippers" and two-disc editions. The two disc editions are (obviously) just single-sided discs.

The entire miniseries is on one side, and plays as a three-hour movie - not in two parts (as it aired on TV).
Hehe, I got mine in the "for your Emmy consideration" set...... with Mad Mad House and Tripping the Rift.... although was looking for the Tripping the Rift at the time

Oh, and I shamelessly link to another killer Battlestar Galactica Discussion (because I want peeps to do the poll):
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400549

Last edited by Councelor; 12-31-04 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-23-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has this been discontinued - title is now "special order" on Amazon............
Old 01-23-05, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jkzahn
Has this been discontinued - title is now "special order" on Amazon............
Strange...must be just out of stock for the moment. I just punched it up on DeepDiscount and put it in my shopping cart to check availability and it made no mention of being on backorder or anything, so I can just assume that Amazon is just temporarily out of stock.

If you really want it, and have a DeepDiscount account, I'd order it from there as it's about a buck cheaper there.