Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Good Projection HDTV for ~$1800??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone recommend a Projection HDTV for around $1800? Unfortunatly I am a little restricted as far as size goes, and it cannot be any wider than 45 inches.
Old 12-30-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
$100 more than your limit at BB, but you might be able to find cheaper elsewhere... 1/2 under your 45 inch width limit, otherwise I'd recommend their 55" model (which is 50 1/2 inches wide).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product
Old 12-31-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the suggestion Shannon.

Anyone else have any suggestions? This isn't actually for myself, its for a family member, so I'd like to present them with some options.
Old 01-01-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
Thanks for the suggestion Shannon.

Anyone else have any suggestions? This isn't actually for myself, its for a family member, so I'd like to present them with some options.

I notice you are in Orlando, where does your family member live? If in Fl, I would recommend a trip to West Palm Beach for your T.V. purchase. I bought my 51h83 for 1199 when sears was stipp selling it for 1899-1999... It is a crappy drive from Merritt Island where I live but saving $700 was worth it to me

Shadow

P.S. you can't buy online but you can browse thier current ad

www.brandsmartusa.com
Old 01-01-05, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In this day and age with HD CRTs, stunning XGA level plasmas such as the Pioneer PDP435 range and even high-end LCD's , is there anything such thing as a "good" Rear Pro TV ?!?
I personally have a 32" 16:9 flatscreen CRT by SHARP (not available in the US), my next screen will either be a 34" HD CRT or the absolute "king" of them all, the Pioneer Plasma (are there seriously any other choices??)
Old 01-01-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AVPro the general consensus from pro calibrators and most videophiles is that CRT is still king. From a price per performance ratio, from a PQ stand point and for it being a proven technology a CRT based RTPV, FPTV or a direct view tube still beats all of the digital technologies in a similar price range.

To the original poster, for that price you should be able to find a well equipped Toshiba, Hitachi, Mits, Panny or Sony very easily in the 50" and under size. Go check them out and compare features since once they're tweaked or calibrated they're pretty much all going to provide a good picture.
Old 01-02-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AVPro
In this day and age with HD CRTs, stunning XGA level plasmas such as the Pioneer PDP435 range and even high-end LCD's , is there anything such thing as a "good" Rear Pro TV ?!?
I personally have a 32" 16:9 flatscreen CRT by SHARP (not available in the US), my next screen will either be a 34" HD CRT or the absolute "king" of them all, the Pioneer Plasma (are there seriously any other choices??)
You're kidding, right? Of course there are "good" RPTVs. The biggest problem with them now seem to be keeping contrast low to prevent burn-in and a periodic tuneup- keeping the lens and the mirrors free of dust. Many sets have integrated easier auto-convergence that give you a stunning picture for a third to half of what you would pay for a smaller screen with a less attractive picture. If you aren't rich then yes, there are seriously other choices than plasma.
Old 01-02-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
I have this one: http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_22655.htm

You might be able to find it on clearance at your nearest CompUSA or Sears...otherwise it's $1200 shipped from One Call (no tax).

The website shows that it's OOS, but give them call and ask if they can order you one.
Old 01-02-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I have this one: http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_22655.htm

You might be able to find it on clearance at your nearest CompUSA or Sears...otherwise it's $1200 shipped from One Call (no tax).

The website shows that it's OOS, but give them call and ask if they can order you one.
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it is 1" too wide. We are restricted to nothing larger than 45" due to the space it needs to fit in.
Old 01-02-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it is 1" too wide. We are restricted to nothing larger than 45" due to the space it needs to fit in.
Well that sucks....
Old 01-03-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As you've probably realized, that hard limit is very difficult to deal with with projection. The smallest screens are usually 46".

How about a monster direct view set? They still offer the best picture quality (by far, IMO) and are very easy to deal with. For example:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_34XB...?tag=pdtl-list is absolutely amazing and right in your price range.
Old 01-03-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11
As you've probably realized, that hard limit is very difficult to deal with with projection. The smallest screens are usually 46".

How about a monster direct view set? They still offer the best picture quality (by far, IMO) and are very easy to deal with. For example:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_34XB...?tag=pdtl-list is absolutely amazing and right in your price range.
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like we are going to check out that Mitubishi 48" that Shannon suggested first, before deciding what else we can do.
Old 01-03-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now when you say you are restricted to 45" do you mean restricted to 45" wide or 45" diagonal? If you mean the space where the TV will go is 45" then you can definately get a HDTV bigger then 45" since the 45" designation is for the diaginal measurement of the screen not the width.
Old 01-04-05, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Frank S
Now when you say you are restricted to 45" do you mean restricted to 45" wide or 45" diagonal? If you mean the space where the TV will go is 45" then you can definately get a HDTV bigger then 45" since the 45" designation is for the diaginal measurement of the screen not the width.
Yes, we are restricted to 45" wide, that is why we are looking at the 48" Mitubishi as a possibility (its 44.5" wide).
Old 01-04-05, 12:25 PM

I've been very pleased with my 46" Sony. I have the 500 model, here is the newer 520:

• Dimensions:

• 42 3/4" x 40" x 24" (1086 x 1017 x 609mm)

specs
Old 01-04-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stinkeye
I've been very pleased with my 46" Sony. I have the 500 model, here is the newer 520:

• Dimensions:

• 42 3/4" x 40" x 24" (1086 x 1017 x 609mm)

specs

Is that even a true HDTV? The only thing I see mentioned is 'Hi-Scan 1080i™'. If you look at the rest of their tv's they specifically say 'High Definition'.
Old 01-04-05, 03:22 PM

Is that even a true HDTV? The only thing I see mentioned is 'Hi-Scan 1080i™'. If you look at the rest of their tv's they specifically say 'High Definition'.

You will need a HD receiver, it does not have one built-in. Here are more reviews for the KP-46WT500, the previous model (my set):

KP-46WT500

Note: you will want the optional stand for this unit. If you shop around you can find it free with the tv purchase.
Old 01-04-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stinkeye
You will need a HD receiver, it does not have one built-in. Here are more reviews for the KP-46WT500, the previous model (my set):

KP-46WT500

Note: you will want the optional stand for this unit. If you shop around you can find it free with the tv purchase.
Ok thanks for the info. I own a 32 WEGA HDTV that I love, so I think this Sony might be more of a possibility than the Mitsubishi.