Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

COMEDY OF TERRORS / THE RAVEN already OOP????

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what's going on with this MGM Midnite Movie double-feature? It seems to be out-of-print already as most on-line stores are all sold out and DVDAficionado lists it as "Discontinued". I know some of the early single-movie Midnite Movies are being phased out because they're now being reissued as doubles, but why has this double-feature which was only released a little over a year ago already OOP. Rights issues??? Anyone got the scoop?
Old 12-29-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Bestbuy.com has the double feature in stock.
Old 12-29-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by man*machine
Does anyone know what's going on with this MGM Midnite Movie double-feature? It seems to be out-of-print already as most on-line stores are all sold out and DVDAficionado lists it as "Discontinued". I know some of the early single-movie Midnite Movies are being phased out because they're now being reissued as doubles, but why has this double-feature which was only released a little over a year ago already OOP. Rights issues??? Anyone got the scoop?
These are also officially out of print although many are still easy to find.....

Attic / Crawlspace
Deranged / Motel Hell
What's The Matter With Helen? / Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?
Masque Of The Red Death / The Premature Burial
Oblong Box / Scream And Scream Again
Countess Dracula / The Vampire Lovers
Haunted Palace / Tower Of London
Psych-Out / The Trip
Angel Unchained / Cycle Savages
Invisible Invaders / Journey To The Seventh Planet
Cry Of The Banshee / Murders In The Rue Morgue
Muscle Beach Party/Ski Party
Old 12-30-04, 02:59 PM

Thanks to OP for posting this message. I had been collecting the Midnite Movies Horror/Exploitation discs and didn't realize that they were going OOP.
I did some checking through a few websites, and it looks like even more are going OOP. I had to get What's the Matter with Helen/Who Slew Auntie Roo, Count Yorga Double Feature, and Two Headed Double Feature through Ebay.

Anyway, if you are looking to get any of the Midnite Movies, it looks like it's time to find them.
Old 12-30-04, 05:32 PM

Strange, because a friend just had a copy Masque/Premature Burial from DVDSoon.

Don't forget that many of the double titles, like the Count Yorga one, were Best Buy exclusives (and the idiots don't list them on their own website sigh!)...therefore, most online stores do not list them.

They were, however, made available to a couple of Canadian online shops; notably, DVDSoon.

It's highly unlikely that the batch released just this year - in August - would be going OOP after just four months!

I just got the Dr Phibes double from DVDSoon. That was released alongside the Yorga title.
Old 12-30-04, 09:40 PM

Yeah nebiroth is right, they're not OOP...they're just limited to certain stores(the ones he mentioned). Amazon etc list them as OOP because they can't order them from their distributors. And dvd Aficionado seems to use Amazon as it's basis for what's in print or not.
Old 12-30-04, 10:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Funny, I just bought COMEDY OF TERRORS / THE RAVEN at B B tonight. Seemed like a great double feature!
Old 12-31-04, 11:11 AM

I think that they really are out of print (along with the other titles listed ny laserdog)- they were general releases. But some places still have stock, or can get stock.

The real problem is caused by the Best Buy exclusives - now forming the majority of the Midnite Movies still in print. They should not be listed by anywhere except Best Buy (who, ironically, haven't put them on their website!) and a couple of Canadian online stores (DVDSoon for sure; I think the other one was DVDImport). Confusingly, some places correctly don't display them at all, but others list them but show them as "unavailable" or worse still "out of print".

All in all I think it was an absolutely stupid move by MGM. It's confusing, makes them difficult to get hold of (particularly in you live outside the US) and Best Buy made a terrible job of marketing them. Not on their website. From what I hear their staff have never heard of them. Even when they're on the shelves. Usually in the wrong place.

And the next lot is Best Buy only, as well. Bah. Just order 'em from DVDSoon.