Reload this Page >

Star Trek Animated: March 15, 2005!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-28-04, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Star Trek: Animated - Possible date for TAS DVDs?
Posted by David Lambert
12/28/2004

Last June we brought you the great news that Star Trek: The Animated Series was coming to DVD in 2005. Now three different websites are reporting that this release will occur on March 15th.

Information about this has been circulating since late last week at IGN Filmforce (near the bottom of the first page of their Star Trek report), at TrekToday.com (where they seem to mostly relay IGN's info), and at TrekWeb.com's news page (where you can find the "Stardates" box at the bottom of the left-hand column).

However, we should also caution our readers that this date hasn't been verified by official sources at the studios: Paramount's key staff for this matter are all out for the holiday week, and won't return until after the first of the year. We also attempted to contact Columbia House, which was identified by writer David Gerrold as the force behind the production of these discs. However, nobody we raised at Columbia House seemed to be aware of this title.

Our thanks to reader Tom Morter for the heads-up about these postings. Please stay tuned, and we'll let you know more about all of this just as soon as we can.

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2641

All news for this show:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=3972
Old 12-28-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool, looking forward to the Kirk is a Jerk episode!
Old 12-28-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder if it will have the 140 dollar asking price like all other star trek dvds
Old 12-28-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,391 Likes on 1,021 Posts
About time, worried about the price though.
Old 12-29-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
About time, worried about the price though.
Same here.

At most, this title should be half the price of the other Trek box sets since it was 22 half-hour episodes.
Old 12-29-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
i wonder if it will have the 140 dollar asking price like all other star trek dvds

I'm sure they will squeeze every penny out of it that they can.
Old 12-29-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well for more good news, this is rumored to be ONLY available through Columbia House Video.
Old 12-29-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well for more good news, this is rumored to be ONLY available through Columbia House Video.
Would it be available as enrollment titles? That might keep the cost down.
Old 12-29-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

However it's made available, I'm all over it.
Old 12-29-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the cartoon when I was a kid, but don't remember it that well. Is it actually any good, or just good for nostalgia value? In other words, is it closer to being a Warner Bros./Rocky and Bullwinkle in adult appeal, or closer to a Wacky Races/G.I. Joe?
Old 12-29-04, 02:31 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by buckee1
Same here.
Old 12-29-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Walter Neff
I watched the cartoon when I was a kid, but don't remember it that well. Is it actually any good, or just good for nostalgia value? In other words, is it closer to being a Warner Bros./Rocky and Bullwinkle in adult appeal, or closer to a Wacky Races/G.I. Joe?
It had a lot of the same writers, including David Gerrold and they even took (w/ permission) a story from another guy, I'm blanking on the name, I think Larry Niven.

It's been ages myself, but I think they've held up better than most cartoons.
Old 12-29-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts
The animation was horrid, but they got most of the original cast to do the voices, and some episodes had some good solid SF writers. If it's not too expensive, it's worth a buy.
Old 12-29-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dstrauss
The animation was horrid, but they got most of the original cast to do the voices, and some episodes had some good solid SF writers. If it's not too expensive, it's worth a buy.
I would'nt say the animation was "horrid". It was on par with the animation of its day. If we compared it with the animation of say, Princess Mononoke, yes, it would pale considerably. But for what it's worth and from when it was done, I think it's actually pretty good. I've been watching VCD's of the series for several months now and they still look pretty good.
Old 12-30-04, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Have to agree here...Filmations was a REALLY cheap animation outfit. Basically, a drawn image was slide back and forth across the screen, to project the illusion of movement. The stories on TAS were sometimes good, sometimes bad. Like you mentioned...if Paramount (or Columbia House) doesn't over-price them, I'll pick it up.
Old 12-30-04, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Well, they were cheap, but they were pretty good too - one of the first studios that did rotoscoping for TV animation that I can recall.

This one should be fun - a hundred bucks for 22 episodes. That'll take some balls, Paramount. . . .
Old 12-31-04, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Oh what a good idea. That should lock out the entire r2 market for one.
Old 12-31-04, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by buckee1
Ditto.

The animated series was awesome! No way I cam pass this up.

-Jason
Old 12-31-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
If it is Columbia house, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on Timelife.com eventually, and it will end up cheap.
Old 12-31-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered a complete set of VHS tapes back in 1990 when this first became available in Canada and have never regretted the purchase. Yes, the animation is far from first rate, and there are some hilarious errors that can be nitpicked (ie: half the time when Kirk calls McCoy in sickbay, the next scene of Kirk 2 seconds later shows McCoy standing right next to him on the bridge). However, the writers of the episodes were first rate, with such episodes as Yesteryear (DC Fontana), Beyond The Farthest Star (Samuel A. Peeples), The Slaver Weapon (Larry Niven adapted from his short story "The Soft Weapon") and The Jihad (Stephen Kandel) being personal favorites. If I remember correctly, Yesteryear and The Slaver Weapon were considered 2 of the finest episodes based on story premise by the fan base.

As long as the cost doesnt get prohibitive, I will be all over the DVD release. Its definitely a nostalgia value purchase, but perfect popcorning material to kick back with. And the soundtrack will bring back memories for any thirtysomething viewer who grew up with late 70's early 80's morning cartoon serials...the ST TAS score was used in many of those Saturday shows.
Old 12-31-04, 03:16 PM

While we in r2 will have to get someone to buy it for us from Columbia House or get a copy from Ebay.

Stupid stupid stupid!

We can only hope that it will end up with a separate r2 release (will they really want to miss out on this whole market?). Land of the Giants is a Columbia House exclusive in r1, but it was on a list of "wants" Fox asked us to vote for here in r2. Alongside Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Time Tunnel. Which we're getting in 2005 and you in r1 aren't.

Thankfully I have the whole lot on tape; the VHS releases here missed two episodes (we got five tape of four each). They missed out How Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth, The Counter-Clock Incident two great episodes. So I taped them from TV when Sky TV showed them in it's very early years. <cackle>
Old 01-01-05, 10:31 AM

I'd like to see the animated series packaged like the three TOS box sets that just came out. Make it look like the "fourth" season.
Old 01-01-05, 01:52 PM

Glad I held off on the bootlegs. This may be wishful thinking, but Damn I hope there are SOME kind of extras on these. Commentary with Nimoy et al would be great, before its too late!! These guys are getting old. And how about a music only track, dammit! Those 70s jams are too bitchin.
Old 01-01-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
I haven't watched Star Trek: TAS since the late 80s (when it ran on Nick), but I remember quite a few decent episodes... at its high points it was probably better than the third season. It certainly wasn't the disaster it could've been.
Old 01-01-05, 10:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I take it none of you know what LD's are. I was watching it and my son came home and asked if had just came out on DVD.

They look pretty damn good on LD. They better be pretty cheap for me to double dip!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.