Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Event Horizon: SE - straight from the director's mouth

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Event Horizon: SE - straight from the director's mouth

Though not a fan of Paul W.S. Anderson, I do kinda like Event Horizon & have noticed it gets quite a few mentions around here. I noticed this on www.darkhorizons.com this morning:

Anderson also confirmed he's planning a special edition of the sci-fi/horror flick "Event Horizon" for next year which will include a lot of deleted material:

"Looking back at that movie, there are things that we took out of the film [and] I think the movie would be better with those things in there. Paramount has sold so many DVDs of it that they’ve offered to do the fully-fledged ‘You can reintegrate the scenes and we’ll pay for it to be remixed and everything’ version. The problem has been actually finding all of the materials because it’s been quite a long time, so we’re still at the point where we’re trying to decide if it makes sense to do a director’s cut or whether [we should just include] a lot of deleted material with a separate commentary explaining why it was taken out and where the scenes would have gone. Or we may do a branching version of the DVD so you can see where those scenes may have sat."
Old 12-28-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like the movie as is, but I may double dip if the transfer could be improved.
Old 12-28-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
creey movie....if they branch it hope it doesn't go the x-men 1.5 route of movie is anamorphic, deleted scenes are not
Old 12-28-04, 09:56 AM
Banned

I am so buying this! I don't care about extras, I just want a new transfer!
Old 12-28-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I just picked it up pretty cheap so I'd be all over an SE.
Old 12-28-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the movie but I have been holding off on this for a long time in hopes of a better transfer and perhaps a SE. I will say that I thought this movie had alot of potential but IMHO it seemed to fall a little short. I can't really put my finger on what needed more attention but it seemed like everything was rushed with as little detail as possible given. Anyway, that is my opinion. Hopefully the deleted scenes will really add to the movie.

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-28-04, 10:25 AM

This is one of my favorite movies, a SE is a no-brainer for me.
Old 12-28-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice news - I like the movie enough so that a better edition would be a must for me.
Old 12-28-04, 10:53 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Fantastic news - will be picking this up for sure!
Old 12-28-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellenté!
Old 12-28-04, 11:12 AM

Great news, glad I held off for so long on the barebones ed.
Old 12-28-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice for the fans, I suppose, as Anderson has been promising it for a while now.
Old 12-28-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

awesome, I don't have this one. saw it in the theatre and it scared the shit out of me. good move!
Old 12-28-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 432 Likes on 252 Posts
Great! I've been holding off on buying Event Horizon for a long time, hoping for this.
Old 12-28-04, 02:07 PM

It was announced a while ago for UK release, and I think it was suposed to be early 2005, so it may come still, but its been a long time in the making so just hope it finally comes out as I have held off for years because it was rumored a long time ago.
Old 12-28-04, 02:09 PM
Retired

Cool. I'll probably pick this up. Like the flick, never got around to buying it.
Old 12-28-04, 02:27 PM
Banned

Old 12-28-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I enjoyed this movie all the way to the end, until Sam Neill became a naked, disfigured kickboxer. Watching him fight with Fishburne made me laugh, and I was very disappointed in the silliness of it. Otherwise, a great, creepy movie.
Old 12-28-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Im all over that... I think its his best film and would gladly double dip for it.
Old 12-28-04, 03:51 PM

Not to threadcap, but some would say that "Straight from the Director's Mouth" should be taken with a grain of salt in Anderson's case. He also says all the good scenes were cut out of AVP, which other people on the crew outright deny and say were never even shot.

I'm curious to see this too though. Hopefully it won't go on the Imaginary shelf next to the AVP: Director's Cut.
Old 12-28-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may have to pick up the barebones version now, just in case it goes with an "EXTENDED EDITION ONLY" route...
Old 12-29-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

awesome!
Old 12-29-04, 09:27 AM

Wonder if this cut is as sick as everyone said it was, as they said it was wayy to extreme to be released, makes you wonder if they will pre cut it before release if its that sick.
Old 12-29-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Anderson
"Looking back at that movie, there are things that we took out of the film [and] I think the movie would be better with those things in there. Paramount has sold so many DVDs of it that they’ve offered to do the fully-fledged ‘You can reintegrate the scenes and we’ll pay for it to be remixed and everything’ version..."
I'm so glad Paramount would let Anderson do this, but not Shatner with ST V!

Last edited by Brain Stew; 12-30-04 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-29-04, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geist
Not to threadcap, but some would say that "Straight from the Director's Mouth" should be taken with a grain of salt in Anderson's case. He also says all the good scenes were cut out of AVP, which other people on the crew outright deny and say were never even shot.

I'm curious to see this too though. Hopefully it won't go on the Imaginary shelf next to the AVP: Director's Cut.

Not to go off-topic, but according to Amazon's listing for AvP, it shows that the AvP disc will have two versions, the 90-minute theatrical with commentaries, and a 101-minute version with no commentaries.

So if that's true, then I'm just wondering how much credibility 'those other people on the crew' have.

Amazon listing and review is as follows:
Run Time: 101

DVD Features:
Available Audio Tracks: English
Commentary by director Paul W.S. Anderson, Lance Henriksen, and Sanaa Lathan (theatrical version only)

Commentary by Alec Gillis (alien effects), Tom Woodruff Jr. (alien effects), and visual effects supervisor John Bruno (theatrical version only)

Includes theatrical version and an extended version with a new beginning

Deleted scenes

Making-of featurette

Dark Horse comic book cover gallery

DVD-ROM: the first edition of the AVP comic book, AVP comic book background study, exclusive 16-page preview of the upcoming AVP graphic novel

-----------------------------------------------

In delivering PG-13-rated excitement, Alien vs. Predator is an acceptably average science-fiction action thriller with some noteworthy highlights, even if it squanders its opportunity to intelligently combine two popular and R-rated franchises. Rabid fans can justifiably ask "Is that all there is?" after a decade of development hell and eager anticipation, but we're compensated by reasonably logical connections to the Alien legacy and the still-kicking Predator franchise (which hinted at AVP rivalry at the end of Predator 2); some cleverly claustrophobic sets, tense atmosphere and impressive digital effects; and a climactic AVP smackdown that's not half bad. This disposable junk should've been better, but nobody who's seen Mortal Kombat or Resident Evil should be surprised by writer-director Paul W.S. Anderson's lack of imagination. As a brisk, 90-minute exercise in generic thrills, however, Anderson's work is occasionally impressive... right up to his shameless opening for yet another sequel. --Jeff Shannon --This text refers to the Theatrical Release edition.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.