Reload this Page >

Prince of Persia sucks!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Prince of Persia sucks!

Old 12-28-04, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts
Prince of Persia sucks!

Ok so I finally got PoP and PoP The Warrior Within for Christmas. I just popped in PoP, and the first few minutes I enjoyed it....until I had to rebound jump up that damn chimney. I have died over 100 times in the tutorial level!!! The controls in this game are awful. I take one wrong step and I die. Press one button ever so slightly the wrong way, and I'm dead. Forget to press a button at just the right time, dead.

I am sick and tired of hearing "no, no, no, that's not what happened"

Has anyone else experienced this while playing the game? I want to keep it, but I feel like throwing it out the window.
Old 12-28-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just tried jumping up the stupid chimney again, and I couldn't get higher then 3 jumps. Did manage to die another 25 times, though.

No game has ever frustrated me more then this one. Glad I only paid $20 for it.
Old 12-28-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume you're talking about the part before you grab the sands of time in the beginning of the game. It sucks, but I had to do it about a hundred times. The good part is, after you get the sands, you can rewind time to change a mistake.
Old 12-28-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree that rebound jumping was probably the hardest move for me to master. But I got the hang of it, eventually.
Old 12-28-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I finally figured out that you have to hold the button down as opposed to tapping it quickly. Ugh, how awful that "puzzle" was.
Old 12-28-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you people not play Metroid? Or any of the other bazillion games that required the wall jump?

I had a hard time remembering what puzzle you were referring to because I don't believe I even died jumping up that wall. Not that I'm such great shakes. I got suck on a puzzle about 70% through and haven't touched POP in months.

Strictly Pirates! for me now. With a few quick games of ESPN NCAA Basketball thrown in to mix things up.

Speaking of frustrating... playing Syracuse with Albany (my starter school). Now that's a frustrating exercise in futility.
Old 12-28-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
The key is to hold the jump button BEFORE you hit the wall. Don't try to time it to when you're exactly hitting the wall. It doesn't require precise timing.
Old 12-28-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
You sir are off your rocker. This game rocks! The wall jump did take some practice though, and even after finally figuring out that you have to hold the button instead of tap, I still fell to my death a handful of times on later levels. Definitely a hard move to master.
Old 12-28-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the game and stopped playing midway through. I had no issues with the controls though; they came pretty easily for me on my PC. However some of the puzzles were tedious and turned me away from the game.
Old 12-28-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omg... please don't tell me that all i had to do was hold the button down... it took me a decent amount of time to get thru that chimney part timing the taps.

game is toooooo easy. you needed to know 2 fighting moves (jump over/slash and bounce off of wall/slash). the hardest part was the timing of the jumps to get up and down high towers/chimneys. and i may have said this earlier, but just because i have to swing from pole to pole isn't a game. it took no skill and except for the cool factor, might as well have put stairs there. same w/ walking tight ledges... you couldn't really fall off or anything... anyway, imo, this game gets a 6/10. great design/ambience. simplistic game.
Old 12-28-04, 11:00 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know this is not a fair statement...but I don't want to play this game because the ads I see in my magazines --- annoy me and get on my nerves. I know that is ridiculous --- but I hate seeing those Warrior Within ads. That is the only game that has that affect on me -- I don't know why...I guess I can't stand the character you play or something.

wlj
Old 12-28-04, 12:27 PM
Retired

I had no problem with that part. I thought the first one was pretty easy, other than a few battles here and there where you had to kill a ton of guys at once.
Old 12-28-04, 02:26 PM

Face it, the one who sucks is your skills at gaming .
Spoiler:
i'm kidding! i know, cheapshot, I couldn't resist

I wouldn't go as far as to say it sucks, but I don't think the game deserves all the raving praise it gets. It's still a nice game, but I thought it was pretty easy, except I have to agree with josh that those long fighting parts were the only problem areas, and annoying.
Old 12-28-04, 02:45 PM
Retired

Yep, annoying as hell. Those spots knocked a point of the score for me. Down to an 8.5. I'd give it a 9.5 otherwise.
Old 12-28-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I am giving it another chance, it is pretty cool. But I agree with fumanstan, the puzzles are very tedious. It's like a Tomb Raider nightmare or something

I just got past the part where you meet the princess (I think she's a princess)....
Old 12-28-04, 04:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 899 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I just tried jumping up the stupid chimney again, and I couldn't get higher then 3 jumps. Did manage to die another 25 times, though.

No game has ever frustrated me more then this one. Glad I only paid $20 for it.
you got it for X-Mas, yet paid $20??? stingy relatives!
Old 12-28-04, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the POP games. It took me two tries to do the wall jumping. Did you not ever play Mario 64 or any other platform game?? Mario 64 had wall jumping too.
Old 12-29-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598

Bought with a gift card I got for Christmas
Old 12-29-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I love the POP games. It took me two tries to do the wall jumping. Did you not ever play Mario 64 or any other platform game?? Mario 64 had wall jumping too.
Never really got into Mario 64.
Old 12-30-04, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you find the puzzles a little too complex, or time consuming, you should still give POP2 a chance. They vastly improved the fighting system (which sucks in the first one) and simplified the puzzles. They are much more strait forward and are more like simple obstacle courses instead of puzzles you have to figure out.
Old 12-30-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy

Bought with a gift card I got for Christmas
And his relatives only charged him $15 for the gift card.

- David Stein
Old 12-30-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
If you find the puzzles a little too complex, or time consuming, you should still give POP2 a chance. They vastly improved the fighting system (which sucks in the first one) and simplified the puzzles. They are much more strait forward and are more like simple obstacle courses instead of puzzles you have to figure out.

That is a disappointment for me. I preferred the puzzles over the fighting.
Old 12-30-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sfsdfd
And his relatives only charged him $15 for the gift card.

- David Stein
Actually $17, they weren't in a very festive mood.
Old 01-02-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I bought it a couple months ago and breezed through it. I thought it was a really good game but not sure it was deserving of all the praise. It was really well designed, looked great, played great, I guess it was just repeatative and gets old pretty quickly. It is just the right length though, not too long.
Old 01-03-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman
I bought it a couple months ago and breezed through it. I thought it was a really good game but not sure it was deserving of all the praise. It was really well designed, looked great, played great, I guess it was just repeatative and gets old pretty quickly. It is just the right length though, not too long.
I am feeling the same way as you. It may be a cool game, but I just can't get into it enough to like it. I find myself going to Gamefaqs every 5-10 minutes because I have no idea what to do. I don't have time for that, and the visions don't really help. Right now I am in the area before you get the new sword, I think.

I might just toss PoP aside, and try PoP 2. I want to at least play the sequel and see if I like it better. It looks like I'll be getting rid of both games before the end of the month, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.