Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Northern Exposure - The Complete Second Season'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-04, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Northern Exposure - The Complete Second Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13616 and...it is apparent that he is unaware of that much of the original music, which is integral to the structure of the show, has been eliminated. Please give us reviews by reviewers who know their stuff, which in this case would include some prior familiarity with the series as well as the knowledge that Universal has set these much-anticipated DVD releases at a high list price on the basis of the cost of licensing said music; clearly, Mr. Sinnott lacks the background necessary to make an informed call on this particular set (although he writes well and is correct that the series really began to hit its stride in the second season).
Old 12-26-04, 03:47 PM
Defunct Account

Someone else mentioned this, and I looked here on DVDTalk and other DVD related boards and couldn't find any mention of it. I asked the other person where they obtained their information, and they never replied.

So, I'm glad you posted here Lass, what songs have been changed and where are you obtaining your information. While it is possible that no one else has noticed it here on DVDTalk, there are several threads concerning other shows where soundtracks have been changed. I would have predicted that someone here would have posted something. So please tell me why you believe that this set has been altered. (And please don't say Amazon.com reviews, the least reliable source of DVD information on the web.)
Old 12-29-04, 11:12 AM

Nooooo! its been changed too!? if so thats bad I already have it and I never saw the 2nd series so I wouldnt be able to tell anyway, but knowing they have cut music out pees me off its evil.
Old 12-29-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would appreciate a follow-up to this also.
Old 12-29-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a web site that lists the music used for Northern Exposure if that helps.

http://www.glump.net/docs/northern_exposure/index-2.htm
Old 12-30-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont remember any of the music anyway and fell in love with the show again while watching the 2 shows together, its not like they changed the theme song. I think with teen shows where they license so much up to the minute music it'd be more important
Old 12-31-04, 08:48 AM
Defunct Account

Thanks for the link Laser, I'll check it out later today and post my findings here.
Old 12-31-04, 10:16 AM
Defunct Account

Well, I checked and it seems that some of the music has changed.

I compared a couple of episodes with the original soundtrack s listed in the link that Lasermovies supplied. And while some important songs were kept in, several were changed. Now, I'm no expert on music, and I didn't check every single song. I wouldn't recognize half of them anyway. I did go back and look for songs that I'm familiar with. "Simply Irresistible" by Robert Palmer was intact in Spring Break, which was important since Joel was dreaming that he was in the music video and it was an integral part of the scene. The episode What I did for Love did have "I'm in Love With a Wonderful Guy" and "You Do Something to Me" but the later didn't sound like Sinead O'Connor to me (though I could be mistaken) and I didn't hear "I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady. The season finale, Slow Dance, had one of the most glaring examples of misused music. Chris in the Morning read a new report that a Russian satellite is going to crash to earth and compares that to the demise of the dinosaurs. He ends his little stream of consciousness monolog with "and this is for all the dinosaurs." but the music that he's playing is just Muzak, and doesn't relate to what he's saying at all.

I've altered my review, and knocked my rating down a notch to "recommended."

Thanks a lot for providing that link Laser! I didn't want to alter my review based on an internet rumor, and that was just the info I needed.
Old 12-31-04, 11:36 AM

Thas such a shame they changed some of it its really getting to be a big thing with some shows and its just irratating as hell to people who want the real show guess theres nothing we can do and just hope it doesnt effect future episodes more as I do remember some songs make some episodes, so fingers crossed it all doesnt crumble with future season.
Old 01-02-05, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any announcements as to when Season 3 will be released? Although I'm a little wary of what the price will be considering this will be the first full season with 20+ episodes, they wanted so much for just 7-8 eps. I say do away with the parka packaging please if it will reduce the price.