1)

Which ones are the better "blind buy" ?

2)

Please, rate each one from 0 up to 10.

Thanks in advance.

Edgler
Old 12-26-04, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only vouch for Monk myself, It's a great show and Tony Shaloub is a riot.

Check out the Offical Site for Monk and find out a bit more about the show.
Old 12-26-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Carnivale is my favorite show from last year, and I'm eagerly anticipating the second season. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, though. The pacing is pretty slow (more like a book than a movie) and many of the show's mysteries remain unexplained at the end of the first season. However, I love how fully realized the show's world is. It sets up its own mythology and I have no idea where the story is ultimately headed (other than some kind of final battle between good and evil). It's a little like Stephen King crossed with David Lynch; if that sounds interesting to you, go for it.
Old 12-26-04, 11:59 AM

Carnivale - The Complete First Season
Rating: 9
However, I would hesitate calling this a good blind buy, because it's fairly expensive and some aren't into this style of show. Since it's already released, I'd suggest renting the first disc to see if you like it. Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, etc should probably have it available.

Wonderfalls - The Complete Series
Rating: 8
This show is quirky and fun, and while I've only seen a couple episodes, I'm definitely looking forward to picking up the set when it comes out.

Monk - Season One / Season Two
Rating: 6
This is a really good show, but it's just not one of my favorites. I'd try to rent it first or catch some episodes on TV to see if it works for you.

Las Vegas - Season One Uncut & Uncensored
Rating: 7
I LOVE this show, but I'll be honest in saying that there's no amazing acting or drama going on. It's a "popcorn" TV Show... pretty much what you would expect from the guy that did The Fast & The Furious movie. Still, the show is very entertaining and the characters are great with excellent interactions and dialogue. Try catching an episode on TV (Mondays at 9pm on NBC) to see if you like it.
Old 12-26-04, 12:12 PM

Carnivale - 9 - Very well done show, but it will depend how the next couple of seasons go before I could say it's a classic. The potential is there, and it's worth watching. If you're not going to watch season 2 on HBO you might as well wait though.

Wonderfalls - 9 - More idiosyncratic than the other shows on your list, I personally loved every element but I can't say it's for everybody. If I personally had to choose one, this'd be the one I chose.

Monk - 7 - A solid show that's a bit of an homage to well-loved but somewhat dated mystery dramas like Murder She Wrote or Columbo. Classic tv mystery formula: strange death turns out to be murder, many suspects, neurotic detective who's always ultimately wiser than the police. That kind of show lives or dies by it's recurring cast, and Monk has one of the best. Shaloub's Monk is just an interesting character.

Las Vegas - n/a - Never seen it.
Old 12-26-04, 12:31 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Carnivale - 9
Monk - 7
Las Vegas - 7
Old 12-26-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Carnivale : N/A Never Seen
Wonderfalls: N/A Never Seen

Monk - Season One 8/10 Great show. I have watched S1 a few times. Colombo like, it is not very realistic, but a good mix of comedy and drama/mystery.

Las Vegas - 10/10 Excellent blind buy. Love this show, and everything about it, but then again, I am a little biased....
Old 12-27-04, 12:08 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
monk and wonderfalls are excellent. Las Vegas is mindless but entertaining and haven't seen carnivale.
Old 12-27-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All 4 are great shows for completely different reasons. You have to give us more information about what you're looking for if you want good responses. The "best" show on your list is Carnivāle. However, it might not be the best show for you. It has a very specific audience as I indicate in my review, and it's not something I'd recommend blind buying unless you already know that you love that style of show. Ironcially, Las Vegas is in the mail to me as I type this, so I should have a review up for it shortly as well. Having already seen the episodes, though, it's a very fun show worthy of attention. Of course, so are Monk and Wonderfalls, but for different reasons.

Do you want something dark and apocalyptic, a quirky and somewhat heart-warming semi-fantasy, a throwback detective show, or a light-hearted and slick drama about Vegas? Depending on what you're after, any of these shows would be a great purchase.

das
Old 12-27-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
3 of them are still on the air in some form I believe. Only one of those isn't around anymore (at least not in the US). Not only that, it also includes many episodes that were never broadcast (only 4 epiosdes made it).

For that reason alone, Wonderfalls should be at the top of your list. It's interesting because of those factors. It's a good show that wasn't given a chance.

The others (At least Monk and Las Vegas) you can catch on TV to see if you like them or not. If you have HBO, I'm sure you can catch all three at one time or another. Why buy blind if you don't have to?
Old 12-27-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I rented the first disc of Carnivale having never seen the show (I do not have HBO) and watched the first 2 episodes this morning. Needless to say, I now own the box set and have watched thru episode 8. It is an amazing show, albeit slow-moving. I picked it up a fairly reasonable price of $63 from Costco. I have only seen a couple of episodes of Vegas and may pick it up at some point, but they are drastically different types of shows, not just in content.
Old 12-27-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Las Vegas !!!
Old 12-27-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Carnivale all the way.
Old 12-27-04, 03:07 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Like das started heading towards... can't really recommend anything unless you tell us a little more about what you are looking for... or perhaps some series that you have enjoyed in the past.
Old 12-27-04, 03:09 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Like das started heading towards... can't really recommend anything unless you tell us a little more about what you are looking for... or perhaps some series that you have enjoyed in the past.
Old 12-27-04, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by jrobinson
Thanks for the replies.

First : I donīt live in the U.S so I donīt have the chance to watch these shows in Europe.

Second: Series that I have enjoyed in the past ???

I love the following shows for completely different reasons :

- Sopranos
- Six Feet Under
- C.S.I
- Shield
- Nip/Tuck
- Twin Peaks
- Sex and the City

Yes ... they are drastically different types of shows !!
Old 12-27-04, 09:07 AM

I'd go with Wonderfalls
Old 12-27-04, 12:22 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen Carnivale, but really like the other three. I'd suggest Wonderfalls or Monk over Las Vegas though, since I think they're more consistently good. (Las Vegas does however have the best eye candy.) Quirky pseudo-religious fantasy or obsessive compulsive detective story? Both series have comedy overtones.
Old 12-27-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Edgler Vess •

I love the following shows for completely different reasons :

- Sopranos
- Six Feet Under
- C.S.I
- Shield
- Nip/Tuck
- Twin Peaks
- Sex and the City

Yes ... they are drastically different types of shows !!
OK then, given this list, I think you might really like Carnivāle.

das
Old 12-27-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
In all honesty, I haven't watched Wonder, Monk or Vegas...but I've been Netflixing 'Carnivale' and enjoying it immensely. I find it to be utterly compelling, dark (yes!) and as the reviewer here mentioned, it asks more from me, as the viewer, than any other series around.

I'm up for the challenge.
Old 12-27-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
"Carnivale" is probably my favorite show I go out of my to watch these days. ("Lost" being the second, and actually only other currently running series I go out of my way to watch.) But, like others have said, it's not for everyone. There's an obsessive eye for period detail -- it's almost impossible to believe that this was't shot in the 30s, and that they're on a modern set, excellent cinematography, a developing mythology, and a superb cast. But it also moves at a slow pace (the poster who compared it to a novel is spot-on), doesn't spoon-feed the viewer everything, and is still holding its cards close to its chest. Even though I love it, I can't recommend the DVD set as a blind buy at HBO's price.

"Wonderfalls" achieved a cult following before being cancelled after only four episodes. It's a very quirky show -- a lot like "Joan of Arcadia" with its sap replaced with bile and cynicism. Caroline Dhavernas, the lead, was a great find.

The other two, I don't watch.
Old 12-27-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1) Carnivale - This is a great show, but it gets very involved and very weird at points (it makes Twin Peaks look tame). If I where you I would netflix the first disc and judge from there.

2) Wonderfalls - Great Show, Great Blind Buy

3) Monk - Never liked the show, but that just me

4) Las Vegas - A very interesting show to watch, but It doesn't have much replay value, and it isn't one of those show that you kick yourself for missing an episode or two of.