Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Michael Mann's THE KEEP

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-04, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael Mann's THE KEEP

...was rumoured for the end of November. Didn't seem to happen...anyone have any info on this?

There are masses of deleted scenes which have made their way onto various versions - such as different ones shown by TV stations and the LaserDisc one - but last I heard this was going to be an all-but-vanilla release.

Shame, as the alternative ones are much closer to the book, particularly the Rasalom/Glaeken confrontation and end sequences....

OK so the book is much better, but I like the film. Very atmospheric!
Old 12-25-04, 06:29 PM

i have the WS LD and there is no deleted scenes that i know of
Old 12-25-04, 09:01 PM
Banned

Yeah, I was looking for that on dvd as well.
It was listed to come out in Nov.
Anybody know what happened to THE OUTSIDERS spec. ed. that was listed Nov. 2003?
Old 12-25-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There have been a few threads on this one of late. As I recall the last one had the release date revised to unknown. Sucks, huh? This is a movie they could have done soooooo much with, but even as it was I liked it.
Old 12-25-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always wished they would have done the stuff where the dead Nazis get up after thy all get slaughtered. The book was so good.
Old 12-26-04, 01:16 PM

It's such a shame that the extra scenes are usually left out, as they make the film rather closer to the book, and a tad less confusing to boot.

For example:

Some of the villagers discuss the arrival of the Nazis
Woermann discovering the bodies of the two soldiers who release Rasalom
Extended stuff about Eva and Glaeken, rather than them just jumping straight into bed with each other!
During Glaeken's sea voyage to the keep, the captain of the ship attempts to murder him to steal the gold he's carrying
The old man who maintains the keep with his sons is murdered by them as Rasalom's evil spreads beyond the keep
Eva pleads with Rasalom to allow herself and her father to live

Most important of all:

There's a real fight between Rasalom and Glaeken - rather than Glaeken zapping him with the magic wand! - and both of them fall into the pit below the keep.

Eva finds the body of Glaeken and he returns to life - fully human.

The final scene is of Glaeken, Eva and Prog. Cuza fleeing Romania by ship.

According to the site below, these were mainly screened by various TV stations in the US.

http://www.the-keep.ath.cx

This site (though the English version leaves a bit to be desired) is a mine of information. Including things like Molasar mugs, and The Keep themed Magic: The Gathering cards..
Old 12-26-04, 02:07 PM

One film I have always wanted to see but its just never on TV or on Vid or dvd either, looks like I will never see it
Old 12-26-04, 09:50 PM

A friend of mine called Paramount about The Keep DVD and the information he got was that it was being delayed until some time in 2005. No real date was set yet, but all this officail would tell him was that there was some legal problems that were still not ironed out which were holding up the release.
Old 12-27-04, 10:10 AM

Well at least it sounds as though it's being worked on...I bet one of the problems is the Tangerine Dream music.

And maybe F. Paul Wilson is holding things up - it's well known that he doesn't like the film.

Hardly surprising when you compare the novel to the film. I love both, but for quite different reasons. I tend to regard the film in terms of it being a work of art, rather than how it relates to the book. If you've read the book you'll probably be disappointed!. I was...but that still doesn't detract from the eerie quality of the film, not to mention the fabulous music, sets and location work.

At least if you read the book you can figure out what the hell is going on with the story...
Old 12-27-04, 10:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Additional scenes according to IMDb.
Old 12-27-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
And maybe F. Paul Wilson is holding things up - it's well known that he doesn't like the film.
Neither does Michael Mann. It was my understanding that the hold-up is because Mann is embarrassed by the film and doesn't want anyone to see it.
Old 12-28-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
That's an understatement. Read Wilson's short story, Cuts, in Soft and Others. The story is worth the price of the whole book. It's out of print but easy to pick up:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

But I don't think Wilson has any control over the film.

Hardly surprising when you compare the novel to the film. I love both, but for quite different reasons. I tend to regard the film in terms of it being a work of art, rather than how it relates to the book. If you've read the book you'll probably be disappointed!. I was...but that still doesn't detract from the eerie quality of the film, not to mention the fabulous music, sets and location work.
I think I hate the film more than anyone except Wilson.

At least if you read the book you can figure out what the hell is going on with the story...
I'd say just read the book and forget the movie.

Originally Posted by Josh Z
It was my understanding that the hold-up is because Mann is embarrassed by the film and doesn't want anyone to see it.
Now that makes sense!

Last edited by movielib; 12-28-04 at 12:27 AM.