Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Gamecube game that comes close to "Eternal Darkness"?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-04, 10:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

I have desperately wanted to recreate the experience on another Gamecube game that made me feel when I played and finished 4 times over that of ED. I want something very similar in terms of ease of play, graphics, longevity, length, and of course atmosphere.

Is there any game that has come along since that does this for Gamecube only? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Zelda: WW
Old 12-24-04, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Silicon Knights title-Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. The only game this year I've replayed five times. Good graphics, great atmosphere and cutscenes that are nuts. There's even some Eternal Darkness refereneces/easter-eggs in the game.
Old 12-24-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Zelda: WW
Yeah, the atmosphere is so similar.
Old 12-24-04, 01:07 PM

Ill second MGS Twin Snakes, that is one of the best games in the system.
Old 12-24-04, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by menaz
Ill second MGS Twin Snakes, that is one of the best games in the system.
really? also, by Silicon Knights? I had thought they weren't putting out any more titles. Also, I am not sure...I am not too much into the whole stealth/war-ish games. I tried Splinter Cell and hated it.

There really are references to ED in MGS? That is indeed intriguing I must say. Thanks for this help.
Old 12-24-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Resident Evil remake.
Old 12-24-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You'd be hard pressed to find any other game on any system that's similar or as well executed as Eternal Darkness is.

But yeah, Twin Snakes has some references in it. I didn't care for Splinter Cell either, but I liked MGS, you might also.

For scary atmosphere, Resident Evil Remake wins hands down. Though if you've never played RE it has a slight learning curve, but not that hard once you get used to it. there are multiple endings also. If you can wait a bit, in early january Resident Evil 4 is coming out and looks killer.

Zelda is also a great game, not necessarily the same atmosphere, but very epic and a must get. Metroid Prime and MP2 (which i've just started playing) are really good, atmospheric games, good gameplay, somewhat lengthy.
Old 12-28-04, 06:02 PM

I found this movie of Eternal Darkness on another forum, it's pretty cool and very well done, wasn't sure if i should make a new thread or not but here it is.

Major spoilers ahoy though. Don't watch unless you've beaten it.
http://homepage.mac.com/pluto_777/.M...AdNesSComp.mov

makes me want to go back and play it again. I forgot how twisted some of the parts of this game was. One of the things I liked was how the sanity effects changed the gameplay experience. I never got the World War II illusion in the cathedral level where you see the ghosts of wounded soldiers and nurses tending them, I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw it happen to my sister, it was a very elaborate effect. Sometimes I wonder what else there could be (even though I played the game 4 times).
Old 12-28-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've given ED 2 chances so far because everyone keeps raving about how good it is... I just couldn't get into it - and I like that kind of game. I guess when I changed to a different character I was kinda bummed.
Old 12-28-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
man that video is great. If that doesn't make you want to get the game I don't know what will. I played through it twice, back to back. Made the second time pretty easy. I'm sure if I went and finally did the third round it would be like a whole new game to me. It's been a while.
Old 12-28-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Outlaw
I found this movie of Eternal Darkness on another forum, it's pretty cool and very well done, wasn't sure if i should make a new thread or not but here it is.

Major spoilers ahoy though. Don't watch unless you've beaten it.
http://homepage.mac.com/pluto_777/.M...AdNesSComp.mov

makes me want to go back and play it again. I forgot how twisted some of the parts of this game was. One of the things I liked was how the sanity effects changed the gameplay experience. I never got the World War II illusion in the cathedral level where you see the ghosts of wounded soldiers and nurses tending them, I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw it happen to my sister, it was a very elaborate effect. Sometimes I wonder what else there could be (even though I played the game 4 times).
That video is cool. I wonder why somebody made it. Eternal Darkness was the most fun game I can remember, where I would actually really look forward to what was next, instead of just hoping to get to the next part, to simply be closer to finishing it. There were a few parts at the ned, that were a bit much though, overall great great game.
Old 12-28-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
I've given ED 2 chances so far because everyone keeps raving about how good it is... I just couldn't get into it - and I like that kind of game. I guess when I changed to a different character I was kinda bummed.
I thought it was just me. I rented ED and thought it was pretty good, but when I bought it and tried to play it again, I just couldn't get into it.
Old 12-29-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
ED is such an awesome game. I wish all survival horror games had solid controls like ED. Not sure if anyone else thought ED had good controls.
Old 12-29-04, 03:29 PM

I did. That is one of my all-time favorite games. I havent run across anything like it since.
Old 12-29-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
That video is cool. I wonder why somebody made it.
Probably a school project. Graphic design major. I had to make a movie trailer when I went through it. Cool stuff.
Old 12-29-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice video. Thought it felt familiar, with the powerful voiceover and the immense-power-after-death theme. Then I saw the spinning Silicon Knights logo at the end, and I remembered.

Ever play Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain? It's got the exact same atmosphere, only with a vampire theme. It also features voice acting that's excellent by today's standards, and that was phenomenal for the time (1997ish.) The gameplay is closest to the original Zelda, but without quite as much depth.

Highly recommended, scott, if you haven't played it yet. They made a PC port, so you can probably fleaBay a cheap copy.

- David Stein
Old 12-30-04, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
That video is cool. I wonder why somebody made it. Eternal Darkness was the most fun game I can remember, where I would actually really look forward to what was next, instead of just hoping to get to the next part, to simply be closer to finishing it. There were a few parts at the ned, that were a bit much though, overall great great game.
The video was made by Truedoggie, I believe he's well known for making these fan made videos. He's done some others but I haven't had time to track them down. I'm guessing he made it as a tribute to Eternal Darkness .
Old 12-30-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jediwicz
Another Silicon Knights title-Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. The only game this year I've replayed five times. Good graphics, great atmosphere and cutscenes that are nuts. There's even some Eternal Darkness refereneces/easter-eggs in the game.
BTW this is on clearance at Target. I just grabbed a copy for $7.50 on Monday.
Old 12-30-04, 05:56 PM

That was an amazing video! How can somebody make something like that? I now know there will never be another game quite like "Eternal Darkness", that is unless Silicon Knights resurrects themselves for the cube and creates "Eternal Darkness II: Revenge of the Ancients"!!
Old 12-30-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
I now know there will never be another game quite like "Eternal Darkness", that is unless Silicon Knights resurrects themselves for the cube and creates "Eternal Darkness II: Revenge of the Ancients"!!
Well, keep in mind that they milked the Kain series well past the point of interest.

- David Stein
Old 12-31-04, 10:07 AM

is ED still fun after playing and finishing 4 times? i haven't which is why i ask and wondering if i should purchase again for $10 that most have it at used price.
Old 12-31-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
is ED still fun after playing and finishing 4 times? i haven't which is why i ask and wondering if i should purchase again for $10 that most have it at used price.
it all depends on the player. to some it just might be tedious and what not, but after playing all 3 rune paths I had just as much fun as I did the first time around. I like how the enemies change on different rune paths, you have to use different runes to kill certain ones, and some enemies just get harder. those creatures that burrow into you, I forgot what path it was on, but they don't have heads, which make them harder to kill.

also I think after beating it 3 times, I had the option of going through the game in some sort of god mode.
Old 12-31-04, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
it all depends on the player. to some it just might be tedious and what not, but after playing all 3 rune paths I had just as much fun as I did the first time around. I like how the enemies change on different rune paths, you have to use different runes to kill certain ones, and some enemies just get harder. those creatures that burrow into you, I forgot what path it was on, but they don't have heads, which make them harder to kill.

also I think after beating it 3 times, I had the option of going through the game in some sort of god mode.
god mode? u sure bout that?
Old 12-31-04, 03:54 PM

Are you talking about getting the Mantarok rune?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.