Reload this Page >

Terminator 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Terminator 2

Old 12-23-04, 11:33 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terminator 2

I know it's been out a while, but after viewing some of the featurettes for the first time just now, there's an alternate ending that I can't seem to access.

One internet posting explained that the digits "82997" typed after the Special Edition was selected (which seems to imply the 'Ultimate Edition') unlocks this alternate ending. You get positive confirmation in the form of both the menu Terminaotr's eyes lighting.

This isn't working for me at all. I have tried typing 82997 at several places - no alternate ending. Does anyone know how to access it, and heaven-forbid that the DVD producers just put it in a deleted scenes section (like the T-1000 going through John Connor's room - only seen in the one featurette)?
Old 12-23-04, 11:43 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Try this one:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/eggs/read.php?ID=50
Old 12-23-04, 11:51 PM
Cool New Member

I didn't know about the Future... wording, but I entered 82997 several times - nothing. this was done on my main DVD player, and my Mac. I would be nice to learn why it won't work for me.

I just found the two scenes I referenced in the Chapter 38 Omitted Scenes, under Side B, Data Hub, Data Core, Core Data Sampling. Talk about deleted scened being buried.
Old 12-24-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yankee0066
One internet posting explained that the digits "82997" typed after the Special Edition was selected (which seems to imply the 'Ultimate Edition') unlocks this alternate ending. You get positive confirmation in the form of both the menu Terminaotr's eyes lighting.
OK, what you do is, you choose "special edition". Then, when you're on "play special edition" (right below "Go to theatrical edition"), type "82997" slowly. Each time, wait until a word appears to the left. When you hit 8, wait for "The". 2, wait for "Future". etc, through "The Future Is Not Set". The eyes will glow, that's true, but the better confirmation is that the new option, "play extended special edition" appears.

the T-1000 going through John Connor's room - only seen in the one featurette
Actually, that's in the extended special edition cut too, chapter 24.
Old 12-24-04, 12:51 AM

i read that in some cases you gotta press enter after every digit entered, that may help
Old 12-24-04, 07:26 AM
Cool New Member

I chose Special Edition, got the resulting sub-menu (Sensory Control, Mission Profiles...), and with "Play Special Edition" hilited, I tried waiting - 1 full minute - after hiting the "8" - nothing. So I tried hitting each slowly (about 2 full seconds between entering the next number) - still nothing. stopping, and replaying the disc, this time pushing enter after each digit - but that engaged the Special Edition (as if nothing other than the enter button has been pushed).

Sure wish this worked on mine.
Old 12-24-04, 07:44 AM
Cool New Member

OK. It just worked. I had to hit enter after each digit, and it only works on my 'main' DVD player - not my Mac.

The main player interprets each number as a potential chapter search, so if the Mac has/had a way to have its keystrokes be iterpreted the same way by its DVD Player software, it might work on the Mac too.

Anyways, it appears to work (thanks), so the next time I watch it, I'll very likely enter the combination and see this Extended Special Edition for the first time. As a last comment on this, would it have killed them to include instructions on this in the DVD's booklet? Even better, why not just include this Extended play mode at the menu without any key combinations to 'unlock' it? That way, *any* DVD player that could read the disc could view it.
Old 12-24-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yankee0066
As a last comment on this, would it have killed them to include instructions on this in the DVD's booklet?
Because it's an Easter Egg.

Even better, why not just include this Extended play mode at the menu without any key combinations to 'unlock' it? That way, *any* DVD player that could read the disc could view it.
Because that would've created the false impression that Cameron at all preferred that cut. I believe the extended cut is his preferred cut, but either way, it's not the one with the false ending. I, personally, just think it's cool to see the ending in context, instead of just watching it as a seperate scene as you can do on the 'Extreme' disc (though that, too, isn't immediately obvious).

Glad you got it working.
Old 12-24-04, 11:00 AM
Banned

The alternate ending for T2 more or less conflicts with the events in T3. Right? At least that's the way I interpret the thing.
Old 12-24-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, you guys are saying there's an additional extended version besides the one that comes up from the main menu?
Old 12-24-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want a MUCH easier way to access it, try doing a title search and just go to Title 3.
Old 12-25-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Fletch
So, you guys are saying there's an additional extended version besides the one that comes up from the main menu?
Yep, the UE has 3 versions of the movie: Theatrical, Special Edition and Extended Special Addition (via easter egg). When they called it the Ultimate Edition, they weren't kidding around.
Old 12-25-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
The alternate ending for T2 more or less conflicts with the events in T3. Right? At least that's the way I interpret the thing.
I've heard it said that, initially, Cameron preferred the alternate, and the studio wanted him to shoot a version which was more open-ended, so there could be a sequel. When Cameron saw the footage of the alternate, he didn't like it, partially because the old-age make-up looked so terrible.

But, yes,
Spoiler:
Judgement Day not happening and John Connor growing up to be a senator
does conflict with T3. Good thing it's not canon, eh?
Old 12-25-04, 03:20 AM

This is the UE one right? Not the Metel Covered one that came out when T3 was released?

Also, when are we going to get a pimped out DVD of the original? As a kid that was one of my favorite films. Personaly it ecks out T2.
Old 12-25-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by shawagg
This is the UE one right? Not the Metel Covered one that came out when T3 was released?
Well, when the UE was first released it was in a metal cover... plus it was less destructive But, yes, we're talking about the Ultimate Edition, not the Extreme Edition.

Originally Posted by shawagg
Also, when are we going to get a pimped out DVD of the original? As a kid that was one of my favorite films. Personaly it ecks out T2.
We're on our 2nd release of the first movie and the current SE was a good improvement over the 1st release. Maybe in the future with the next format but Cameron is pretty busy with current projects to revisit Terminator.
Old 12-25-04, 05:40 PM

Cool, I've have the UE (with the cool metal cover) sitting on my shelf... I should probably open that one day.
Old 12-25-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have both editions of T2. Favorite Movie of All Time. I know Lions Gate is gonna release another copy.....And I'll be first in line.