Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Napoleon Dynamite DVD: Smashing Expectations?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I actually had trouble finding the "Napoleon Dynamite" DVD Tuesday afternoon. My local Wal-Mart and Circuit City sold out early, and clerks at both stores told me they were stunned by how many people came in asking for it. I finally found it at Best Buy, where a huge display was nearly depleted. Anyone else have trouble finding it?

I thought this film made a relatively small splash at the box office and was more of a cult flick, but this thing seems to have exploded. This morning, I noticed a small item at Movie City News about this topic. I think it's great news for the film, but I'm still amazed by its success.
Old 12-23-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Even running tv ads for it here but i havent seen it in stores although when i do i will pick it up for sure,looks hilarious
Old 12-23-04, 11:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
I actually had trouble finding the "Napoleon Dynamite" DVD Tuesday afternoon. My local Wal-Mart and Circuit City sold out early, and clerks at both stores told me they were stunned by how many people came in asking for it. I finally found it at Best Buy, where a huge display was nearly depleted. Anyone else have trouble finding it?

I thought this film made a relatively small splash at the box office and was more of a cult flick, but this thing seems to have exploded. This morning, I noticed a small item at Movie City News about this topic. I think it's great news for the film, but I'm still amazed by its success.
Don't be amazed.

It's major cult film, but one where everybody who loved it is DVD savvy and bought a copy. It happens from time to time.
Old 12-23-04, 11:05 AM

Geeks Rule as Dynamite Lands at No. 1
Old 12-23-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
I thought this film made a relatively small splash at the box office
$44 million is not a small splash, especially when the movie cost less than half a million. I'm not sure exactly what the studio paid to acquire the movie, but it was about one-tenth of what it made. I'd say that's pretty solid. It was the big sleeper hit of the year, it made almost double what 'Garden State' did.
Old 12-23-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the movie and was barely able to get a copy at Best Buy. I think that Christmas has alot to do with this selling so much on its release week also. I was stunned at how it's a little hard to find the new Top Gun SE as well. Apparently Cruise and Dynamite are stocking-stuffer buddies.
Old 12-23-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
$44 million is not a small splash, especially when the movie cost less than half a million.
Holy crap, it made 44 mil? I had no idea. I just remember seeing it in an auditorium filled with exactly 9 people.
Old 12-23-04, 11:49 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
If was sold out pretty much everywhere here. My GF managed to find a copy at Hot Topic that came with a magnet for $24.99 (A bit expensive but well worth it)
Old 12-23-04, 11:50 AM

Geeks, sharks, lovable neurotics and a fast-food fiend have given the Sundance Film Festival one of its biggest years ever at theaters.

While none of the movies that came out of last January’s festival approached the $140 million success of Sundance’s all-time smash “The Blair Witch Project,” the independent-film showcase has produced a string of mini-hits.

First-time filmmaker Jared Hess’ “Napoleon Dynamite,” about a collection of Idaho nerds finding their place in the world, grossing $44 million in domestic revenues.

Director Chris Kentis’ shark nightmare “Open Water,” based on a true story of a couple mistakenly left behind among hungry predators on a scuba-diving trip, grossing $30 million in domestic revenues.

Writer-director Zach Braff’s romance “Garden State,” in which he stars as an actor reuniting with offbeat pals during a funeral homecoming, grossing $26 million in domestic revenues.

“Super Size Me,” tracing director Morgan Spurlock’s health deterioration on an all-McDonald’s diet, grossing $11.5 million in domestic revenues, impressive results for a documentary.

“There’s been a real blending of indie film and commercial prospects out of Sundance,” said Steve Gilula, head of distribution for Fox Searchlight, which released “Napoleon Dynamite” and “Garden State.” “Financially, other than ‘Blair Witch,’ I don’t think there’s any year that compares.”

Small films, small revenues

A combination of factors has contributed to the popularity of indie films. More small distributors have emerged, with some players willing to put up cash to market and widely release niche movies. Many independent filmmakers have moved from an esoteric art-house sensibility toward mainstream tastes. And audiences have a growing appetite for something beyond the usual Hollywood offerings, said Sundance festival chief Geoffrey Gilmore.

“I do think the independent film audience is maturing,” Gilmore said. “People are interested in things that aren’t fitting into the formulaic studio mold.”

***Saw another Sundance movie which was released after this article was published has since gone on to gross $55 million in domestic revenues.
Old 12-23-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
If was sold out pretty much everywhere here. My GF managed to find a copy at Hot Topic that came with a magnet for $24.99 (A bit expensive but well worth it)
The studio store was sold out by the end of the first day of the movie. I was really surprised how quickly it sold.
Old 12-23-04, 12:38 PM

Here in NYC, I have seen copies everywhere. I was told by a clerk that a lot of people have bought this dvd, more than the clerk expected, but it is definitely not a problem to find the dvd. Best Buy, FYE, Virgin, Tower, Circuit City, Costco, HMV all had tons of this dvd and were no where close to running out. The studios probably made sure that NYC stores had more than enough copies since there are more people who are into indy films in NYC than pretty much anywhere in the US.
Old 12-23-04, 12:40 PM

So what are the chances that this success doesn't mean a double dip will be put in production...?
Old 12-23-04, 12:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Well, two targets, 3 blockbusters, hot topic, and best buy were sold out come wednesday. Maybe we will see Napoleon Dynamite 2? Heh
Old 12-23-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
I was doing some last-minute shopping and saw copies out there.
Old 12-23-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Geist
So what are the chances that this success doesn't mean a double dip will be put in production...?

doubtful. Fox usually doesn't pay much attention to double dipping on the "indie" films they put out.
Old 12-23-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is not always about how much a movie costs or how many special effects they include. A good solid movie will sell. I had a friend telling me about ND but I have not seen it. I may have to pick it up based on the growing popularity.
Old 12-23-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Maybe we will see Napoleon Dynamite 2? Heh
No thanks.

This would make an excellent TV show though.

K
Old 12-23-04, 01:50 PM
Banned

I remember this happening with The Fast and the Furious when it came out. I stopped at Target, Mejier, and Best Buy before I finally called it quits. I was very suprised that it was gone that fast.
Old 12-23-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's sold out everywhere around me also. I picked mine up at a WalMart up near Charlotte on Tuesday.
Old 12-23-04, 06:22 PM

we got 10 copies in today at Hollywood Video, but they sold out by 3:30.
Old 12-23-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

asking the workers at the studio store. 2,000 copies sold out within 6 hours. Ouch.
Old 12-23-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember seeing a decent amount of them yesterday at Best Buy, but today at another Best Buy and a Circuit City, not a single one was to be found.
Old 12-23-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
went looking for it today. the place I work at (TRU) sold out, and I went to Best Buy afterwards and they just sold out today. nuts.
Old 12-23-04, 07:58 PM

I dropped by a Seattle area Best Buy on Tue and this DVD was totally sold out. I also overheard multiple customers asking about this DVD. I was definitely surprised but it seemed like all the new titles were selling out. I ended up getting the last copy of Shaun of the Dead (the last stack was literally disappearing while I browsed).
Old 12-23-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went to 2 Best Buys, Circuit City, Suncoast, Target, Walmart, Sam Goody, Fry's Electronics, Tower Records, and Borders.

Came home empty handed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.