Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Big Spoilers for Star Trek: Enterprise

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Big Spoilers for Star Trek: Enterprise (updated 1/27)

It's time again for some new spoilers for Enterprise, straight from executive producer Manny Coto to the Chicago Tribune:

Some highlights:
-Klingon forehead issue
-Section 31
-Mirror Universe episode with alternate opening sequence
-Consolidation of Solar System in Preparation for Federation building
-Potential Season 5 Federation arc

JUST KEEP TREKKIN': Last season, "Star Trek: Enterprise" hit a creative high point with the lengthy Xindi arc, and there's been just as much energy this season, which has so far featured a zingy guest stint by "Next Generation" star Brent Spiner and a swell three-parter set among battling Vulcans. Yep, there's plenty of life left in the old spaceship.

According to executive producer Manny Coto, the next upcoming mini-arc will focus on Capt. Jonathan Archer's attempts to forge an alliance among the cranky Andorians (they're the blue guys with wiggly antennae on their heads, whom the Enterprise has already met several times), the Vulcans and a species called the Tellarites, in a bid to thwart the wily Romulans.

"The Tellarites are a species who basically interact through insults. So there's some fun stuff there," Coto says. "After that, we'll be doing a two-parter with Klingons, which will begin to explain why the Klingons in the original [`Trek'] series are different than the Klingons in the later series," though the Klingon two-parter deals with much more than just the fierce race's appearance.

Coto says that at this stage, there are still no concrete plans to bring William Shatner to "Enterprise" this season, though he'd love to make that happen if possible. "I'm not sure what's happening there, it's probably a combination of money and scheduling and all that," Coto says of Shatner, who just received a Golden Globe nomination for his work on "Boston Legal."

Could Spiner return before the year is out? Coto says he wouldn't "rule it out."

Season 5 of "Enterprise," if there is one, will explore the founding of the multi-planet Federation, Coto says. But will "Enterprise" come back next year, given that fewer total viewers are tuning in to see the show now that it's been moved to Fridays?

"Enterprise's" renewal won't be decided until May, UPN head Dawn Ostroff says, but she adds that "We've gotten great feedback from fans. … The show is at a great place [creatively] and we're very happy with the ideas and execution."

Coto talks more below about where the show is now and where it's headed:

On whether having Brent Spiner on the show was partly a bid to bring "Trek" fans back to "Enterprise": "Absolutely. We had Brent coming in and that was a great opportunity to get people who hadn't tuned in a while to come back. And a lot of those people stuck around for the Vulcan arc, from what I've read on fan sites."

On feedback from UPN regarding ratings this season (on its new night, "Enterprise" has fewer total viewers than it had last season, but UPN is now getting higher ratings than it was last year on Fridays): "I don't even know the answer to that. I haven't spoken to anyone at the [ratings] performance, so I'd be talking in the dark. I don't know if they're happy or not. It's still pretty much up in the air [whether there will be a season 5]."

On his goals for the show: "We consciously set out to make this season a real prequel, to really embrace the prequel concept. We've got a great stories coming up, and I think there's a whole seasons' worth of great stuff, the founding of the federation.

"That's not something that can happen in three episodes at the end of the season – but we'll be headed toward the founding of the Federation [toward the end of season four]. I would love to make that a season-long arc, what's great about it is that it's a positive arc, instead of a story of pure conflict [like the Xindi arc]. It becomes an arc about trying to bring different cultures together.... which is a really resonant idea for our time. I would love to come back and we would do some serious research on the founding of the UN, how that came together."

On the final multi-episode arc of the season: "We'd like to bring our sights back to earth, to feature areas or landscapes of Starfleet we haven't seen, the Martian colony, the moon colony, our own solar system. The final story [of the season] will be mankind overcoming its own prejudices, to begin this process of [founding] the Federation. The last challenge will be our own solar system. The final obstacle will be ourselves."

On Trip and T'Pol's romance: "We are going to revisit that and scale it back so it won't be so prominent. I will say that they're heading toward an interesting culmination to their story this season."

On working with Jeffrey Combs, who plays Shran the Andorian (as well as several other memorable characters on various "Trek" series): "Jeff as Shran and Archer are so great together. [Shran] quickly became a favorite character on the show, so we knew we had to bring him back. [On set, Combs] has this incredible energy, he's like a pit bull with antenna."

On an upcoming "mirror universe" episode: "We're really excited about that one. It'll be as if you changed the channel to `Enterprise' and you get the mirror universe version of the show. We're even going to change the title sequence. People will be wondering, what show is this?"

Other tidbits:
"We'll see the return of the Orion slave girls. We're going to find out something very interesting about Orions and who rules their society. [Will this episode will include a love interest for Archer] Perhaps."
"The heart of the [upcoming] Klingon story features a conflict between Archer and [crew member Malcolm] Reed and the beginnings of [covert Starfleet intelligence group] Section 31."

Last edited by MvRojo; 01-27-05 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 07:41 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sound promising, but I'm not keeping my hopes up that it will be any good.
Old 12-22-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Sounds like some great ideas.
Old 12-22-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why waste some story about Klingon's foreheads? Worf's excuse for the 60's makeup was good enough.
What about a whole show how the Enterprise went from cool modern looking (ENTERPRISE), to crappy 60's colorful design (STAR TREK TOS)?
Old 12-23-04, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I glad to see ENTERPRISE is at least trying to stir things up this season...but it's not going to make much difference. Last I saw it was about 118th in the ratings...so there's no way UPN is going to renew it - which is a shame, since I'm guessing viewership will probably pick up some once they start releasing the DVD sets.
Old 12-23-04, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last I heard, if Shatner appears: it would be in the season cliffhanger.

I think that would be the smartest move Coto could make. UPN would be making a huge blunder to cancel Trek without resolving a Kirk-related cliffhanger.
Old 12-23-04, 09:18 AM

Sounds great so far but I agree that they really don't need to address the Klingon forehead thing. I mean, we all know the real reason and the DS9 'tribbles' episode addressed it as well as it needed to be.
Old 12-23-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The ideas sound terrific. If only Manny had gotten started earlier...

Yeah, the Klingon forehead two-parter sounds dicey. I hope they're not going to set up some elaborately lame plot rationalization for something we all know was really just a product of its times... Are they going to explain the mini-skirts and beehive hairdos next?

But who knows. DS9 treated the issue with good humor and intelligence, maybe Coto will do the same thing...
Old 12-23-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Even more perplexing than the existence of smooth-headed Klingons from the TOS is why said smooth-headed Klingons were wearing black leotards instead of body armor.

It's unfortunate that they just didn't use the old Klingon design in Enterprise or some variation of the same.
Old 12-23-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Even more perplexing than the existence of smooth-headed Klingons from the TOS is why said smooth-headed Klingons were wearing black leotards instead of body armor.

It's unfortunate that they just didn't use the old Klingon design in Enterprise or some variation of the same.
I have one word for you: budget.

Using the "old-style" Klingons in Enterprise would have been stupid, in my opinion.
Old 12-23-04, 01:02 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
What about Klingons in Dockers?

Old 12-23-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandoman
What about Klingons in Dockers?

These are the ones who sit in cubicles and have office jobs.

Seriously, we only see Klingon soldiers/warriors. What is the Klingon equivalent of Joe SixPack like? Must they die honorable and shit like that?
Old 12-23-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
Why waste some story about Klingon's foreheads? Worf's excuse for the 60's makeup was good enough.
What about a whole show how the Enterprise went from cool modern looking (ENTERPRISE), to crappy 60's colorful design (STAR TREK TOS)?
I didnt think it was any good. I saw it more as avoiding the topic all together.

the Mirror Mirror episodes were always good. Hope this is equally as good.

The ideas sound terrific. If only Manny had gotten started earlier...
I tend to agree. I blame the egos of B&B for that. They kept saying in interviews, we like what we're doing and we have a very strong show.
Yeahhhh, right.

which is a shame, since I'm guessing viewership will probably pick up some once they start releasing the DVD sets.
I dont see viewers tuning in after the DVD's come out. I think they will sell worse than Voyager did and people who are Trek fans and collect such things, for the most part, have given up on the show, so.... Even the positive reviews this season hasn't brought Trekkers back.
Old 12-23-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I for one don't see the pressing need for a Klingon forehead story, but as long as it doesn't give a stupid or contrived reason I don't mind. Plus, if it somehow leads to the development of Section 31 I'd like to see where they take it.
Old 12-24-04, 03:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MvRojo
On an upcoming "mirror universe" episode: "We're really excited about that one. It'll be as if you changed the channel to `Enterprise' and you get the mirror universe version of the show. We're even going to change the title sequence. People will be wondering, what show is this?"
So does that mean that the Mirror Mirror version of a sucky easy listening pop hit is a good, rocking techno piece?

Hmmm. . . might have to watch that one.
Old 12-24-04, 08:43 AM

I'm very interested in the Section 31 part.. however, I wonder how that's going to work since they got their name from being established in "Section 31" of the Federation Charter. So maybe they'll be happening when they start this consolidation of the solar systems.
Old 12-24-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I pretty much gave up on enterprise after they made one lady a captain. All I could think about is that one episode from TOS where the lady took Kurt's body in order to be captain. Even then females couldn't be captain. Then the borg thing was joke.

Maybe I'll give it another shot and try not to think of the other series. On different note Battlestare Galatica is all greatness. I hope they rerun season 1 before going into season 2.
Old 12-24-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I pretty much gave up on enterprise after they made one lady a captain. All I could think about is that one episode from TOS where the lady took Kurt's body in order to be captain. Even then females couldn't be captain. Then the borg thing was joke.

Maybe I'll give it another shot and try not to think of the other series. On different note Battlestare Galatica is all greatness. I hope they rerun season 1 before going into season 2.
The fact that in TOS women couldn't be captain was something stupid and reflected the 60's mentality. I'm glad they ignored that for Enterprise since it would be totally unrealistic now.
Old 12-25-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
It's been ages since I've seen "Turnabout Intruder," but I don't think the dialogue necessarily excludes the existence of female captains.

I think that Janet Lester said something to the effect of "Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women, it isn't fair." Which could mean that Starfleet doesn't allow women to captain ships, but it could also be a more general statement from Lester who is quite obviously batshit nuts anyway. She's also shown to have some pretty extreme gender views, so we could surmise that in her own mind she believes she wasn't allowed to take the captain's chair because of her gender, not her ability and mental stability. There is wriggle room there if you want to look for it.
Old 12-26-04, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

nobody nominated Star Trek Enterprise in my Cult TV Tournament yet.

(shameless plug)
Old 12-26-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Remember, the original pilot "The Cage" had Majel Barret as the First Officer. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Lester was talking about Kirk, or was delusional.
Old 12-26-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I first watched that episode, it was after I heard about the "debate" around that line. Hearing it in the context of the story, it was hard for me to imagine anything but the fact she was just some crazy bitch who thought she could never be "accepted" as a woman, and meant it in that way.

Even though it probably was written in the way Baron of Hell thought.
Old 12-27-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by turborobb
nobody nominated Star Trek Enterprise in my Cult TV Tournament yet.

(shameless plug)
Where is this tournament?
Old 12-31-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TK-421
I'm very interested in the Section 31 part.. however, I wonder how that's going to work since they got their name from being established in "Section 31" of the Federation Charter. So maybe they'll be happening when they start this consolidation of the solar systems.
Yeah, that's true. I guess it could be a loose configuration, and it's not until the Federation is chartered that they become an officially sanctioned, if secret, organization.
Old 01-25-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's some brand new spoilers for Enterprise:

-Riker and Troi in the final episode of season

-U.S.S. Defiant from TOS - "The Tholian Web" in Mirror Universe 2-parter
Set pics: http://saveenterprise.com/USSdefiant_exclusive.htm

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.