Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How can I get Koss to replace my DVD player without incurring any cost on myself?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How can I get Koss to replace my DVD player without incurring any cost on myself?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently initiated a claim for replacement of my KS4109 Koss Home Theater System. I am within the time frame they specified for returns. The DVD player skips on many DVDs that do not skip when it's played in another DVD player.

The CSR tells me (phone and email) that I need to repackage everything and ship it to them. It will then take several weeks to get a new item shipped back. I tried to explain to them that since this is a defective unit, I should not have to pay for postage to get it replaced. (tried calling the Sears, where I purchased it, but it's beyond the 90 day period) They insist that it is the company policy that I pay for the postage.

What recourse do I have? Shipping the item will surely cost around $40-$50 while I paid about $170 for the unit. I tried asking for a supervisor when I was on the phone but the CSR said that there was no supervisor on duty at the moment and that even if there was, he would say the same thing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. (sorry if this is not the correct place for this question. please direct me to the correct place.)
Old 12-21-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is typical return policy for electronics. The only other option I have found is that with Sony they have regional repair facilities that you can often drop items off in person, but that depends for my recent warranty issue w/my receiver they only would work on it at the PA facility so I had to box it up and ship it back. Sucks but that is the policy if you didnt like the warranty terms you should not have purchased it or purchased an alternative extended warranty. IMO with these cheap DVD players you get what you pay for, my two Sony DVD players are going strong after 6 and 3 years respectively. The $50 cyberhome player I had was dead after less than a year of LIGHT use, basically disposable.
Old 12-21-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you need to check your ground shipping costs. I could send a 50 lb package from Pennsylvania to San Diego, CA for $50 from a UPS retail store, one of the most expensive ways to ship from and you should not have to send the speakers.

I don't klnow where you are or your repair center but you should weight your dvd player then check at www.ups.com to see if its worth your money to ship it for repairs.

No way will Koss pay for your shipping because their policy would have been in the warranty information when you bought it. (I'll bet Sears tried to sell you a better warranty though) You're better off paying a few bucks to get a brand new unit.
Old 12-21-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kayak99
I think you need to check your ground shipping costs. I could send a 50 lb package from Pennsylvania to San Diego, CA for $50 from a UPS retail store, one of the most expensive ways to ship from and you should not have to send the speakers.

I don't klnow where you are or your repair center but you should weight your dvd player then check at www.ups.com to see if its worth your money to ship it for repairs.

No way will Koss pay for your shipping because their policy would have been in the warranty information when you bought it. (I'll bet Sears tried to sell you a better warranty though) You're better off paying a few bucks to get a brand new unit.
yeah, I mailed something via UPS as well. it was 29lbs and it cost me over $35. I asked if I have to included the speakers and they said yes. I'm in Mount Vernon, New York. I doubt that it's worth my time and money to send it back for a replacement. Sucks!

So what's a good recommendation for a new receiver/dvd unit to go along with my speakers?
Old 12-21-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy seperate's, all the HTIB I have seen or heard were low quality.

Anything from Sony/Panasonic/Denon/Onkyo/Toshiba/Samsung will likely be better than what you had. Set a budget and then look for reviews on players/receivers in your price range. Another thing to consider is warranty I ended up buying a Sony ES receiver even though it was more than the base line model because it has a 5 year factory warranty.
Old 12-21-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, buy a receiver and a separate dvd player. I have an HK and its great.
Old 12-21-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so should I keep the current speakers? the system is rated at putting out 520watts total (including sub). should I just sell the damned thing and start over or can I keep my current speakers.
Old 12-21-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
If Sears has the same product, buy one, replace it with the defective unit, and then return that one as well. Then Sears will take it back, and ship the defect back to the manufacturer.
Old 12-21-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
If Sears has the same product, buy one, replace it with the defective unit, and then return that one as well. Then Sears will take it back, and ship the defect back to the manufacturer.
Sweet! Someone with as low of morals as myself!
Old 12-23-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
OR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Go to Sears, nicely ask for the electronics manager, explain your situation and how unhappy you but want to remain a Sears customer. As nicely and firmly as possible, 1st try to exchange it at sears. If only the DVD is the problem ask if they can exchange just that item and you will keep everything else in the kit.

If that is a no go, see if they would be willing to ship it back for you and have the manufacture return it to Sears where you will be happy to come and get it when ready.
Old 12-23-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by runner001
so should I keep the current speakers? the system is rated at putting out 520watts total (including sub). should I just sell the damned thing and start over or can I keep my current speakers.
No reason I know of not to keep the speakers, at least while you are building your HT. If the connections are proprietary, you'll need to cut the wires. Not a big deal.
Old 12-27-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to Sears and purchased another of the same item to check and see if indeed I was unlucky and got a defective item or that they all have similar defects. At pickup (you pay first, then bring your receipt to the "pick up" location where someone brings your item out), the guy brings out a complete different looking box to my car. They brought out a sony system instead of the Koss system. ...

I'll leave the rest of this story unsaid.
Old 12-27-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do love Sears!
Old 12-27-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Sweet! Someone with as low of morals as myself!
I would only do this if I did not get any resolution to the problem. I've come across some shitty managers and just idiotic customer service people in my days, and just playing the game is a lot easier than asking them to actually do something. In fact, some of them prefer customers doing a switcheroo because all they do is label it defective and put it in the defect pile to be shipped out.