Reload this Page >

EA buys substantial share of Ubisoft. Act deemed "HOSTILE"

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-21-04, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got this from Game Informer site today.

EA once again shocked the gaming world earlier today when it announced that it had purchased a substantial share in French game publisher and developer Ubisoft. The company snatched up 19.9 percent of Ubisoft from European investment firm Talpa Beheer BV, which had been looking to sell its stake in the company for quite some time.

The stock acquisition now makes EA the second largest shareholder in Ubisoft behind the Ubisoft-founding Guillemot family, who currently holds a 22.8 percent share of the company.

While the move could be viewed as a prelude to a hostile takeover, EA recently downplayed the purchase, citing that they simply want to be "good shareholders, not necessarily activists." But in a statement given to Reuters by Ubisoft president Yves Guillemot, his side of the story is much more grim. "Pending further information, we consider this operation as hostile. We think this operation is aimed at securing the studios of Ubisoft that are ready to face the next generation of gaming consoles."

EA also downplayed the purported sinister motives, citing that they knew that Talpa Beheer BV was looking to dump their stake in the company and that Ubisoft's strong management and company reputation were a motivating factor in their purchase, not their bid to take controlling interest.

We'll bring you more details as soon as they become available.

-Chris Cook
Old 12-21-04, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Give it another 10 years and EA will own everything relating to gaming. It's like another MS in the making.
Old 12-21-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you buy EA games, you're buying communism.
Old 12-21-04, 10:53 AM

I'm just scared of what EA could do to Ubisoft games. EA's FPS have been bad for a while now (Goldeneye Rogue Agent, Medal of Honor Pacific Assault).
Old 12-21-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gr8fuldave
I'm just scared of what EA could do to Ubisoft games. EA's FPS have been bad for a while now (Goldeneye Rogue Agent, Medal of Honor Pacific Assault).
Maybe they'll make the next Price of Persia all extreme and angsty to attract more 12-15 year olds.

Oh shit!
Old 12-21-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Beyond Good and Evil 2. make it now.
Old 12-21-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore

Old 12-21-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I agree, but this would never happen under the EA label.
Old 12-21-04, 01:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Hopefully they will enact some sort of poison pill to keep EA at bay.
Old 12-21-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ubisoft is one of my favorite publishers - this would indeed suck.
Old 12-21-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

RainbowSix 3 could possible be the best shooter I've ever played online. I fuckin' love that game! This sucks
Old 12-21-04, 03:37 PM
Suspended

This is some GREAT news! EA stock jumped up through the roof today, thanks to the one-two punch of Ubisoft and the NFL deal! A very smart move to get some VERY nice numbers for the end of Q4.

It's gonna be a merry christmas for me, baby.
Old 12-21-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by El-Kabong
This is some GREAT news! EA stock jumped up through the roof today, thanks to the one-two punch of Ubisoft and the NFL deal! A very smart move to get some VERY nice numbers for the end of Q4.

Every EA thread has most people bad mouthing them and/or predicting demise, but there you are right on cue giggling like a schoolboy with your stock.
Old 12-21-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope EA crashes under their own mediocrity soon.
Old 12-21-04, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Get Me Coffee
RainbowSix 3 could possible be the best shooter I've ever played online. I fuckin' love that game! This sucks

Oh hell yeah GMC. hit me up on my gamertag and let's play some online !!!!
Old 12-21-04, 05:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by El-Kabong

Are you selling it? Otherwise how is it a Merry Christmas? Hopefully the stock tanks in the future.
Old 12-21-04, 05:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Are you selling it? Otherwise how is it a Merry Christmas? Hopefully the stock tanks in the future.
No, I'm not selling - day trading aside, the real money in the stock market is in the long term. I'm hanging onto my shares for a while.

As for tanking, unlikely. The only major, serious dips in recient memory are the ones after the stock splits (twice now I think, since I've been a shareholder). But that's the natural effect of the split, and not a downturn in the market. Those dips aside, it's been a pretty steady climb over the last 3 or 4 years now.
Old 12-21-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ack! We need an online petition! Quick!
Old 12-21-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate EA. I seriously avoid games by them, espically if they are a FPS.

Battlefield 1942 was going to be so much better, but they knocked it down to a T rated title
Old 12-22-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Maybe they'll make the next Price of Persia all extreme and angsty to attract more 12-15 year olds.

Oh shit!
Prince of Persia: BIG!
Old 01-04-05, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
good news for ubisoft fans: (from IGN)

France versus EA
The French Government is about to challenge everything.
By Jeremy Dunham

January 3, 2005 - According to a report from Yahoo! UK Finance, Ubisoft Entertainment could soon be receiving support from the French government in its bid to combat a takeover from US videogame monolith, Electronic Arts.

Yahoo's article was inspired by a piece that French newspaper La Tribune ran over the Holiday Break. Though the sources for the Tribune item were never disclosed, it claimed that the French government has been watchful of gaming studios based in its country for months. Particularly in terms of how likely they are for a takeover. Ubisoft owns almost 20 of these studios and the heads for most of them are said to be very weary of a potential EA buyout. The reason? An EA takeover would supposedly mark the end of French-based decisions in the videogame industry.

Ubisoft officials have gone on record by saying that it has not had talks with EA "at present" about its 19.9 percent purchase of its capital. Furthermore, it was said, "In light of recent news spread by the press, Ubisoft's board of directors reiterates that, in the absence of information from Electronic Arts regarding its intentions, the latter's acquisition of the group's capital is unsolicited and currently considered hostile. Moreover, there are no negotiations between the two parties at present."

Newspaper Les Echos reported on December 29 that Ubisoft would gather some of its largest shareholders later this week in an effort to convince them not to give support to Electronic Arts. Furthermore, Ubisoft is considering various options to defend itself should the need arise. Increasing the holding of the Guillemot family, for instance, is among one of its chief tactics. As the Guillemot's have 17.5% of the shares and 26.6% of the voting rights.
Old 01-04-05, 09:48 PM

First time I've ever applauded the French Government for anything. Good News.