Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

about the twilight samurai

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this film last night and wow. I loved it. I noticed that a R1 version is coming out months end, should I wait for the R1 or just get the HK edition?

A question on about the movie:
Spoiler:
According to the movie calling him Sir Twilight is an insult. I think i'm missing something in the translation, how is twilight an insult?

Last edited by squidget; 12-20-04 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The HK ed. is, for the most part, a barebones disc so if you can wait and the R1 version is cheaper, i'd go that route. As for the pejorative title given by his fellow samurai,
Spoiler:
i think they call him that because he can't go drinking and carousing with the rest of the "office" after work. He has to hurry home to watch over his young daughters and aged mother.
Old 12-20-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I really like the disc I got of it... I would just go by whatever is cheaper when the R1 comes out (so long as it isn't cut or dubbed)

and yeah, they call him that because of the hours he's forced to keep. I don't see how that's a spoiler.
Old 12-20-04, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trigger
I really like the disc I got of it... I would just go by whatever is cheaper when the R1 comes out (so long as it isn't cut or dubbed)

and yeah, they call him that because of the hours he's forced to keep. I don't see how that's a spoiler.
Thanks for the info. I think the R1 is going to be 19.99 so I'll probably pick up the HK. About the spoiler, you never know 'round these parts, i like to play on the safe side.
Old 12-20-04, 09:44 PM
Cool New Member

You should check out the R2 disc from Tartan in the UK. It has a full bit rate DTS track.
Old 12-21-04, 01:23 AM

If you like nice packaging you should go for the Japanese R2 disc. It's one of the most beautiful sets in my collection. It also has a beautiful photobook.
Old 12-22-04, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear
If you like nice packaging you should go for the Japanese R2 disc. It's one of the most beautiful sets in my collection. It also has a beautiful photobook.
Does it have english subs?
Old 12-22-04, 11:52 AM
Cool New Member

The Japanese Edition does have English subs but I thought the edition he is talking about with the book was OOP. I could be wrong though.
Old 12-22-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally just bought the R2 dvd of Twilight Samurai (the one with the photobook).

As in the case of most R2 & R3 dvds, English subs are avaialble only for the film but not the special features.

Considering the high cost of Japanese dvds (averaging over $30), I still cherish this one since the documentary features on the 2nd disc are quite extensive from conceptualizing of the film to the numerous awards it has garnered. It does help that I understood Japanese a bit.

For those who have or would be getting the R2 version, check out the part of the documentary where they awarded Hiro Sanada with the Best Actor. He wasn't available to personally accept it so a video feed was shown since at that time, he was in New Zealand filming The Last Samurai. You can actually see a bit of Ken Watanabe by the side.
Old 12-22-04, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
I personally just bought the R2 dvd of Twilight Samurai (the one with the photobook).

As in the case of most R2 & R3 dvds, English subs are avaialble only for the film but not the special features.

Considering the high cost of Japanese dvds (averaging over $30), I still cherish this one since the documentary features on the 2nd disc are quite extensive from conceptualizing of the film to the numerous awards it has garnered. It does help that I understood Japanese a bit.

For those who have or would be getting the R2 version, check out the part of the documentary where they awarded Hiro Sanada with the Best Actor. He wasn't available to personally accept it so a video feed was shown since at that time, he was in New Zealand filming The Last Samurai. You can actually see a bit of Ken Watanabe by the side.
I'm curious about the R2 release, where did you purchase it from?
Old 12-25-04, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by squidget
I'm curious about the R2 release, where did you purchase it from?
Available from Yes Asia Global under Tasogare Seibei, Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV.co.jp.
Old 12-25-04, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

Is that cdjapan link for the version with the photobook njal?
Old 12-25-04, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Miike-Mouse
Is that cdjapan link for the version with the photobook njal?
From the listed weight I would imagine that both YesAsia and CD Japan still carry the original L.E. w/book, not sure about the others. YesAsia used the present picture when I bought mine a year ago, and that was the L.E.
To be sure I'd send off an email to either/both to check.
Old 12-25-04, 02:11 PM
Cool New Member

Cheers njal
Old 12-25-04, 03:14 PM

I got mine from yesasia and it turned out to be the superb L.E. set and I wasnt really expecting it to be as they dont have an image of it, so they are underselling that dvd

Watched it 2 times now and its a quite simply perfect film and I adore it, its one film I will never get bored of ever, as its just soo well made and acted, dont see how anyone could not like it
Old 12-29-04, 10:20 AM

Now that the R1 edition is available, has anyone been able to compare the different releases? Neither DVDBeaver or Rewind have comparisons, yet.

I'm interested to see if we can get a R1 release of a Japanese film which rivals its R2 release in video/audio/extras.
Old 01-02-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It's non-anamorphic(although letterboxed), burned in subs, and an overall crappy transfer. Avoid at all cost. I rented it from Netflix and I really liked the film and wil be getting R2 version.
Old 04-21-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the LE??? It looks like it, but the text says it's only 1 disc. And this statement really makes me doubtful:

(All product details, including availability, images, language(s), special features, and bonus extras, are subject to change without prior notice. Actual item weight may be different from the one indicated above.)
Thanks...
Old 04-21-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Here's what the Japanese LE looks like:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...l?mv_arg=15568

Personnally, I'm happy with the R3.
Old 04-21-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Here's what the Japanese LE looks like:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...l?mv_arg=15568

Personnally, I'm happy with the R3.
Thanks for the info. I really love this movie and want to get the best version available.