Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

halflife 2 offline or stopping updates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
halflife 2 offline or stopping updates?

How do you turn the offline mode on? Also how do you stop the scanning for updates or the installing of crap I don't want i.e deathmatch.

The problem is everytime I want to play I have to wait for a long scan or wait for something to be installed. Just a few minutes ago I go to play and it starts install deathmatch. Why when all I want to do is play single player mod. I cancel that and try clincking on the halflife 2 icon. Same stupid thing happens. Am I doomed to have to wait 119 minutes for the thing to install a deathmatch mod I don't even want to play. This steam crap sucks big monkey balls.

I already know the less than legal ways around this but would like a legal fix. I mean there must be a option to turn this crap off. Even if I wanted to play other mods there must be a way for it to download in the background while I play single player game. Please tell there is way to do this. And why the hell is going to take 119 minutes to download deathmatch on dsl. What the hell are dialup people going to do .
Old 12-19-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may help.

Steampowered.com support

EDIT: The link isn't working so go here and there is an answer on how to play HL2 offline. Not exactly what you wanted but it is as close as I have right now. Also can go to steampowered.com forum and ask the question and they will get you a better answer.

Last edited by Ketamine; 12-19-04 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-19-04, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
What the hell are dialup people going to do .
Well, I for one am simply not going to buy this game, because of this issue.
Old 12-19-04, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Well, I for one am simply not going to buy this game, because of this issue.
It's a one time issue. To each their own.
Old 12-19-04, 11:08 PM

why all the moaning about dial-up? do you guys play mmorpgs on dial-up as well or what?
Old 12-20-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I was doing something stupid. I didn't have the cd in my drive. I put that in and it took awhile to get going (5 minutes or so) but I didn't have to wait for deathmatch to install.
Old 12-20-04, 07:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Quite frankly, anybody on dial-up is going to have a hella hard time getting this game to run on their 200 MHz Pentium II anyway.
Old 12-20-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
This game was a pain in the ass to install. It took forever & then I had to create a Steam account & then I had to go through some machinations to get the offline mode working, inconsistent with what the documentation says. Eventually got it to work though and am having a blast.
Old 12-20-04, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Quite frankly, anybody on dial-up is going to have a hella hard time getting this game to run on their 200 MHz Pentium II anyway.
Amusing. Cable & DSL just aren't available in my area. Given a choice, I'd still rather live on my 50+ acres of private mountains, fields, and streams, with no traffic, noise, or neighbors in sight, than on some 1/4 acre lot in a suburb or city apartment, broadband or not.
Old 12-20-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

right click on the game in the steam list and goto properties.. make the options Do not update automatically.. that should stop it from getting the deathmatch..
make sure you change the deathmatch properties to that
Old 12-21-04, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Amusing. Cable & DSL just aren't available in my area. Given a choice, I'd still rather live on my 50+ acres of private mountains, fields, and streams, with no traffic, noise, or neighbors in sight, than on some 1/4 acre lot in a suburb or city apartment, broadband or not.
You have made a choice, bravo. Please realize that all choices have both good and bad consequences. Most people these days choose to ignore this realization and post flames on forums.