Reload this Page >

Project Runway -- Appreciation Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-17-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fashion world has always mystified yet sparked curiosity in me. Clothes on the runway that one would never see in a store, that the average woman could never fit. How do designers come up with those designs? Why?

Ok, Project Runway is here and I love it. I've been given a view into the fashion design process and am really intrigued by it. There is a method to the madness and just because something it "out there" design-wise doesn't mean it will look good.

How the designers come up with these creations with the given theme, materials and limited time amazes me. The first episode, with the designers given $50.00 to find their materials at a grocery store -- wow. I really thought that someone would throw in the towel at this challenge. Instead we got extremely creative dresses, made out of garbage bags, tin foil, stockings.

Then on the other hand, it is glaring the designers who just don't have what it takes (Star, for example). You see what sub-par designs look like.

Love, love, love this show.
Old 12-17-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Star was like a deer caught in the headlights from the start.

I actually liked the bucther paper outfit form the first week and thought the designer got the short end of the stick.
Old 12-17-04, 05:33 PM

Can't say that I liked the butcher paper, however, we can both agree that it was light years better than that tin foil, "I love the 80's", wreck that Starr made. On that alone Daniel should have made it to the next week.

She looked like some scared forest creater, so skinny with those contacts and hysterical all of the time. In way over her head.
Old 12-17-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I wish I had seen the grocery story episode - all I saw was the Banana Republic one... I like the show and it's more something my gf would be into since she's all about fashion design.
Old 12-17-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Here's the real star of the show

Old 12-17-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe this past week's episode will be shown again on Sun @ 9pm CST
Old 12-17-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Here's the real star of the show

Yes he is the "star" I wasn't expecting the open "flamboyancy" of the show. It actually a little interesting and quite funny. I thought Heidi Klum plus models was just going to be a nice eye candy show
Old 12-20-04, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger
I wish I had seen the grocery story episode - all I saw was the Banana Republic one... I like the show and it's more something my gf would be into since she's all about fashion design.
So good it should have been a "sweeps" episode. I couldn't believe what they came up with from the grocery store. Trust me, I would have packed my bags and just left.

You can check out the outfits from this episode:

www.bravotv.com/Project_Runway/Episode_1/The_Runway/Austin.shtml#rw_top

Last edited by iggystar; 12-20-04 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-20-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
what's with the pregnant/fat looking model in episode 2?
Old 12-20-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
what's with the pregnant/fat looking model in episode 2?
IIRC, the theme was "Envy", and he was trying to make the model look pregnant, as a symbol of what people are envious of (having children).
Old 12-20-04, 07:30 PM
Cool New Member

Bravo is showing the first three episodes on Wednesday, 12/22, starting at 8 EDT.
Old 12-23-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mrs. Pusser and I are enjoying this show. She just watched one of the episodes a second time.
Old 12-23-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Heidi Klum thinks she's the mastermind of the show.

"Where are my designers?"

"What do my judges think?"
Old 01-05-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New episode tonight.

Looks like the designers will have to work in teams for the 4th Task.
Old 02-23-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jay Mccarroll Wins.....Fuck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice...I was hoping he of the three remaining would win.
Old 02-24-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We were hoping Jay would win.
Old 02-24-05, 01:43 AM

We were glad Kara Saun didn't win. We liked her in the previous episodes, but jeez -- was she a self-righteous-hypocrite in this finale or what? We found ourselves rooting for Wendy at the end (underdog syndrome), but Jay was a good winner also.
Old 02-24-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Darq
We were glad Kara Saun didn't win. We liked her in the previous episodes, but jeez -- was she a self-righteous-hypocrite in this finale or what? We found ourselves rooting for Wendy at the end (underdog syndrome), but Jay was a good winner also.
The total change in Kara Saun took me off guard. I really thought she should have been disqualified for violating the contract with the whole "shoe thing".

Oh well.... at least Jay still won in the end.
Old 02-24-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree that the shoe bit was not fair and didn't care for the way she justified it. Her Louis Vuitton bag, Carhart jacket guy should not have been employed.

She really flaunted the rules with saying just charge me a low amount for them. But in the end she knew the judges weren't going to say, "we loved your clothes the most, but due to the shoes we're giving another person the win".

Plus Kara is doing fine with her biz in LA and poor Jay may not have carried on as easily from his locale in PA. Maybe now he can get a Benz in the garage just like Kara. Bling bling.
Old 02-24-05, 09:01 AM

Ok.. one question here. What exactly did Wendy DO to all these people? What... she answered one direct question from the judges on two separate weeks that wasn't all bubble gum? Grow up, people.

(I'm probably still running on underdog-syndrome fumes...)
Old 02-24-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't believe I got addicted to the show as well.

I wanted Kara to win at first, but the whole shoe thing threw me off.
Wendy was basically like Richard Hatch from Survivor near the end of the show. Always hated that stupid "right side of the head" gray hair. I think everyone else was playing the game based solely on their design talent. Wendy played it like Survivor. The one time she did win is b/c she just copied what Banana Republic was already doing.
Old 02-24-05, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Darq
Ok.. one question here. What exactly did Wendy DO to all these people? What... she answered one direct question from the judges on two separate weeks that wasn't all bubble gum? Grow up, people.

(I'm probably still running on underdog-syndrome fumes...)
Have you watched the show outside of a few episodes? Basically the reason why she's so generally hated, amongst the other designers and many fans of the show, is due to her scheming demeanor. Many were hoping that Runway would be more about the designer's talent rather than back-biting, treachery and alliances that are featured and necessary in shows like Survivor/The Apprentice.

Now granted, I like those shows as well but it just wasn't necessary here, it seemed so out of place. From the start she was acting like she was on a deserted island somewhere, plotting to use her daugther as a ploy in the game, admitting that she was going to do anything to make it to the end....just sew your outfits woman.

If her talent matched her bitchiness it would be one thing, but it didn't. She wasn't the worst designer there, she was good enough to make it to later rounds, but the fake-drama she created was just uncalled for.

Anyway, Jay was the true underdog because his tastes/designs were so quirky. He was at risk of being a one-note designer being the "crazy", out-there one. Instead he made incredibly beautiful dresses and broke out of his own mold. GO JAY.
Old 02-24-05, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by bigsoos
I can't believe I got addicted to the show as well.

I wanted Kara to win at first, but the whole shoe thing threw me off.

The one time she did win is b/c she just copied what Banana Republic was already doing.
Kara was tripping. I think the stress got to her, she was acting out of her character for sure. HOWEVER, her designs were wonderful. So good that I think she was allowed to have a meltdown.

This was the first reality finale where I truly wasn't disappointed. I loved Kara and Jay's lines equally, just for different reasons. Kara had the elegance, Jay had the rock star quality. Both are going to go far.

Now for Wendy - as the judges expressed is a good tailor...ouch. Her collection had no cohesiveness. Earth tone see-through one dress, fushia 50's style the next. Please.
Old 02-24-05, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by iggystar
Have you watched the show outside of a few episodes? Basically the reason why she's so generally hated, amongst the other designers and many fans of the show, is due to her scheming demeanor. Many were hoping that Runway would be more about the designer's talent rather than back-biting, treachery and alliances that are featured and necessary in shows like Survivor/The Apprentice.
I think we missed the first 2 or 3 episodes, but we're going to catch up on those since we were able to record them during the marathon.

I understand that some (most?) people don't like the "scheming" aspect, but for others, scheming equals strategy. Actually, in my book, if you're on a TV show that displays behind-the-scenes action of a competition where people get kicked out weekly, you're on a reality show. Whether the contestants like it or not, it's a contest/competition/game. You do what is necessary to win -- otherwise, why are you there? However, i do admit that in SOME contests, dishonesty/lying may not be necessary. But there's nothing wrong with a good strategy.

Were there certain points where Wendy flat out lied to people? At least Wendy wasn't trying to rationalize how custom-made designer shoes (for $15???) and free assistant help were teh same as choosing shoes from a pile that everyone has access to.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.