Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to remove stickers from dvd cases?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They bug the heck out of me. Is there a way to remove them that does not damage the case?
Old 12-15-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two words: Goo Gone. You can buy it at Wal-Mart, Target, hobby stores, etc.
Old 12-15-04, 07:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most DVDs I buy are wrapped, so the stickers are on the top layer. For the ones that are on the outer slip case, I'll try and not touch them (except for the price stickers).
Old 12-15-04, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III

I second that. That stuff works miracles, lol. You have to try to take adleast most of the sticker off, but for the rest of the gooey gunk on there, rub a little Goo Gone on it, rub it with a paper towel, and bam, gone, completely! When I buy DVD's used at a local Buy/Sell/Trade DVD/Video Games/CD Store, and it has the sticker on the case, with Goo Gone, the sticker comes off completely, like it was never even there, and it looks like a brand new DVD case!
Old 12-15-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for Goo Gone, stuff works miracles.
Old 12-15-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Another Goo Gone user here.
Old 12-15-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also use goo gone. Alot more often now. I have now noticed that when a dvd is released with a slip cover and you buy it at Circuit City, they are starting to put the price sticker on the cover. Some peel off easy, but some don't. Dodgeball and I, Robot's slipcovers are a good example to use goo gone.
Old 12-15-04, 11:25 PM

I warm up the kettle and hold the case over the steam. I recently used this on my Alien: Quad. to get the shitty glue off of the back.
Old 12-16-04, 07:18 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 12-16-04, 07:57 AM

You can put in my vote for Goo Gone as well. Great stuff.
Old 12-16-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Goo Gone! -- I also hit it with window cleaner after Goo Gone to get rid of any slightly oily Goo Gone residue.
Old 12-16-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought 2 bottles for Free after rebate a few years back at Rite Aid.
Old 12-16-04, 12:37 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I bought 2 bottles for Free after rebate a few years back at Rite Aid.
Ditto.
Old 12-16-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another vote for Goo Gone. I don't even try to peel the stickers off first. I just put the item on a towel and soak the sticker w/ Goo Gone, then I use a paper towel to clean off excess liquid. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, and you're all set.

Sometimes (usually with Gamestop stickers) the sticker will still give you a problem. That's when you peel off what you can and then put on another application of Goo Gone, let it sit, then scrub it down with a towel.

Always soak the sticker first, though... that way there's less chances of it taking off part of the DVD case when it's put right on the insert (or on the box for a box set).
Old 12-16-04, 01:13 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another Goo Gone fan. Great for stickers on CDs too.
Old 12-16-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use tape. Plain ordinary Scotch tape. Where there's residue: Apply, remove, repeat.

Or try this: Remove the sticker from the top edge. Has it left any residue? Okay, press it back down on the residue and lift. I bet it's gone now. If not, repeat a few times.

I've never had to use Goo Gone.
Old 12-16-04, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by shill66
I use tape. Plain ordinary Scotch tape. Where there's residue: Apply, remove, repeat.

Or try this: Remove the sticker from the top edge. Has it left any residue? Okay, press it back down on the residue and lift. I bet it's gone now. If not, repeat a few times.

I've never had to use Goo Gone.
i always do that.
Old 12-17-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tek2k
i always do that.
Me too!
Old 12-17-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Just where exactly are these stickers? If you mean the "SECURITY DEVICE ENCLOSED" stickers, all I do is run an exacto knife across the slit in the DVD case, which instantly cuts the sticker in two, then I just peel it off. Takes a few seconds and I get no residue.

Or are you guys talking about the stickers you get at places which sell cheap DVDs such as Wal-Mart or something.
Old 12-17-04, 08:25 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Just where exactly are these stickers? If you mean the "SECURITY DEVICE ENCLOSED" stickers, all I do is run an exacto knife across the slit in the DVD case, which instantly cuts the sticker in two, then I just peel it off. Takes a few seconds and I get no residue.

Or are you guys talking about the stickers you get at places which sell cheap DVDs such as Wal-Mart or something.
I'm usually very careful removing them these stickers. However, on occasion if I pull too fast it may not always come off clean. Also, I have noticed that some DVDs I receive by mail in the summer months are affected by the heat. It seems to soften the sticker making the residue more difficult to remove.
Old 12-17-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

We're mainly talking about used items. Some Blockbusters will take a PV DVD and pull the insert out of the case, and put their sticker on the insert. It can be a pain to remove the stickers without damaging the insert.

Then there's Gamestop (formerly FunCo), which uses different types of stickers from store to store. One local store has tags that can be peeled off with ease. Another, however, has stickers that you have to soak with Goo Gone 2 or 3 times to completely remove them.
Old 12-17-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought I,Robot yesterday from Circuit City. They put their price sticker right over Will Smith's face.

I tried to take it off, but unfortunately could not get it all off. ARGHHH!!! It was so frustrating!

Im going to try goo be gone and see if that works. I hate putting movies in my collection when they stick to the dvd next to it.

At Best Buy, I havent had this problem. Normally, their stickers are easily removable.
Old 12-17-04, 03:01 PM

One more vote for Goo Gone. FYI - you might be able to find some at your local Big Lots - I ran across a few small bottles a couple of months back for just over a dollar.
Old 12-17-04, 03:17 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Goo Gone reloaded!
Old 12-17-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My "Hero" slipcover was destroyed. Goo Gone normally works, but the ink on the cover was taken off so easily by the manufacturer sticker and the price sticker.