Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bridgett Jones: Edge of Reason PG-13 Cut only in FS!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saw this over at davisdvd...pg-13 FS only...bad idea. I'm not buying this movie anyhow, but I just don't want this to become a regular thing. Their have been times when the uncut has disturbed flow. Just thought you wanted to know...discuss

Universal Home Entertainment has announced Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason for release on March 22nd. The R-rated sequel, starring Renee Zellweger, arrives in separate 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen and pan and scan editions, each with Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. A PG-13 rated cut will also be available, but only in fullscreen. Extras have yet to be announced so stay tuned. Retail will be $29.98 for any version.
Old 12-15-04, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't the theatrical release rated R?
Old 12-15-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
saw this over at davisdvd...pg-13 FS only...bad idea. I'm not buying this movie anyhow, but I just don't want this to become a regular thing. Their have been times when the uncut has disturbed flow. Just thought you wanted to know...discuss

Universal Home Entertainment has announced Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason for release on March 22nd. The R-rated sequel, starring Renee Zellweger, arrives in separate 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen and pan and scan editions, each with Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. A PG-13 rated cut will also be available, but only in fullscreen. Extras have yet to be announced so stay tuned. Retail will be $29.98 for any version.
You are wrong. It's a great idea from a financial standpoint. This version is aimed at younger girls, most of whom don't give a toss about OAR and prefer fullscreen.

Look, it's about having CHOICE. You can get the UNCUT, OAR version if you choose. That's what most important.
Old 12-15-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, what the hell do I care? It's all about how the movie was intended to be.
Old 12-15-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so are you saying all young girls like FS...or that young girls shouldn't know the diffrence. What about the 16 year old girl who cannot watch the R version for two more years, but at least wants OAR...Choice denied

again my problem isn't so much with OH MY GOD BRIDGETT JONES IS BEING HACKED!
The problem is if a marketing tool like this works, it could overflow onto films we care about. Say the Theatrical release R cut is FS only but you can get the Uncut Uncensored more fart jokes version in WS.

Thoughts
Old 12-15-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

PG-13 and cropped ... it's like they're selling the airline cut.
Old 12-15-04, 12:59 PM
Retired

I don't see a big deal here. No DVD fan is going to buy a hacked PG-13 version of the movie anyway and I doubt we'd see the trend with FS only theatrical cuts and WS extended cuts that Cameron mentioned.

I'm sure the R-rated version will sale much better.
Old 12-15-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The problem is if a marketing tool like this works, it could overflow onto films we care about. Say the Theatrical release R cut is FS only but you can get the Uncut Uncensored more fart jokes version in WS.

Thoughts
Like Old School, and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle? Okay, maybe we don't care about the second one, but this has happened before.

I believe the PG cut of Josie and the Pussycats is only FS.
Old 12-15-04, 01:22 PM
Banned

I see no problem with this at all.

The film was rated R theatrically.

The PG-13 cut is for the "family" market. As long as the "real" version is OAR, who cares what treatment the lesser version gets. Anyone who wants it should feel happy it exists for them at all.

Asside of that, I'm sure research would show that most people in the "family" market would prefer FS anyway.
Old 12-15-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But that isn't the situation that we're dealing with... it isn't theatrical vs. uncut. It's theatrical vs. edited. As someone said, it's like they're putting a TV version or airline version out. Frankly, if anything about this bothers me (and nothing does) it would be the edits to the film itself rather than aspect ratio.

Even if this was a film I 'cared about', this release tactic doesn't bother me. I have no problem with this. They are releasing the theatrical in OAR. They feel that there is also a market for an edited, 4:3 version. I disagree that this will sell well, but I don't have any objection.
Old 12-15-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know of at least one 9 year old girl mentioned on this board that might give a rat's ass.

And once again the studios perpetuate the stereotype that young people and families prefer full frame. That is such a broad generalization, and I bet they are wrong. It was family movies such as Willy Wonka and Cats and Dogs that promted their respective studios to release properly framed versions. But Universal has been crapping on their customers for years now, so what's one more big steaming pile of stink coming from them?
Old 12-15-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like they're just putting that cheesy "edited for content and to fit your screen" cable version onto a DVD. So don't buy it.
Old 12-15-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Sounds like they're just putting that cheesy "edited for content and to fit your screen" cable version onto a DVD. So don't buy it.
That's exactly my point (which I probably didn't articulate well above). They've edited scenes out of a film to appeal to a younger crowd. The last thing I'd be concerned about in that situation is the aspect ratio of the chopped up movie.

But since they've also been smart enough to include the original edition in the correct aspect ratio, I'm not concerned about this 'trend'. I'm sure sales are going to VASTLY favor the correct edition. At best, the PG-13 sales may be enough for this to occasionally be considered for future films. But it ain't gonna become the norm.
Old 12-15-04, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by silentbob007
PG-13 and cropped ... it's like they're selling the airline cut.
I think that's exactly it. Otherwise they have to make *three* versions (OAR, full, airline)
Old 12-15-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Some movies were destined for Full-Frame.
Old 12-16-04, 12:13 AM

They also did the exact same thing to King Arthur.
Old 12-16-04, 09:26 AM

I'm sure if the kids want to watch it in widescreen, they won't run out and start killing people or having promiscuous sex just because they've watched the R-rated version.
Old 12-16-04, 11:11 AM

Complaining about an edited movie being shown in P&S is kinda silly. It's already been butchered in content. If that's OK with you, why worry about it being butchered in presentation?

I saw the movie. I can't remember much in it that was all that offensive, anyway.

If you want it in widescreen - to see it as how it was presented - then buy the R-rated version - so you see it how it was presented.
Old 12-16-04, 11:17 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

People who buy the PG-13 version of an R-rated movie deserve fullscreen.
Old 12-16-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

while I agree with both of the above quotes. The issue is that they assume ever girl between 13-18 who can't buy or rent the R-rated version wants Full Screen.

Good conversation here guys...no one ripping anyone, a few Point of views...like it
Old 12-16-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They also did the exact same thing to King Arthur.
While the "PG-13" version of King Arthur happens to be the theatrical cut (same applies to Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle), the "Unrated" version in this case HAPPENS to be the director's preferred cut. There was a huge article in Entertainment Weekly about this when King Arthur was released to theaters and how Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer made Mr. Faqua edit the film down for theatrical release (much to Faqua's dismay).