Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla Final Box (Japan R2) -saw the sample on display

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I thought that there was already a thread here in International about the Godzilla Final Box set, but for the life of me, I couldn't find it. Anyway, it's the huge DVD box set thats due out in Japan next year. I went to the HMV store in Shibuya, Japan last week, and they had a sample of the set on display in a big glass case. (this is the store where Toho announced the set several months back. It was a big celebration complete with an appearance by Godzilla himself..well, a guy in a Godzilla costume anyway). The display showed the box that contains all the discs, one disc in its opened case (looks like a digipack kind of deal), the included book, and the Godzilla head manufactured by M1. I was aware that the head was close to the same size as an actual Godzilla costume head, but I was still amazed at the size when I saw the thing in person. The head is HUGE. I can't imagine how big the box will be that packages everything. The lack of subtitles on the set, and the price were keeping me from purchasing this, but when I saw everything, I almost changed my mind. It definitely looks to be worth the hefty price tag. Did anyone actually order it?

I wish I could have taken pics, but HMV didn't allow it. Too bad, because they also had full sized replicas of the new Godzilla and Gigan costumes on display in the store. I managed to pick up some of the HMV exclusive Godzilla figures at least.
Old 12-14-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sad. I would love to pick up this set, but there is no way in hell I will since there are no english subs.
Old 12-14-04, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just reading that makes me wanna go out and buy it

And looking at it:

and thinking that every one of those cases has a DVD (And there are 30), that head must be HUGE.

For $900 though, its way too much.

I would've done $400 with subtitles (I think thats about $15 a DVD), but thats about where I draw the line
Old 12-14-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though $900 is a very steep amount, if it had subtitles (and I knew at least a few months before hand), I would've put some money aside every few weeks just to get it. I could really use a complete Godzilla set, and that head is awesome!
Old 12-14-04, 06:48 PM

The head is alright, But I'm not a huge fan of that one

That set must be huge though (I wouldnt even wanna think about shipping costs and hoping it arrives in one piece) - You've pretty much gotta set a table aside just for that thing

I'm still hoping on a Korean/Hong Kong release of the movies alone for a reasonable price, but I know thats not gonna happen
Old 12-14-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
Even though $900 is a very steep amount, if it had subtitles (and I knew at least a few months before hand), I would've put some money aside every few weeks just to get it. I could really use a complete Godzilla set, and that head is awesome!

Yeah, if it had subs, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Thirty bucks per disc and all the goodies on top of that ain't a bad price. Fans were paying around $200 or more PER FILM for some of the special edition laserdiscs back in the day (and with no subs), so this is a bargain in comparison (even many of the current Toho Godzilla DVDs are close to $60.00 US each).

I guess that Sony/Columbia will eventually get around to releasing most of these films over here, but no extras, and no big ass Godzilla head.
Old 12-14-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw it also.You can take pictures at Yodobashi Camera Shinjuku!It's a huge set with the dvd's and also the board!There is a cover for the DVD box also, same color as the board color.
Old 12-15-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kumar J
I saw it also.You can take pictures at Yodobashi Camera Shinjuku!It's a huge set with the dvd's and also the board!There is a cover for the DVD box also, same color as the board color.

Ah, it's at Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku, too? I went to several Yodobashi Camera stores on my trip, but didn't get to Shinjuku this time. (BTW, I think Yodobashi Camera is my all time favourite store chain! They sell a huge variety of great stuff, at nice prices).
Old 12-15-04, 08:29 AM

I must say that is one cool Collector's Edition! I guess this is the one DVD I cannot have because of the price alone... :-(