Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Buying my LAST DVD tommorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buying my LAST DVD tommorrow

Been buying DVD's since '99. With the release of LOTR Return of the King EE, this is it. Done! Final! No more!

I have about 300 or so and that's plenty. If I was to watch each one, one after another, it would take me about 3 years. After 3 years I'll just start again.

NO MORE DVDs!!!!!!
NO MORE DVDs!!!!!!
NO MORE DVDs!!!!!!
mantra, mantra, mantra......
Old 12-13-04, 03:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
My DVD-buying has slowed significantly. Most of the movies I wanted have already been released, but there are still a few outstanding, so unfortunately I cannot join you in halting DVD purchases just yet.
Old 12-13-04, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, right.

...and Wannabe sold his Return of the Jedi on eBay.
Old 12-13-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geofferson
My DVD-buying has slowed significantly. Most of the movies I wanted have already been released, but there are still a few outstanding, so unfortunately I cannot join you in halting DVD purchases just yet.
My buying is slowing also. I pick up an older movie every so often if the price is right. I still have about 100 older dvds I would like to EVENTUALLY get but I am in no hurry. I am now just getting new releases that I am interested in.
Old 12-13-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrVette99
Been buying DVD's since '99. With the release of LOTR Return of the King EE, this is it. Done! Final! No more!

I have about 300 or so and that's plenty. If I was to watch each one, one after another, it would take me about 3 years. After 3 years I'll just start again.

NO MORE DVDs!!!!!!
NO MORE DVDs!!!!!!
NO MORE DVDs!!!!!!
Wow, good luck on that. its hard to quit cold turkey

You chose a great DVD to end on though.

Are you trying to stop becasue of HD DVD or just becasue you think you have enough films ?
Old 12-13-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol...gimme a break!...u will continue buyin' DVDz sooon...don't u wanna get Malcolm X, Blade Runner & Titanic special editions?!
Old 12-13-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have about 300 or so and that's plenty. If I was to watch each one, one after another, it would take me about 3 years.
I'm really curious ... which are these discs which you have that would last for three to four days (by my math)?

[3 years = 1095 days / 300 discs = 3.65 days per]
Old 12-13-04, 04:30 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I'm really curious ... which are these discs which you have that would last for three to four days (by my math)?

Watching every DVD in all possible audio options and commentaries?
Old 12-13-04, 04:47 PM
Defunct Account

How do you figure that? If you watch one a day, you'll be through in 10 months. You need at least 1000 DVDs to go three years. You should buy some more. That's my advice.

edit - opps fogot to submit the post and someone else made my point first.
Old 12-13-04, 04:48 PM
Banned

Actually with the average run time of 2 hours it would only take 25 days to watch them all "one after another".
Old 12-13-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even if you'd only get to watch each DVD once a year, the whole point of owning is to be able to watch whenever you get the urge. There's no rule that says you have to watch each disc in your collection a certain amount of times. That's the beauty of home entertainment. I often get the urge to watch something out of the blue and thanks to DVD, I usually can appease that urge in little time.
Old 12-13-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy

a lot of ppl don't have time to watch 1 per day. When I was working 11-12 hour days, I definitely didn't have time to watch one per day. hek, I watched 1 per week if I was lucky.
Old 12-13-04, 04:57 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey

NO MORE DVDs!!!!!!
NO MORE DVDs!!!!!!
NO MORE DVDs!!!!!!
Great decision, pal. I'll be doing the same thing soon enough but for another reason. I'll wait until a next-gen format comes. Meanwhile, saved resources will be targeted at building a separate HT room.
Old 12-13-04, 05:07 PM

I still have a lot of dvds to be be purchased so I cant see myself giving up anytime soon. Maybe I will slow down once I get some of the major dvds I want but I could never stop buying outright their will always be more coming out every week or every few weeks I will want to pick up,
Good luck with resisting dvds!
Old 12-13-04, 05:08 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No one can give up buying DVDs, I tried and its like trying to give up smoking
Old 12-13-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
a lot of ppl don't have time to watch 1 per day. When I was working 11-12 hour days, I definitely didn't have time to watch one per day. hek, I watched 1 per week if I was lucky.
Read the original post, specifically this line: "If I was to watch each one, one after another"

I wasn't speaking to the logistics of watching each one, one after another, just the mathematics of it. (though it would *still* be more than one day per disc even factoring in a generous nine hours of sleep a night.)
Old 12-13-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
It's a virus that never goes away. You can try to take all the remedy's you want....you will ALWAYS be one of us.....
Old 12-13-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Thank you for that very good update on your life. Please, good sir, continue to update us on your every day life style since we clearly can not get enough. Perhaps a thread about what you had today for lunch? What your current mood is and perhaps a thread about what music you are listening to. We, here at dvdtalk, would like to know.
Old 12-13-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People make me laugh. That one person is buying no more is no big deal. With only 300 and collecting since 99, he was never a huge buyer anyways. There is no justification either. Stopping to wait on HD - could be years before half the DVDs are even rereleased. Just renting from now on, that might make since, but why buy one more - just sell them all. What if a new movie comes out that he loves - tough luck. I tried to slow down to no avail. I am selling a lot more now though. I am holding steady between 700-900. I figure at some point i will crest 1000 and then really weed it out, but why - like someone said, I never know from minute to minute what I may want to watch.
Old 12-13-04, 06:30 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by Pelayu
Great decision, pal. I'll be doing the same thing soon enough but for another reason. I'll wait until a next-gen format comes. Meanwhile, saved resources will be targeted at building a separate HT room.
Gee, I sure hope HD-DVD isn't the next Sony mini-disc or S-VHS.

They were improvements that never had much studio support. Make no mistake, waiting for the next format is a gamble.
Old 12-13-04, 06:32 PM
Suspended

haha outside of DVDTalk 300 dvd's is gluttony imo.
Old 12-13-04, 07:04 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
Originally Posted by videophile
Gee, I sure hope HD-DVD isn't the next Sony mini-disc or S-VHS.

They were improvements that never had much studio support. Make no mistake, waiting for the next format is a gamble.
IS NOT! Seriously, in light of the last news, your statement seems kinda out of date.
Old 12-13-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
If he wants to stop buying, no biggie... more DVDs for me
Old 12-13-04, 07:15 PM

I started 3 years ago and have around 175

But I am going crazy lately buying around 30 the past 3 months

I had about 25 the 1st year
I had around 75 total 2nd year
now around 175

Need to chill before the addiction kills my wallet.
Old 12-13-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you'll be back...they all come back...

seriously...

don't give up now...lots of good titles already announced for next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.