Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Head-On (Gegen die Wand) Available with English Subs?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-04, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Head-On (Gegen die Wand) available in any country with English subs?

I really wanted to see this film, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-17-04, 02:51 AM

here is:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/18397.html
Old 12-17-04, 04:29 AM

The Korean DVD is probably cut, because the movie contains explicit nudity in a few sex scenes.
Old 12-17-04, 05:06 AM

I saw the Dutch rental dvd (only Dutch & French subs) last tuesday, and i loved the movie... Sibel Kekilli (the lead actress) can really act, and she looks very beautiful in this film. I also had the the opportunity to watch a movie from her past (if you know what i mean), but i passed... There is a lot of sex in Gegen die Wand, but i wouldn't call it explicit. But for Asians (and for that matter for some Americans too) probably a bit too much body is shown.

George
Old 12-17-04, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Giorgio
There is a lot of sex in Gegen die Wand, but i wouldn't call it explicit. But for Asians (and for that matter for some Americans too) probably a bit too much body is shown.
That's what I wanted to say, thanks for pointing that out. I own the German DVD but it has only Turkish subs.
Old 12-17-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Excellent film (won the Golden Bear in Berlin)

A R1 version is rumored later next year but I have no confirmation as of yet. There is also a Russian dvd floating around though i have no specs info.

Pro-B
Old 12-17-04, 04:07 PM
NMA

Awesome movie. Highly recommended.
Old 02-04-05, 07:33 PM

I am ordering the Korean dvd anyway... I think they might be becoming more liberal, cuz apparently they released Catherine Breillat's "Fat Girl" uncut there, and I doubt "Gegen die Wand" is as explicit in sex and nudity as that one was. We'll see what happens, anyway!
Old 02-05-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Bingo....let me know as I am planning to pick up the MK2 disc...

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 02-07-05, 06:08 PM

Any more info (in particular a release date) on the rumored R1 version?
Old 02-18-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here are a few comments I posted at Niche....in case anyone needed more info on the Asian release.....

I would like to thank Mark for bringing this version of the film to Niche. By now, probably most of you know that I had Head On as one of my top picks last year so I wont comment on the film (it is superb, period) but on the quality of this DVD as there is no other English friendly version on the market. So, by bringing this version to Niche Mark has given me (and I hope others) the opportunity to compare and see what might be the best option if one desires to have this film in one's collection.

Here's the good and the bad...

Bad:
This dvd, like many other South Korean/Asian versions of European films is a port of the existing German dvd (I assume).
The menu is not English friendly but should absolutely be no problem to figure out as it is very easy to navigate.

I could not tell if there were any major cuts. The one cut which I am sure about occurs in the very begining when Sibil cuts her veins. It is perhaps about 2 sec. The sex scenes looked pretty much in tact unless I missed something major.

The Good:

Even though a PAL to NTSC this transfer is very, very good. "Ghosting" does exist but I did not find it as irritating as Le Phantom...for example or even worse...NOVO.

Excellent, and I mean excellent English subs. Very well done without a single mistake (I hope this does not sound too snobish to some but I can not stand poor translation at all...)

Almost no artifacts....very well indeed. I am assuming the German disc must be superb. Sound is great as well.

To sum it all up...if you have yet to see this film do so ASAP now that Niche finally has it. I would wait a bit probably until March/April to see if anyone in the States announces a distro deal for this film. If no one does by then...I would either pick the French MK2 disc or this one as I am VERY tempted after seeing it last night.

Regards,
Pro-B

ps
Oddly enough this reviewer from Germany claims that the German (Universal) dvd offers English subs which is not true.
http://www.areadvd.de/dvdreviews/Gegen_die_Wand.shtml

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-18-05 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-18-05, 02:26 PM

I just got the disc in the mail today from Korea... it arrived pretty fast from DVDheaven, it was only shipped out on saturday I think...

Anyway, I haven't watched it yet, but I've skimmed thru it and the picture quality looks pretty good... you pretty much hit it on the nose with the PAL-NTSC transfer. It's not too bad at all, I couldn't see much ghosting like I usually do with these kind of transfers. I also really like the packaging. It's too bad it doesn't have an english friendly menu and english subs on the extras, cuz there is lots. But otherwise, it's not a bad release.

I know Strand Releasing has the theatrical rights to this, so I am sure they will release it on DVD... I wouldn't expect too much. It'll likely also be a PAL-NTSC transfer, but probably worse.
Old 02-18-05, 10:47 PM

Yeah I just watched the film in full and really, the transfer impressed me for a PAL to NTSC conversion. I didn't notice any ghosting at all while watching the film. I'm sure it's there, but it's very watchable, so this isn't a bad DVD at all...

The wrist-cutting scene might have been edited, but I never saw this in theaters so I'm not sure. It was still pretty disturbing either way!

This was an excellent film... really kept me hooked the entire time. Also perhaps one of the most heartbreaking endings I've seen in awhile.. it's an intense film, was surprised at how rough/bloody it could get for being a drama!
Old 02-19-05, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by murphy_wmm
so this isn't a bad DVD at all...
Correct. Considering that I do not foresee a substantial improvement in a possible R1 release (assuming that Strand has the rights) for now this is the version to own. If Artificial Eye picks up the rights for the UK then English speakers might have a better option.

As to the "ghosting" issue, it is definitely there. It is most obvious when Sybil's brother chases her on the street. Pause the picture and you will see the image "overlapping". Another indicator that shows improper transfer is the slight shimmering (this is definitely not the shimmering that a DVD player uncapable to handle PAL to NTSC will produce) when the camera zooms over the rooftops of Istanbul. Not distracting if you are not used to it...but noticeable for me as my eye (sadly) catches such imperfections instantaneously. Still this transfer is above average and I would recommend the disc to anyone needing subtitles.

The wrist-cutting scene might have been edited, but I never saw this in theaters so I'm not sure. It was still pretty disturbing either way!
It is. They do not show the actual cutting at all...again this is less than 2 sec.

This was an excellent film...
On my top 10 list...saddest thing though....there is no buzz in the US regarding Head-On whatsoever. And this might very well be one of the best films to come out of Europe last year.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-19-05 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-19-05, 04:02 AM

The Dutch retaildvd came out last week, and it has all the extra's of the german dvd. Only Dutch and French subs though... Our filmcritics named it the best film of 2004 btw.

George
Old 11-26-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what is the final say on the best English-subtitled DVDs of Head-On?

I don't care about extras, and I'm aware that the UK PAL version has the best video quality.

I'm trying to decide on audio though. Are the DD 5.1 versions really that stronger sounding/impactful than the UK 2.0 Stereo? If the DD 5.1 versions have really great surround sound action/atmosphere, then I would rather get a bit weaker video presentation, rather than an excellent video presentation with a weak audio, especially since I remember this movie having a good soundtrack.

So can someone please give me a good review of the audios? I haven't found any really descriptive reviews of the audio of all these versions. Do the stereo 2.0 and DD 5.1 versions get any subwoofer action or surround sound action or they both are generally front heavy lacking subwoofer bass?
Old 11-26-07, 08:44 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I got excited, I though this thread was about this product.
Old 11-26-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
So can someone please give me a good review of the audios? I haven't found any really descriptive reviews of the audio of all these versions. Do the stereo 2.0 and DD 5.1 versions get any subwoofer action or surround sound action or they both are generally front heavy lacking subwoofer bass?
I've reviewed three of these discs. The Soda piece is clearly the best one to own. Yes, it would have been great if they added up a more elaborate mix, Depeche Mode requires it, but overall I would not sacrifice the video quality over the audio. Specifically in regard to the audio mixing the R1 sounds slightly better as does the R3 --the head on crash in the wall is a great example--yet as far as dialog and crispness go they are all equal. The Turkish wedding is slightly better mixed, with active rear channels as well. Unfortunately, their video treatment is notably flawed.

All things considered my vote is firmly in Soda's favor.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-26-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PRO-BASS, thank you, then I will order the UK PAL one.
Old 11-27-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought this a while ago and it had english subtitles as well. Great movie http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009VND0E/...p;linkCode=asn
Old 11-27-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Strand disc above is a PAL-port. Avoid.

Pro-B