Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Rare going to ever develop another First Person Shooter???

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-04, 10:20 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just wondering if Rare will ever release another FPS. They have developed 2 of the greatest ever made....Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. You would think they would say "Hey....we have the most powerful console in the world to develop for...why don't make another kick @$$ FPS!!" I know that EA has the Bond license...but a Perfect Dark 2 would be very cool or a totally new FPS game. My only guess is that Microsoft has discouraged them from making a new FPS so Halo and Halo 2 will be the ultimate FPS games. When does EA's Bond license come up for bid again??? I would love to see Bill Gates get the Bond license and for Rare to do a sequel to Goldeneye. What are your thoughts?? Have you heard anything??

wlj
Old 12-11-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would hardly call Perfect Dark all that great... it was mostly just Golden Eye recycled. It was like a weak mod, IMHO. Of course, they were very limited by the N64 engine, but still...
Old 12-11-04, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd rather see them do a sequel on a next gen system for Conker's Bad Fur Day!
Old 12-12-04, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tigger
I'd rather see them do a sequel on a next gen system for Conker's Bad Fur Day!
Hmm, I'd rather see any game! (Besides the short Ghoules)

Rare is Dead at this point, all the talent there left years ago. Why else would Nintendo gladly sell them? Microsoft got Nintendo good this generation by proving they could hang in there with Nintendo, but Nintendo got Microsoft almost as good by selling them a completley washed up company.

The fact that their second title is to be a remake of an N64 title, no matter how good, says a lot about the confidence of the dev. team there.
Old 12-12-04, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Hmm, I'd rather see any game! (Besides the short Ghoules)

Rare is Dead at this point, all the talent there left years ago. Why else would Nintendo gladly sell them? Microsoft got Nintendo good this generation by proving they could hang in there with Nintendo, but Nintendo got Microsoft almost as good by selling them a completley washed up company.

The fact that their second title is to be a remake of an N64 title, no matter how good, says a lot about the confidence of the dev. team there.
Nintendo didn't sell Rare. They never owned Rare.

"The fact that their second title is to be a remake of an N64 title, no matter how good," That's kind of a weird thing to say as well. If it's the Game of the Year, what does that say?

DOA:Ultimate is essentially a better looking remake of DOA2 with online components, and most people seem to like it. But does that make Team Ninja @ Tecmo not confident in the their ip's?

And so now we have Conker.....

Sure, I'd agree that the Rare purchase hasn't gone down too well so far, but Nintendo didn't buy them for 2 games, they made a long term investment. So let's see how it works out.

And people leave companies all the time for all sorts of reasons. That doesn't necessarily mean the company will suck when they do. At the same time, often times a company will retain their employees but its next game will suck anyway.

Last edited by RudeBoie; 12-12-04 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-12-04, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wlj
I am just wondering if Rare will ever release another FPS. They have developed 2 of the greatest ever made....Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. You would think they would say "Hey....we have the most powerful console in the world to develop for...why don't make another kick @$$ FPS!!" I know that EA has the Bond license...but a Perfect Dark 2 would be very cool or a totally new FPS game. My only guess is that Microsoft has discouraged them from making a new FPS so Halo and Halo 2 will be the ultimate FPS games. When does EA's Bond license come up for bid again??? I would love to see Bill Gates get the Bond license and for Rare to do a sequel to Goldeneye. What are your thoughts?? Have you heard anything??

wlj
First - IMHO, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are far from being among the greatest FPS games ever made... even if you're just talking about 'only on consoles'. I suppose at the time they came out they could claim top honors among console FPSs, but once you toss PC games in the mix it's all over.

I always thought the purchase of Rare was a big waste of money since the only thing 'rare' about that company is that it's rare for them to develop a game. The only way I can see this paying dividends is if Rare develops some awesome 3d engine that MS shares with their other development teams so they can make games with it. So far, they have yet to impress - although conker and kameo both look promising.

It's only been 2 years since they were bought up, so we've got some time before we can start to completely count them out. I certainly don't see them jumping on the FPS bandwagon just yet. At least not until they taste success on the Xbox with a solid character-driven platformer. It's gonna take a hit franchise for them to be able to relax enough to focus on a FPS project. If Conker does well, I think we might just see something about them developing some kickass FPS for the next generation - but it's pretty clear that they aren't gonna release one for this current system.
Old 12-12-04, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RudeBoie
Nintendo didn't sell Rare. They never owned Rare.
I'm sorry. You are "technically" right. Nintendo only sold their 49% share in Rare freeing them up to be bought buy MS. With nearly 50% of all voting power do you really think Nintendo couldn't easily buy a few more votes in any tough corporate bid? Hell Nintendo is the reason Rare sold so many games, Nintendo personally marketed and published Rares games for them. I'm sorry, but Nintendo did own and sell Rare.

"The fact that their second title is to be a remake of an N64 title, no matter how good," That's kind of a weird thing to say as well. If it's the Game of the Year, what does that say?
That says, the game was good. The people there at that time, made a good game. It says the people there now may not be confident to design something original. This might be a surprise for you, but a lot of Rares "development" was done out of house by Nintendo. Nintendo had a lot to do with Rare's apparent success. I'll bust out the scans of interviews with Rare heads talking about how Nintendo did "this" for GoldenEye, "that" for Banjo etc.

Sure, I'd agree that the Rare purchase hasn't gone down too well so far, but Nintendo didn't buy them for 2 games, they made a long term investment. So let's see how it works out.
I'm going to assume you meant Microsoft, not Nintendo. But I agree, it is a long term investment, exspecially with Rare. But seriously, Rare may still have it, but I really doubt it unless they get some new talent infused into them.
And people leave companies all the time for all sorts of reasons. That doesn't necessarily mean the company will suck when they do. At the same time, often times a company will retain their employees but its next game will suck anyway.
This is true, but I think you can look at Rares work from SNES through to the GC and see they made pretty consistent good games. Of course, that was during the years of Nintendo "ownership", which I've already argued was a large part of their sucess. I'll leave this thread with the following quote regarding Rares sale to MS:
Peter MacDougall said that "in looking at the company's recent track record, it became clear that its value to the future of Nintendo would be limited. In other words, we passed on this opportunity for very good business reasons."

Although MacDougall goes on to temper his words by saying that "this announcement does not diminish our respect for their work or the past contributions they have made to Nintendo," the implication is clear. Nintendo thinks that it's pulled a fast one over Microsoft, demanding a fairly substantial quantity of cash for a company whose founders - the elusive Stamper brothers - are planning to depart the industry and whose worth as a developer they obviously consider to have declined.
Old 12-12-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
perfectly put jeff.

I'd have to agree with Biz as well. Perfect Dark was just a rehash of Goldeneye w/o the Bond license. My friends and I always ended up playing the goldeneye MP levels. Funny. MS probably realized the same thing, which is why they are shaking the look and fell of it up.
Old 12-12-04, 01:11 PM

The rumors on Perfect Dark 2 right now seem to have it headed to the X-Box 2 (or whatever they call it), possibly as a launch title since Halo 3 is certainly a few years away. Of course, these are just rumors, and Rare making a system launch even on a already much delayed title is questionable.

Have you played Timesplitters 2 on XBox? The developers of that game, Free Radical, is partially comprised of ex-Rare designers and there are certain aspects of that game that definately have a Goldeneye feel (especially the first level). Part 3 should be out early next year and looks promising

Rare has lost so many employees from their N64 days at this point that its hard to say if it can ever get back to the quality it once had. They certainly know how to push a system. Starfox Adventures on GC and Grabbed By The Ghoulies on XB, regardless of how you think the games play, are certainly very nice looking, but obviously if the gameplay isn't there, who cares.
Old 12-12-04, 02:18 PM

selling rare was one of the smartest moves nintendo has made this gen. I loved BK, Goldeneye and blast corps, but rare as they stand now, has devolved to a company I could care less about. particularly with their poor track record and infrequent releases. Conker is coming up but i've already played it on the N64. Kameo has been delayed for the 2 thousandth time (typical rare once again). at the end of the day there's no way they'll make good on their 5 games in 2 years promise.

oh and the latest rumor was that PD0 was going to be a third person shooter and cel shaded.
Old 12-12-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

how much less could you care about them? does that mean you care about them alot?
Old 12-12-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
how much less could you care about them? does that mean you care about them alot?
yep, he should have stated could NOT care less about...

but I think we all understood what he was saying...
Old 12-12-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sorry - that just annoys me to no end... and if it wasn't this thread, it would've been another.
Old 12-12-04, 04:48 PM

sorry - that just annoys me to no end... and if it wasn't this thread, it would've been another.

I could care less if this bothers you.

Old 12-12-04, 04:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
At the time it was released, Goldeneye was one of the best FPS games around, console or PC. If it were a PC game, then it would have definately been the absolute best FPS at that time. Perfect Dark was a very good game, but it came out much later and didn't really offer anything new.
Old 12-12-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fallfan
The rumors on Perfect Dark 2 right now seem to have it headed to the X-Box 2 (or whatever they call it), possibly as a launch title since Halo 3 is certainly a few years away.
Actually, Halo 3 is likely to be an xbox 2 launch title - that seems to be the standard explanation for the sudden cut in the story in Halo 2. The only way they could get a halo 3 out for the next launch was to effectively turn Halo 2 into 2 games. that's not to say that Halo 3 is complete, most likely they will be spending the next 12 months enhancing the engine for xb2 and creating more content.

I previously thought we might see a halo 2 pt 2 as a kind of last hurrah on the xbox but an xbox2 launch makes more sense and would result in less fragmentation of the live (by having 2 live enabled halos out in such a short space of time).
Old 12-12-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually Bungie has said they're focusing on another non-Halo game right now. That's not to say they can't be working on Halo 3 at the same time, but it would seem to rule out a Halo 3 release in 2005, which is when the Xbox 2 is expected to launch. The most reasonable speculation I've heard is that Halo 3 will be released sometime in 2006 to coincide with the PS3 launch. As for Perfect Dark Zero, I doubt it'll be an Xbox 2 launch title, since I find it incredibly unlikely that MS would count on Rare to deliver a killer app on such a precise schedule -- these are the people who took three years to make a Tetris clone for the GBA.
Old 12-12-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dan Average
Actually Bungie has said they're focusing on another non-Halo game right now. That's not to say they can't be working on Halo 3 at the same time, but it would seem to rule out a Halo 3 release in 2005, which is when the Xbox 2 is expected to launch.
That could be because it's mostly already done . PR is often not gospel anyway.

Chris
Old 12-12-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could care less if this bothers you.

how much less could you care? do you care alot then?

Old 12-12-04, 08:57 PM

how much less could you care? do you care alot then?

I could care less if it means I care a lot.
Old 12-12-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wlj

wlj
I'm assuming that RARE is one of your favorite companies?

In the 2 years they have been with Microsoft it's enough time it takes to develop at least two to three games which is actually what's happening right now (Conker and Kameo).

In the next year or two we might have more games from them. They only thing I suggest is to wait until conker and kameo hits stores and let RARE announce more games in development.

If you are a RARE fan than think about getting Conker. I played this month demo of conker and I loved it. Try it!
Old 12-12-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rare will be top gun with XBOX2.
Old 12-12-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could care less if it means I care a lot.
your arbitrariness gives me the heebiejeebies.
Old 12-13-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to like Rare. When they did Killer Instinct and Donkey Kong Country 1-3 on the SNES and then went on to make Banjo-Kazooie, Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, and Jet Force Gemini for the N64, I thought those guys were solid gold. Then they made Donkey Kong and Banjo Tooie, and I couldn't force my way through those boring collect-a-thons for all the Jiggies in China. Then came Perfect Dark, which I think they probably did the best they could with on the aging N64 hardware, but it's 15fps gameplay was too little too late for me after playing Half-Life, Quake III, and Unreal Tournament. After that, the only other game they made that I cared about Conker's Bad Fur Day. They managed to halt their downward spirl with that minor masterpiece of inspired lunacy, but then it was right back to business as usual with the lackluster Star Fox Adventure and Grabbed by the Goolies. Conker Live and Reloaded might get a rent from me just because I liked the first one so much, but Kameo has been pushed back so many times, who knows when it'll even come out. It's hard for me to get excited about anything they're working on these days.
Old 12-13-04, 12:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I love Grabbed by the Ghoulies!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.