Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

B5/Crusade fans? help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-04, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B5/Crusade fans? help!!

ok, I have never seen Crusade before but I now have the dvds (I have watched B5 for the first time as the dvds were released).

What is the best order in which for me to watch the episodes?

1. the order in which the episodes were aired (which I think is the order they are in on the dvds)?

OR

2. the order specified on this website: http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/
(see below).

also, does anyone know how the order on that lurker's guide was determined? No spoilers please....it's just that it is RADICALLY different from air order and I am uncertain as to which order would be best for me as a first time viewer.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Crusade
(This ordering, which JMS specified, ignores the uniform change in favor of maintaining continuity of storyline.)

1.09 Racing the Night
1.11 The Needs of Earth
1.10 The Memory of War
1.02 The Long Road
1.12 Visitors from Down the Street
1.03 The Well of Forever
1.13 Each Night I Dream of Home
1.05 Patterns of the Soul
1.04 The Path of Sorrows
1.06 Ruling from the Tomb
1.07 The Rules of the Game
1.01 War Zone
1.08 Appearances and Other Deceits
Old 12-11-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, this is a lose/lose situation.

The Lurker's Guide's list was the one jms specified when the (formerly) Sci-Fi Channel bought the rights to the show and aired it for the first time. This new order was a big part of their promotion package. To this day, I still don't really know the best way to watch these, but I've resigned myself to the jms order. It has many inconsistencies in that order (particularly in costumes and sets), but it's the way the show was supposed to progress before TNT started slicing it apart, and from a story perspective it (more or less) makes more sense this way.

Looking at how radically different the two lists are should give you an idea of just how hard TNT tried to ruin this show.

das
Old 12-11-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd stick with the jms-sanctioned order. Probably a lot better than whatever TNT decided.
Old 12-12-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
I haven't seen this since they aired on TNT, but I don't think it really makes much difference which order you watch the episodes in. Only thirteen episodes were produced, and it pretty much just set up plotlines and story elements that would've been played off of later in the run.

A couple of notes -- one of the continuity sticking points is with the costumes. At some point in production, TNT made them change the look of the uniforms, which kind of fucked up the continuity.

Another one is the episode "War Zone." TNT forced them to create a "zero" episode that started everything off. JMS was very much against this idea, and wanted to open the series with "Racing the Night" instead, but had little choice but to produce the "War Zone" episode. (And, by the way, does anyone know why this episode shows up as the penultimate episode in JMS's preferred order? Why not stick it at the end as an addendum, or just leave it off altogether?)
Old 12-13-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It’s been a while, but if “War Zone” is the one I’m thinking of, Josh’s idea is the first sensible approach I’ve heard. You watch almost the entire series, and suddenly find introductory material??

I’d like to see it first, so I’m not always asking, “Why, oh why, does JMS want to stick this at the end?” instead of just enjoying it.

Like “The Gathering,” it has a place in B5 TV history and shouldn’t be ignored. Unlike “The Gathering,” however, it doesn’t have a place other than with the series.
Old 12-13-04, 09:04 PM

Hello all!

I don't think it matters too much what order you choose to watch it in.

Like a previous poster said..It is only 13 episodes.

Myself, I have been watching it in the order that they are on the discs.
I can understand JMS view point on his watch order list about story consistancy but watching Crusade by his list and trying to ignore the "costume changes" is just too jarring for me. I skipped the SCI-FI channel reairings of these episodes for this very reason. The story flows well enough for me as is!

I just hope that we will get to see a resolution to this story in some format!!

Take care all!
Old 12-14-04, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dmacsg1
Hello all!

I don't think it matters too much what order you choose to watch it in.

Like a previous poster said..It is only 13 episodes.

Myself, I have been watching it in the order that they are on the discs.
I can understand JMS view point on his watch order list about story consistancy but watching Crusade by his list and trying to ignore the "costume changes" is just too jarring for me. I skipped the SCI-FI channel reairings of these episodes for this very reason. The story flows well enough for me as is!

I just hope that we will get to see a resolution to this story in some format!!

Take care all!
Well, if you're really into the B5 story, one of the series of novels (the Psi Corps trilogy) mentions the events that would have taken place in Crusade as an aside at one point, and gives a small amount of resolution.

Of course, then there's the theatrical movie that's going to start shooting in April (The Memory of Shadows), which, for all we know, could shed some more light on the unresolved stuff from Crusade.
Old 12-14-04, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by xVladx
Of course, then there's the theatrical movie that's going to start shooting in April (The Memory of Shadows), which, for all we know, could shed some more light on the unresolved stuff from Crusade.
Well, considering (from the published reports, so this isn't a spoiler) that Galen is in the movie, I would bet that's almost a given..
Old 12-14-04, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Londo
Well, considering (from the published reports, so this isn't a spoiler) that Galen is in the movie, I would bet that's almost a given..
I know absolutely nothing about his character other than the fact that he's a Technomage (have only seen one episode of Crusade, and haven't read Passing of the Technomages yet), but would it be possible for TMoS to take place before Crusade at all?