DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Why cant I see HDTV

Old 12-10-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why cant I see HDTV

I've had my new Samsung 30inch widescreen hdtv for 4 hours now and still no HDTV. I saw maybe 2 minutes before it pixelated and left.

I thought that HDTV was automatic but that's not the case. How do I see the HD channels? For example, Ch 10 is NBC and broadcasts in HD. I turn to 10 and no HD. Once it went to channel 10-1 for a few seconds but I can't get 10-1 up again. How do I?

Is there some HDTV button I need to push?
(yes, I read the manual)
D
Old 12-10-04, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just guesses (I don't even have HDTV, so these might not be accurate)...

Aren't there 2 types of HDTV tvs, one that has a built-in HDTV tuner, and one that can display HDTV, but needs an external tuner? Are you sure your tv has an HDTV tuner built into it?

You have it hooked up with component video cables or DVI right? (not composite or s-video or coaxial)

What do you have sending the signal to your tv? Cable box? DirecTv? Something else? Does it have to be told in a menu somewhere to start sending a high-def signal?
Old 12-10-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Derrich
I thought that HDTV was automatic but that's not the case. How do I see the HD channels? For example, Ch 10 is NBC and broadcasts in HD. I turn to 10 and no HD. Once it went to channel 10-1 for a few seconds but I can't get 10-1 up again. How do I?
If your NBC affiliate is WSLS out of Roanoke, the HD signal is on Channel 30, not Channel 10.

HD is a simulcast of the standard-def broadcast. I think HDTV is in the UHF band. You probably ought to check the Web sites of your local affiliates to find out what chennel their HD simulcast is on.

TheMadMonk is correct. You need to find out if your set has an HD tuner built into it, and you'll need an over-the-air antenna. You also might want to check with your cable/satellite provider to see what options they offer as well.
Old 12-11-04, 02:31 AM

It has a built in tuner(Samsung 30inch widescreen). I'm trying to get it to show HD from an antenna (over the air).

D
Old 12-11-04, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It might help if you post the specific model number.
Old 12-11-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll need to play around with the antenna positioning to find the right direction to keep the antenna pointed.

AntennaWeb allows you to put in your zip code and it'll display where to point the antenna, and how strong/large of an antenna you may need for proper reception.
Old 12-11-04, 09:37 AM

I've had my new Samsung 30inch widescreen hdtv for 4 hours now and still no HDTV. I saw maybe 2 minutes before it pixelated and left.
What do you mean by "still no HDTV"? Are you not getting a signal at all, or are you just not getting an HD picture? If you get a signal, but it's not HD, what makes you think it's not HD?

A couple things come to mind with the limited information you give:
- Are you using the correct type of antenna to pull in the signal from your location? (use the antennaweb.org website previously posted)
- Are you sure the show you are watching is broadcast in HD (this question of course is out the window if you're not getting a signal at all)? For example, NBC does broadcast shows in HD, but they do not broadcast ALL shows in HD...
- You're sure that your TV has a built in tuner and is not just "HD Ready"?

You've given very limited information, so it's hard for someone to pinpoint exactly what's going on. Not that we don't believe you, but we have no way of knowing how you have things set up or what you're seeing if you don't tell us.
Old 12-11-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I think Mr. Salty has the answer. Most stations still promote their "regular" channel, but most really have two channels. An old, regular one for analog broadcast and a new digital channel in the UHF band. The digital channel may be standard digital part of the day and only HD digital for particular shows. But if you are watching the analog channel, it will never be HD. You need to find the associated digital channel numbers for all your local stations, and watch those.
Old 12-11-04, 11:28 AM

The TV is a Samsung TX-P3075WH .

If I understand correctly, tuning into the normal NBC station may not give me an HD signal. There may be another version of the station on a different channel that broadcasts HD. And even then, it won't be broadcasting HD all the time.

I know the signal isn't HD because the TV will display the letters DTV when you're on a digital channel. And plus, HD signals shouldn't be all snowy and wiggly. The menu option also changel slightly when you're on watching HD.

So I'll need to wait until primetime and find a station with an HD channel, and then tune to that channel to see HD. correct?

D
Old 12-11-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
So I'll need to wait until primetime and find a station with an HD channel, and then tune to that channel to see HD. correct?
For the moment not every broadcast is in HD.

Also, the HD signal is an all or nothing signal. If you need to adjust your antenna to improve the signal strength then do so.
Old 12-11-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, do not count on the PSIP information to be correct for your station. My Sony set will display HD icon for non-HD programming and wrong time because they do not care to broadcast correct PSIP.

If you get station X. Have you tried entering X.1, X.2 or on to get sub-channels. You you can enter their digital channel and some boxes will re-map it to proper sub-channel.

Like Patman said try http://antennaweb.org

They will show you directions for local stations antennaes and analog/digital channels assignments for your DMA.
Old 12-11-04, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Just Lurking
Also, do not count on the PSIP information to be correct for your station. My Sony set will display HD icon for non-HD programming and wrong time because they do not care to broadcast correct PSIP.

If you get station X. Have you tried entering X.1, X.2 or on to get sub-channels. You you can enter their digital channel and some boxes will re-map it to proper sub-channel.

Like Patman said try http://antennaweb.org

They will show you directions for local stations antennaes and analog/digital channels assignments for your DMA.
I was going crazy over that x.1, x.2 stuff last night. I felt the answer was to get to channel 10.1 or 10.2 but for the life of me, I cant see how to enter the ".1" part on the samsung remote. There's nothing in the manual to say how to either.

D
Old 12-11-04, 02:17 PM

I dont know how your tv works but mine, if you are using an antenna to get HD channels, have it search for new channels. on my tv you can go into the menu on the tv and search for channels on antenna, and if there are any it will find them. and tuning to something like 8-1 try 008-1 or 08-1
Old 12-11-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

D
Have you checked the Web sites for your local television stations to find what channel they broadcast HDTV?
Old 12-12-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Using antennaweb.org, I found eight digital channels for you. There are digital 24/7, but only selected programs will be HD. You need to tune to the digital numbers. Your familiar analog chaannels map to digital as follows:
13->41
49->46
3->40
33->38
27->50
15->16
10->31
43->39
For all the channels in the left column, you should only be tuning the equivalent digital channel in the right column. There may still be a .1, .2 issue, but this will at least get you on the right (digital) frequency.

Most of these are about 29 miles away, almost due west. You may need a pretty decent antenna.

You have other, conventional analog channels closer. They don't have digital channels associated with them, so no HD, but may be easier to receive.
Old 12-15-04, 05:53 PM

Couldn't find any mention of it but what are you trying to use to receive the HD signal.
Old 12-20-04, 07:55 AM

I'm now all HD'd up. I dumped my original amplified rabbit ears and bought a Silver Sensor from Amazon that works like a charm. I set the TV to auto scan and it found a ton of channels. I also got the HD package from my cable company which is an extra 5 bucks a month and even though it's not worth it(basically 4 extra channels on cable vs 8 OTA) I can't bring myself to cancel it because every day they'll have something great on like the Olympics in HD.

D
Old 12-20-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
This thing has an amazing amount of positive reviews, so I will certainly bookmark this and get one when I get a HDTV in the next few months. I'm surprised for something so cheap, it does quite well.