Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

will R3 work in my R1 player?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've heard somewhere that the R3 japanese superbits will work in any R1 stand-alone player...is this true?

if so, is this the case with ALL R3s?
Old 12-10-04, 05:05 PM

no only superbits
Old 12-10-04, 05:27 PM

Depends on the film as well, as many are region free, but you would need to ask about specific films, but many are region free and will work on R1 players and many wont, big Holywood films by Big companies nearly are always coded R3, smaller companies and non Holywood film are regulary Region free.

I think if in doubt, ask on here the worst that can happen is people say they dont work.
Old 12-10-04, 05:51 PM

Yeah, its all a case-by-case basis.. Websites such as AZNFilms.com will usually mention in their descriptions if its actually region free or not (I know stuff like Volcano High and a few of the Infernal Affairs say Region3 but are actually Region0)
Besides that, try: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
And see if theres a 'code' to make your DV DPlayer region free.
Besides that,
Old 12-10-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the replies...

how about this title, Dark Water, it's region 3 NTSC, will this work on my region 1 player?

here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...346786976&rd=1
Old 12-10-04, 07:07 PM

If you see yourself acquiring non-R1 titles on a fairly frequent basis, you may just want to go ahead and consider getting yourself a region-free capable DVD player. A fairly popular recent model is the Philips 642 which can be had for under $70.
Old 12-10-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shadowpuppet is right!! I was going to post the same response. Please be warned that all region activity is deadly to the wallet. I can't count the times I've ventured into this forum and walked out $80 (two typical Reg 2 superbit or someother must have better PQ/DTS title) less.

To me the two coolest things are discovery of films that may never see the light of day in reg 1. Plus, showing different region's dvd of a film that is currently in the local theaters. Oscar talk and critical reviews of House of FLying Daggers...friends lined up at the local AMC, or come to the Boster Family Theater and see the same film.

Ron
Old 12-10-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by slateef
i've heard somewhere that the R3 japanese superbits will work in any R1 stand-alone player...is this true?
Japan is Region 2.

Region 3 is Hong Kong, Korea, and a few other Asian countries.
Old 12-11-04, 05:12 PM

Lots of discs are actually encoded with multiple region codes, so those superbits arent really region-free, but they're encoded for regions 1,3,4.
Lots of Region 1 discs are also r3 and r4 because r4 is used in the South America and 3 in Far East and both use NTSC.
Old 12-11-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does anyone know if the above R3 disc will work in an R1 player? (Dark Water).
Old 12-12-04, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
No - the Widesight release of Dark Water will most definitely NOT work in a Region 1 player. I just checked with my copy. Most DVDs that say Region 3 on it will only work on Region 3 players (or players modified to play DVDs from any region)... it is only in rare cases that a region specified DVD will work on any region player. The superbits are an example and typically anything else that says one region but will actually play in any, the seller will likely state that it will work in any region player.

Just go to HKflix and pick up a cheap region free player - spend a few extra bucks and get one that will convert PAL to NTSC in case you want to get DVDs from the UK or France.
Old 12-12-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks trigger