Reload this Page >

BUFFY SEASON 7 deserves better than 2 and a half stars

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-09-04, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ADAM TYNER dous not know how to review dvds man

buffy season 7 deserves at least 4 stars if you guys at dvd talk are giving each season of smallville 4 stars. buffy seasons 4, 5, 6 and 7 deserve atleast 4s. i dont know wat you base these reviews on but buffy is umtieth times better than 95 percent of the shows out there, theres no way it should be getting rediculously low scores like this
Old 12-09-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by lboy
Did you read the review or just look at the star ratings?

Admittedly, my star ratings are usually an afterthought -- I'd rather people read what I've written (as long and rambling as it may be) than rely solely on arbitrary numbers. Still, I usually use 3 stars as my baseline for garden-variety 'good'. Since I thought season 7 of Buffy was below-average, I gave it a lower score. I don't see anything particularly bizarre or baffling about that.

I didn't write the other reviews you mentioned, but I think it's a mistake to compare different reviewers' star ratings at face value since different people have different biases, have different scales in mind, etc.

For what it's worth, I've gotten much more feedback about this review than nearly anything else I've ever written, and this is the first negative comment I've gotten.
Old 12-09-04, 07:31 PM

so my boy ADAM

so your saying that if you watched sopranos or watever and you thought it was good you would give it 4 stars. and that would mean quality wise buffy was the weaker series. Do you ever look at the stars you give for other shows or movies and ever think hmm if i give buffy 2 1/2 star rating that would mean that by you giving angel season 4 4 stars means that its better than seasons 4, 5, 6, 7 of buffy. i would think not buddy. season 4 of angel is so much weak than anyof those buffy season its not even funny. the acting is stronger on buffy, so is the writing and even the story telling. and your also telling me a movie like euro trip deserves more star rating than buffys season 5, 6, 7 come on buddy. come on buddy wat you grading buffy on overall arc of the season or the quality of the episodes. cuz there isnt another show out there that comes even close to reaching the same highs as buffy. YOU ALSO GAVE LIZZIE MCGUIRE movie 3 stars your saying buffy season 7 isnt even as good as lizzi mcguire movie come on buddy. buffy is the best show on television and deserves better than 2 and a half stars and season 5, 6 deserve more than 3 and a half stars consider garbage like 24 is getting 4 and a halfs.
Old 12-09-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-09-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

If I had to name my favorite television series of all time, Buffy would clock in at number two or three. I absolutely adore it. I think the later seasons have a lot of good episodes, but they overall aren't as consistent as my seasons two and three, my favorite of the bunch. Season seven fares the worst of those.

Yes, I would without hesitation say that the fourth season of Angel is superior to the last few seasons of Buffy. If you disagree, then you're certainly entitled to that opinion, and I wouldn't think any less of you for it. (I wouldn't understand it, but I wouldn't hold it against you. )

YOU ALSO GAVE LIZZIE MCGUIRE movie 3 stars your saying buffy season 7 isnt even as good as lizzi mcguire movie come on buddy.
I think The Lizzie McGuire Movie is good for what it is -- cute, fluffy, insubstantial kid-fare. It's not a one-to-one relationship. You can't take what I rate a cutesy kid flick, a grisly slasher movie, a period mystery series, and Buffy and expect to be able to use those ratings interchangeably.

If you're going to continue this discussion, I'd rather you comment on the text of the review and forget about the star ratings.
Old 12-09-04, 08:12 PM

I've got to say that I agree with the text of the review (and have thought pretty much the exact same thing ever since S7 first aired).

The first season of Buffy had the excuse of being the first season, with an uncertain future, and characters who were still settling into place. However, S7 had no such excuse, and as far as Buffy goes, it was an absolute mess. There were so many plot holes, dropped plotlines, and things that just didn't make sense (and were never even attempted to be explained), that the show just got more irritating as the season went on.

I've watched S7 twice. Once when it was first aired, and again while in syndication on FX. I will say that it is a little bit better if you can watch the episodes without a whole lot of space in between them. When S7 originally aired, the weird scheduling made the sloppy writing all the worse. However, even when watching two episodes a day, it was still pretty bad.

See, the thing is, most of the individual episodes were at least pretty good, but the overall story was just too messy.
Old 12-09-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yea but come on buddy. i mean really come on buddy.

das
Old 12-09-04, 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=Adam Tyner]If I had to name my favorite television series of all time, Buffy would clock in at number two or three. QUOTE]

well whats your favorite series than buddy, its probably some stupid series like 24, or something
Old 12-09-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"My ears are burning...from beyond!"
Old 12-09-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

well whats your favorite series than buddy, its probably some stupid series like 24, or something
Freaks and Geeks is unlikely to be unseated as my favorite anytime soon.

Is there any point to this?
Old 12-09-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Doubt it. I say you close it up. I can point out tons of reviews I may not agree with, but reviews are just another persons opinion. So no point in really complaining about them.

And 24 is far from a "stupid series"
Old 12-09-04, 09:30 PM

DID THAT SHOW EVEN GET PAST THE FIRST SEASON

i mean what was it only 18 episodes come on buddy wat you talkin, i liked that show too but how can you put it ahead of buffy, season 2 of buffy is allot better than freaks and geeks. id take overall all 144 episodes of buffy over the 18 freaks and geeks offered.
Old 12-09-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts
And lboy does not know how to spell... or capitalize... or punctuate.
Old 12-09-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd just like to say I hope lboy isn't suspended or banned any time soon. I haven't had this much fun reading posts since Danol was banished. Seriously.
Old 12-09-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
DID THAT SHOW EVEN GET PAST THE FIRST SEASON

i mean what was it only 18 episodes come on buddy wat you talkin, i liked that show too but how can you put it ahead of buffy, season 2 of buffy is allot better than freaks and geeks. id take overall all 144 episodes of buffy over the 18 freaks and geeks offered.

I mean really, what's the point of this thread? You want to compare shows that are nothing alike. Just give it up.
Old 12-09-04, 11:08 PM

Quote:
YOU ALSO GAVE LIZZIE MCGUIRE movie 3 stars your saying buffy season 7 isnt even as good as lizzi mcguire movie come on buddy.

I think The Lizzie McGuire Movie is good for what it is -- cute, fluffy, insubstantial kid-fare.

Let's not forget anything with Hilary Duff automatically gets 3 stars off the bat, no matter how bad the movie is. You'll always have a great attention span with her in it.
Old 12-09-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I salute you, Product Placement Ad spaces

Old 12-09-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good job Adam, as someone who watched all 7 seasons of Buffy from the start, your star rating is right on for this season.

Also, little boy, you are making a fool of yourself.
Old 12-09-04, 11:56 PM

YOU GUYS ARE THE FOOLS

BUFFY is the greatest show to ever grace the television screen and it only gets 2 and a half stars, smallville gets 4, arrested development get 4 and a half and the greatest show gets 2 and a half. dvd talk i sense some kind conspiracy against the buffy nobody could question its greatness yet you guys are giving it 2 and a half and 3 and a half stars, when giving it anything under a 5 is an outrage. you people need to rewatch buffy from season 1 to 7 and than write up your review without your biases and stuff, cuz yall is just got some kind of grudge against the greatness that is buffy, check yourself buddy before you write your reviews or lboy will expose you for the bad reviewer that you is.
Old 12-10-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
I think you have to be at least 13 to post here.
Old 12-10-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is really funny, seeing as the first three seasons each got four and a half stars. All of them get a "highly recommended" rating aside from the last two seasons, which still get a "recommended."

I was probably watching Buffy while you were still in elementary school, judging by your behavior. I had a Buffy fansite and helped run a Buffy message board. Not that those are important events, but they can show you I'm not some person who has a "Buffy grudge."

You are either trolling, or rather clueless. In any event, you are just making the others here laugh. You don't need anyone to expose you for the troll that "you is"
Old 12-10-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

cuz yall is just got some kind of grudge against the greatness that is buffy, check yourself buddy before you write your reviews or lboy will expose you for the bad reviewer that you is.
I promise I isn't gots no grudge 'gainst no Buffy. Season seven isn't very good, so it doesn't get a very good rating. If I were reviewing seasons two or three, there would be many more stars. Promise. So do you think I have a grudge against Buffy because it's only, I dunno, my third favorite show?

I'll ask, although I'm sure it's a waste of time -- did you read those reviews, and do you have any comments on them? Not star ratings, but the actual reviews?
Old 12-10-04, 01:18 AM

YOU GUYS ARE THE FOOLS

BUFFY is the greatest show to ever grace the television screen and it only gets 2 and a half stars, smallville gets 4, arrested development get 4 and a half and the greatest show gets 2 and a half.
I consider buffy as the best ever too, sopranos is close, but i'd say buffy is the best. This may seem sad, but i swear to god, literally as i'm typing this, i have the musical album going on .mp3 as we speak. I could go on a rant of how the musical episode has hidden messages and backwards speech or whatnot, cause it's literally in my brain once per day (i'm a late person, just watched the whole series in about 3 months straight almost non-stop, so it's fresh).

But so buffy season 2/3 was 5 stars, if not, close the best you can get. When it hits such a high peak like that, you can only go down. 2/3/4/5 was great, season 6 had magical stuff too, like the old days, but that was the old days. You can't give 5 stars all out, cause it's better than let's say smallville or some random show. It's better than that yes, but Buffy set a standard in season 2/3 that can't be broke.

Same deal with Sopranos/the shield/six feet under people....... those 3 with their first seasons were amazing. The show is still good but will never be as good. So if sopranos gets less stars than some shitty show, that's for a reason, because the show was at literally a 5 star apex, and after that, you can't do better.

Buffy is great, he even said that, but besides what..... lost, desperate house wives, and Alias that is coming in jan. those are the only network shows that are on par to the writting with that? No, but still good. Just wait till Wheden makes his next splash, he knows the $$$$$$$$ is in the buffyverse after firefly was gone and after this shitty movie he is making based off a t.v show that was cancelled by fox. Faith's show, tru calling got canned, it's only a matter of time.

http://www.buffy.nu/ === only a matter of time.

Edit: i'd say the o.c. is up there too with lost/alias/desperate

Last edited by xx2000xx; 12-10-04 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-10-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

YOU GUYS ARE THE FOOLS

BUFFY is the greatest show to ever grace the television screen and it only gets 2 and a half stars, smallville gets 4, arrested development get 4 and a half and the greatest show gets 2 and a half. dvd talk i sense some kind conspiracy against the buffy nobody could question its greatness yet you guys are giving it 2 and a half and 3 and a half stars, when giving it anything under a 5 is an outrage. you people need to rewatch buffy from season 1 to 7 and than write up your review without your biases and stuff, cuz yall is just got some kind of grudge against the greatness that is buffy, check yourself buddy before you write your reviews or lboy will expose you for the bad reviewer that you is.

Let me take a moment to laugh at you

Oh man, please, go tell your parents to turn off the computer, you've been using the internet badly and not for homework.
Old 12-10-04, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
buddy?

Does Iboy understand that you were only grading season 7? He is acting like by giving season 7 a bad grade, you are saying the whole series sucked. Buffy is my fav. show of all time (I didn't watch Freeks and Geeks, but I hope to check it out soon because of everything I've heard about it) but I can admit that season 7 seven was a low point. All those buffy speeches drove me crazy. Like xx2000xx said, when season 7 is measured against all the other seasons, even 1 & 6, it would be lucky to get 2.5 stars.

Nick

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.