Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Just started watching my Firefly DVD....

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Just started watching my Firefly DVD....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just started watching my Firefly DVD it rocks!!

All I can say is wow! What a GREAT series!! At the reccommendation of many many DVDtalkers I picked this up as a blind buy, and I couldn't be more happier. I can't believe I missed this when it aired on Fox, and SHAME SHAME SHAME on Fox for canceling this show.

I am through Serenity part 1 and 2 and halfway though Train something Trainheisting...wwhatever.

1 question though, should I be watching this series in the order of the date it aired, or should I be watching it in the order of the DVD's, starting with DVD 1 and moving though the last one.

Great characters, story, acting, its funny yet serious, yet touching.

And the "whore" damn she is hot!

Last edited by animalmystic; 12-08-04 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 02:19 PM

definitely watch in the order that they are on the dvd. when originally aired, the 1.5 hour pilot that introduced the characters wasn't shown until half way through its 'run.'
Old 12-08-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
She's not a whore, she's a courtesan.
There's a difference.
Definitely watch in the DVD order, the network showed them all out of sequence.
That is an excellent series. Perhaps made better by the fact that there were so few episodes.
Old 12-08-04, 02:25 PM

Episode 2 is "The Train Job". And definately watch them in the order on the DVD.

Joss Whedon is a my lord and television savior.
Old 12-08-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...and you decided to start a thread with a vauge title?

You should watch them by disc order. Fox really dropped the ball and played them out of order which does fuck around with the story since some of them do reference other episodes.
Old 12-08-04, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the heads up. Thats lame they played them out of order.
Old 12-08-04, 02:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
...and you decided to start a thread with a vauge title?

You should watch them by disc order. Fox really dropped the ball and played them out of order which does fuck around with the story since some of them do reference other episodes.
Changed title
Old 12-08-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by animalmystic
All I can say is wow! What a GREAT series!! At the reccommendation of many many DVDtalkers I picked this up as a blind buy, and I couldn't be more happier. I can't believe I missed this when it aired on Fox, and SHAME SHAME SHAME on Fox for canceling this show.
Shame, shame shame on YOU for not watching it while it was airing. THAT IS PARTLY WHY FOX CANCELLED IT.

I am through Serenity part 1 and 2 and halfway though Train something Trainheisting...wwhatever.

1 question though, should I be watching this series in the order of the date it aired, or should I be watching it in the order of the DVD's, starting with DVD 1 and moving though the last one.
Watch it in episode order not the whacked out of sequence way FOX broadcast it.
Old 12-08-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cancelling this show was the worst decision Fox ever made regarding a new series. I have seen them cancel great shows with potential before, but this show had such HUGE potential to go places TV hadn't gone before and we only got 13 episodes. If Fox played their cards right, this could have been a Babylon 5 type franchise for their studio. I just hope when the movie comes out it does incredible business and they bring this show back to the air.
Old 12-08-04, 03:10 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it. I wish I could watch them again for the first time.
Old 12-08-04, 03:20 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

How were sales? Any movie rumors?
Old 12-08-04, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrE
How were sales? Any movie rumors?
Movie comes out next year called "Serenity"
Old 12-08-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Movie comes out next year called "Serenity"
To be more specific, the movie comes out in five months.

You can read a lengthy thread on the subject, complete with pictures from the set,
here.
Old 12-08-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
More specifically, the movie comes out next September. It was recently pushed back.
Old 12-08-04, 05:16 PM

And the "whore" damn she is hot!
I also bought it blind (during the DDD 20% off sale) and also think its great. My favorite character is Kaylee Frye, the mechanic who is always smiling. I would pay bucks to see her in the "whore" outfit.

Last edited by mikeporter; 12-08-04 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Shame, shame shame on YOU for not watching it while it was airing. THAT IS PARTLY WHY FOX CANCELLED IT.
Yes, because obviously he had a Nielsen box in his TV like we all do. Fox cancelled the show because it didn't get good enough ratings, but as time has proven, it wasn't due to a lack of fans or a lack of quality in the show itself. The series failed to connect with its fanbase because of what Fox did to it--showing episodes out of order, skipping episodes, putting the show in a Friday night death slot, and cancelling it before it had a real chance. If they had done the same to the first season of Buffy, that show wouldn't have racked in the viewers either. It was poor judgment and a lack of faith on Fox's part, and I suspect it's pride that keeps them from bringing back the series now that it's found its fanbase--after all, that would be admitting Fox made a mistake. If Serenity does well and warrants sequels which also do well, that might be enough to overcome Fox's corporate pride.
Old 12-08-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by milo bloom
More specifically, the movie comes out next September. It was recently pushed back.

SNAP! this wouldn't have happened if Fox made the movie......

that's cause fox wouldn't have made the movie.
Old 12-08-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adam Baldwin was my favorite character in the show, definitely wished it had gone on for at least a complete season.
Old 12-08-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Partly? What would the other part be? The fact that Fox sucks and cancels great shows randomly all the time? The fact that the execs seem to have ADD and won't let a show build an audience?

animalmystic's viewing habits had nothing to do with it. Fox didn't trust this show from the start. They aired it on Friday nights. They didn't think the first show was 'good enough' so they aired it out of order. And they cancelled it after just a few episodes.

I tuned in the first night and thought it was mediocre at best. Watching them in order was an entirely different experience. In short, Fox blows. (see: Family Guy, The Tick, Greg The Bunny).
Old 12-08-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now I love this show, I think it's great (actually I bought mine from Jackskeleton ), but I must say, out of the 4 people I've made watch it, they all hated it. And I'm not talking about film snob type people here. I think it certainly deserved more of a chance, but I was blown away when my friend's didn't like it, and I guess the same might be said for J6P.
Old 12-08-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
SNAP! this wouldn't have happened if Fox made the movie......

that's cause fox wouldn't have made the movie.
The reason the "Serenity" movie has been pushed back to September is because the studio doesn't want to release it in competition with some other little science fiction movie being distributed by Fox next summer. What's that one called again?... Space Battles?... Cosmic Conflicts?... Something like that. I'm sure you've never heard of it.
Old 12-08-04, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
What's that one called again?... Space Battles?... Cosmic Conflicts?... Something like that. I'm sure you've never heard of it.
Okay, I'll bite. Star Wars Episode III. Oh yeah and that other lowly movie...uh...Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I agree with Firefly being pushed back to Sept. Opening in the same timeframe as SW and HHGTTG would have been a disaster for Firefly even if both SW and HHGTTG totally sucked.
Old 12-08-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
September makes sense to me... I've always wondered why studios seem to cram everything into the May-July timeframe. And then August-October always sucks. Yet they'll be a 'surprise' movie every year during that time that makes $millions$

I'll be seeing it on the big screen (no matter what month). Looking forward to this. And that other film... Star Something: Episode SomethingorOther.

[Looks like Universal's theatrical dept. is not run by the same morons who are in charge of DVD. This is actually a great decision -- both making the film and picking the date.]
Old 12-09-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikeporter
I also bought it blind (during the DDD 20% off sale) and also think its great. My favorite character is Kaylee Frye, the mechanic who is always smiling. I would pay bucks to see her in the "whore" outfit.
I think Jewel is an underrated hottie. If you want to see her in something far more revealing, you need to pick up Dead Like Me season one. A great series first off, but she is also in the last episode as a goth girl who gets banged in a closet.
Old 12-09-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

August
Cause kids go back to school around that time. By that point Summer is long gone and those last few weeks seem to have a lot of holidays. There is a reason why studios don't put their major flicks there. Because the weekend takes have sucked.

The real question here is how well it will appeal to those who haven't seen the series. Especially how fox treated the series, I doubt it will have many new comers go see it blind even with the attempt to make it more appealing or accessable to first timers. Fox will have to help out on that aspect and be willing to show the episodes or want to take advantage of the new comers by offering a price drop on the dvd set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.