Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dreamcast questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreamcast questions

I am so happy right now. I was digging thru a closet and found my DREAMCAST, and the best part is VirtuaTennis was in the drive. I can't find any of my other old games and was wanting some suggestions for games to play. I saw EB games has a large selection of pre-owned games. I also saw that there was a version of Half Life that had extra levels and such but can't find it anywhere on ebgames.com or gamestop.com. Is this available? Thanks for any suggestions for games.
Old 12-08-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Halflife was canned when it was like 5% from being done on the Dreamcast due to their press release of abandoning the dreamcast alot of companies pulled games . As for games I had alot of fun with Resident evil code veronica. I can't remember anymore atm but if i think of any i'll let you know
Old 12-08-04, 01:49 PM

Thanks glassdragon!!!! I will pick that one up. My wife (then fiancee) had a lot of fun with Ecco and the fishing games (she hates fishing, so explain that one). I even found the ole fishing rod controller as well.
Old 12-08-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
I've been playing a lot of Mr. Driller, and Crazy Taxi was a lot of fun. I also recently picked up Typing of the Dead, which is in the House of the Dead series. You have to use the DC keyboard to type words that appear on a zombie to kill it. Bizarrely fun.
Old 12-08-04, 02:48 PM

Half-Life was actually finished, but never released.

I have it.

It'd probably be very good with the DC mouse and KB, but I was never into the left analog aiming, button movement scheme.
Old 12-08-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Skies of Arcadia, excellent RPG except for its seemingly inordinate number of random encounters. SoA probably created the best 'Let's explore the world!' feeling I've ever seen in an RPG.

Grandia 2. Not quite as good as SoA, but still a good turnbased RPG, with a little 'realtime' twist to combat.

Speed Devils--car racing in real, changing environments.

I enjoyed both Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament, and I'm not a huge FPSer.
Old 12-08-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unreal for the DC was great. and Soul Calibur (of course). One I loved that nobody ever remembers is Shadowman.
Old 12-08-04, 04:39 PM

Metropolis Street Racer & Test Drive Le Mans are excellent for racing.
Good shooting games are Ikaruga and Mars Matrix,although both are very difficult.
Samba De Amigo is a great game,similar to Parappa but better. Rez & Headhunter(imports) are must-haves.
Old 12-08-04, 05:22 PM

I liked Headhunter alot, although it was only released in Europe I think. Sword of the Berserk is a pretty cool slash em up. Virtua Tennis 2k2 is the best tennis game ever. Hydro Thunder is a really cool arcade boatracing game. Man, there are alot of great games for the dreamcast.
Old 12-09-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I love Dreamcast threads Here is a list of some games that Im sure youll have a blast with, keep in mind some of these may be harder to find.

Mr Driller
Crazy Taxi 1 & 2
Power Stone 1 & 2
Street Fighter World Impact (A arcade perfect port of Third Strike is on PS2)
House of the Dead 2
Spider-Man
Giga Wing (part two is ok but not as good as part 1)
Soul Calibur (especially if you have a VGA box)
Star Wars Jedi Power Battles
Speed Devils
Jet Grind Radio
Marvel VS Capcom 1 & 2

If I think of anymore I'll post

-zero
Old 12-09-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I cant believe I forgot MvC2! Great game.
Old 12-09-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zero
Giga Wing (part two is ok but not as good as part 1)
Sacrilege!!!
Old 12-09-04, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions folks!! I've got quite the list to buy now!!!
Old 12-10-04, 01:45 AM
Banned

Dreamcast was the fucking shit. Allot of 2-D gaming on that bad boy. Man that system was the shit. Here is a nice list off some other forum.

Opps forgot link here ya go.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=312092

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 12-10-04 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Sacrilege!!!
Wait allow me to rephrase...The american version of Giga Wing 2 isnt as good as part one. There is something to be said about SPARKK BOMBAAAAAAA thats missing from the american disc. It is still fun despite missing voices. Did you like Mars Matrix as well Pixy? Oh and I know its probably overlooked and maybe forgotten but Cannon Spike is pretty fun.
Old 12-10-04, 01:37 PM

Test Drive Le Mans was great.
Old 12-10-04, 11:15 PM

If you have 3 or 4 controllers Rush 2049's multiplayer is a blast. Of all of the multiplayer games I had this was the most requested. The single player isn't half bad either.

The Dreamcast version of Rayman 2 is still one of my favorite 3-D platform games. It is supposed to be the best of all of the versions, including (by a small margin) the one for the PS2.
Old 12-11-04, 09:26 AM

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is a pretty good one.

But don't forget Chu Chu Rocket, my favorite multiplayer on the system.
Old 12-11-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are there any really good single player FPS on the DC? I know about Soldier of Fortune, but couldn't really think of any others, except for Q3A and UT, but I thought those were bot only in single player...

And to echo the above, I loved Shadowman. Never played the 2nd on the PS2 - the first one was pretty dark with witchcraft/voodoo.
Old 12-11-04, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
Are there any really good single player FPS on the DC? I know about Soldier of Fortune, but couldn't really think of any others, except for Q3A and UT, but I thought those were bot only in single player...
There's Outtrigger. But now that I think about it, maybe that's bot only too.

Maken X is definetly not bot only.
Old 12-11-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sonic, Skies of Arcadia, MvC2
Old 12-11-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rawer
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is a pretty good one.

Seconded.
I never did ever get Chu-chu Rocket.
Old 12-12-04, 07:24 AM

I also have to echo the Shadowman posts, same for Rayman 2. Best platformer I've played. Try to find Bagai-o if you can. Great shooter from Treasure.
Old 12-12-04, 08:31 AM

The dreamcast version of Halflife (which is floating around the web if you know how to find such things) is interesting as a curiosity, but with the incredibly long and frequent load times and touchy control, you're much better off just picking it up for the PC.

If you happen to find Dynamite Cop (which I've seen at EB for pretty cheap) pick it up just for the laughs. Its not a very deep or long game, but its very fun and incredibly silly.

Personal faves: Jet Grind Radio, Rush 2049, Rayman 2, Sonic Adventure, Typing of the Dead (every single person I know, game fan or not, loves this game), Samba De Amigo, Hydro Thunder
Old 12-12-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Inspired by this thread, I added my Dreamcast to my setup this weekend (had to drill a hole between two cabinets so I could run cables over to my receiver).

I stayed up until 2 am last night just popping games in, playing for a few minutes, and moving on to another game.

Test Drive LeMans is still an awesome racing game, even when compared to current generation games. I expected to be wowed by how crappy the graphics looked for all of the games, but the Dreamcast is still pretty impressive. Great system, it's a shame it didn't make it longer.

I may try to play Grandia II. I'm not much of a RPGer, but every once in a while I get this urge to play. I doubt I'll finish it, but Grandia II will get the RPG bug out of my system without paying $50 for a Xbox or PS2 game. I was surprised that I had made it through 6 hours of the game before I quit playing it before (the PS2 came along and I got distracted).

I can't find ChuChu Rocket or NFL2K1. I'm wondering if I traded those in for PS2 games.

I feel like such a retro gamer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.