AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferguson Tapped As 'Late Late Show' Host

http://breakingnews.nypost.com/dynam...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Ferguson Tapped As 'Late Late Show' Host

By DAVID BAUDER
AP Television Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Scottish actor Craig Ferguson, who played the boss for many years on "The Drew Carey Show," will be the new host of CBS' "Late Late Show."

A formal announcement was expected Tuesday, according to two executives close to CBS who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Ferguson passed through a gauntlet of on-air tryouts set up by Worldwide Pants, David Letterman's production company. He was one of four finalists with actor Michael Ian Black, comedian D.L. Hughley and MTV "Total Request Live" host Damien Fahey.

He replaces Craig Kilborn, who announced in August that he was leaving the 12:30 a.m. talk show after five years. The "Late Late Show" trails the time slot leader, NBC's "Late Night" with Conan O'Brien, in the ratings.

Ferguson's Scottish burr at least brings a different sound to late-night television. He was endorsed by New York Daily News critic David Bianculli, who said in a column printed Tuesday that Ferguson "just kept getting more and more comfortable, and showed more range, humor and originality than any of the others."

Ferguson, 42, wrote and produced the 2000 film "Saving Grace." He was a top comic in Britain before moving to Los Angeles in 1995
Old 12-07-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so much for that show! dude's ok, but I doubt he'll last
Old 12-07-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
so much for that show! dude's ok, but I doubt he'll last
He may not last, but I still think he's funnier than Kilborn ever was.
Old 12-07-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard of the guy.

The only reason I even payed a little attention to this is b/c I read that a member of the greatest sketch comedy group ever, Michael Ian Black was supposively the front-runner at getting this job.

Figures he wouldn't get thow & it would go to somebody from maybe the unfunniest TV show in the history of TV.
Old 12-07-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Interesting. He was always pretty funny on Drew Carey.
Old 12-07-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Spanky BananaPants
He may not last, but I still think he's funnier than Kilborn ever was.
thats not saying too much. i think a brick wall is funnier then kilborn
Old 12-07-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Didn't expect this. I did enjoy the one show that he hosted which I saw.

I thought he was funny in on the Drew Carey Show, too. He was also great in Born Romantic.
Old 12-07-04, 06:35 PM
Banned

I thought Michael Ian Black was awesome as host.
Old 12-07-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good news. I watched most of the shows when they had a different person every night, but Ferguson was the only one I bothered watching when they did the extended trials.

The only problem is he isn't really competition for Conan. When Kilborn first left I remember CBS was talking big, with their sights set on either Chris Rock or Jon Stewart. Ferguson will either have to drum up viewers by being funny or he's sunk. Name recognition as "that guy from Drew Carey" ain't going to do much.
Old 12-07-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This has to be the worst idea ever. It's almost as if they want him to fail or don't care who they put in. I mean honestly, they gave Mr. Wick a talk show!

I realize he did some good stuff in England, but the average American knows nothing about him.
Old 12-07-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
This has to be the worst idea ever. It's almost as if they want him to fail or don't care who they put in. I mean honestly, they gave Mr. Wick a talk show!

I realize he did some good stuff in England, but the average American knows nothing about him.
And the average American knew even less about Conan O'Brien...
Old 12-07-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Burnt Alive

Exactly. Nobody even knew who Conan was, and look how that turned out.
Old 12-07-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I rarely watch late night talk shows anymore, but Kilborn was never close to Conan's league.
Which show had the better ratings, and did the ratings for the LLS go up or down after Kilborn left?
Old 12-07-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I rarely watch late night talk shows anymore, but Kilborn was never close to Conan's league.
Which show had the better ratings, and did the ratings for the LLS go up or down after Kilborn left?
Conan owned that spot for years. Nothing has come close in ratings to his show in a competing slot.
Old 12-07-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Burnt Alive
Exactly, in fact, I hated Conan that first year but now he is my favorite.
Old 12-08-04, 12:42 AM

I always thought Furg and DL were the front runners. DL is funny as hell but ferg was the better inverviewer and was the most comfortable of them all. I'm sorry but anyone who thought the other 2 were in the final four don't know funny.

Why do I get the feeling most of you guys didn't watch Ferg's week? I did, he rocked.
Old 12-08-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by waporvare
Exactly, in fact, I hated Conan that first year but now he is my favorite.
Mind you, Conan O'Brien was also a MAJOR beneficiary of low expectations, too. He started his stint to replace David Letterman at NBC at the time Letterman started his show on CBS in Fall 1993, which meant that O'Brien had the time to hone his late-night hosting gig.

Last edited by RayChuang; 12-08-04 at 01:46 AM. Reason: correct information
Old 12-08-04, 02:18 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the people they talked about being a guest host when Kilborn left was Amy Sedaris, but I don't remember ever seeing her host the show. Did I miss it?
Old 12-08-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I KNEW IT!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!! I said in another post that I wanted Ferguson!!

Once people see him on the show and give him a chance I know they'll love him. Ferguson was funny, he had a natural quick wit, his comedy NEVER seemed forced or uncomfortable, and he just seemed "right" in the role. I never laughed harder and felt better about watching TLLS when he was on.

I will now watch the show.

I love DL, but he's still limited in his audience appeal. Adam Corrola is great but on TLLS he was stiff and just not right. Micheal Black seemed like he was fresh out of Comedy school and that wasn't good and everyone else was just so so.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-08-04 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-08-04, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Give him a chance? My tv will be tuned into NBC. Conan will still be king of that time slot.
Old 12-08-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RayChuang
Mind you, Conan O'Brien was also a MAJOR beneficiary of low expectations, too. He started his stint to replace David Letterman at NBC at the time Letterman started his show on CBS in Fall 1993, which meant that O'Brien had the time to hone his late-night hosting gig.
That's not really true. If you've ever heard Conan interviewed about the early days, he continually says they were on the verge of cancellation many times in the first two years.
Old 01-04-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just a heads-up that Ferguson started his permanent gig last night. I watched part of it (the David Duchoveny interview). He did a fine job. The show's on too late to be a part of my usual schedule, but I'll probably tape it if he has some interesting guests on.
Old 01-04-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
It was just as lame as I thought it would be. As rough as Conan was when he started, at least he was able to shape his show to his personality and offer something new. Ferguson is stuck doing Kilborn's show still: the same tone, the same writers, basically the same set, the same announcer, even the cards with the pictures of the guests on them. I'm not writing the guy off after one show, but CBS really blew a great opportunity to do something different to compete with Conan.
Old 01-04-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nobody, I repeat N-O-B-O-D-Y can compete with Conan *salutes the Walker Texas Ranger lever*
Old 01-05-05, 01:30 PM

As some have harped on, Conan was aweful the first two years, but look what we have now. Ferguson is extremely funny and very talented. That does not mean he will be good at this, but I think things could turn out well if CBS gives him a chance to develop.

Oh, and the front runner was Adam Corolla until he pulled himself out of the race.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.