Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bought some shelving...(continued)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-04, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought some shelving...(continued)

Well, apparently my original thread was lost in the forum upgrade, so I'm resurrecting the discussion here.

Anyway, for those who participated in the original thread you may remember that I was interested in the Leslie Dame 1500 series storage rack but my father didn't really want to spend the money for it.

He was wanting to check around in local stores to see what was available. Well, after doing so, he apparently didn't find anything comparable. So after looking back on-line with dad looking over my shoulder, he decided to let me go ahead and order one the above. It's the solid oak veneer version. This will be my Christmas present, and a badly needed one too, as I am totally out of space right now.

Later on, if necessary, I may buy one of the 500 series as well to hold just my boxsets.
Old 12-07-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, pretty nice. That's a great price for something that holds so many DVDs and looks so nice. I might have to follow in your footsteps. How hard was it to assemble?
Old 12-07-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice.
Old 12-07-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

very, very nice.
Old 12-07-04, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Wow, pretty nice. That's a great price for something that holds so many DVDs and looks so nice. I might have to follow in your footsteps. How hard was it to assemble?
Don't know yet. Just ordered the thing a couple hours ago! Assembly probably has to do with the shelving incriments. Or it couldn't...just don't know.

But once I get it and set-up and then loaded with my collection, I'll post some "customer pics" of it here.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-07-04 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-07-04, 04:19 PM

In case you wanted the old thread Mike....
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398444
Old 12-07-04, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Worms
In case you wanted the old thread Mike....
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398444
Well thanks...I even did a search with the exact same thread title and it didn't come up. How'd you find it?

Anyway, this new thread will do for now, because the shelf I have pictured in this one is the one I bought as opposed to the one I have pictured in the original thread.
Old 12-07-04, 04:32 PM

No problem. I just went through my subscribed threads under user control panel.
Old 12-07-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Well thanks...I even did a search with the exact same thread title and it didn't come up. How'd you find it?
I had to do this yesterday; something is screwy with the search engine, inasmuch as posts from the past month or so don't seem to come up (or, at least, don't seem easy to find in it). So, looking for a Kubrick thread, I just set the forum for "Display Last Month" and ctrl-Fed "Kubrick" until I found the thread I needed.
Old 12-07-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, apparently my original thread was lost in the forum upgrade, so I'm resurrecting the discussion here.

Anyway, for those who participated in the original thread you may remember that I was interested in the Leslie Dame 1500 series storage rack but my father didn't really want to spend the money for it.
This is the storage unit I have, but it stores 1500 CDs, it doesn't hold nearly as many DVDs, it's advertised as holding 960 DVDs, which is wrong, it actually only holds about 600 that is if you use the very top. It's very cheap for such a nice looking unti ($180 when I bought it) so I don't know why your dad wouldn't spring for it.

That middle rack on it, is attached & cannot be moved, which sucks, b/c of it being attached, it throws off the spacing on the shelves for DVDs you would only get 6 shelvs as you have pictured, & there would be a huge gap & wast of space. .

There is a way to modify it though on your own to have it look like thism & then you get an extra shelf out of it

Last edited by Sessa17; 12-07-04 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-07-04, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sessa17
This is the storage unit I have, but it stores 1500 CDs, it doesn't hold nearly as many DVDs, it's advertised as holding 960 DVDs, which is wrong, it actually only holds about 600 that is if you use the very top. It's very cheap for such a nice looking unti ($180 when I bought it) so I don't know why your dad wouldn't spring for it.
Well yeah, Amazon advertises it as holding 612 DVDs. My collection right now is ~335 titles, but nearly 100 of them are box sets which are wider than your standard single-wide Amaray cases.

That middle rack on it, is attached & cannot be moved, which sucks, b/c of it being attached, it throws off the spacing on the shelves for DVDs you would only get 6 shelvs as you have pictured, & there would be a huge gap & wast of space.
I don't quite get this part. What do you mean, the middle part is attached? Attached to what? Oh, wait, you mean the middle shelf? Then yeah, I think I knew that from other pics of this unit I found on the Net. I think I'll probably use the very top for my Stargate sets as they're so wide that they all won't fit on a single shelf segment by themselves.

There is a way to modify it though on your own to have it look like this & then you get an extra shelf out of it
How?
Old 12-07-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I ended up going for cabinets from www.shopperinc.com, which were similar to the www.cdcabinet.com ones, but $125 cheaper per cabinet and $125 cheaper on shipping...

I figure these are going to look quite nice with a small countertop with formica that matches my tables on it. Plus, it will keep the collection nice and dust free and locked up nice and tidy - best part - wheels! there's a caddy for them, so if they need to go down the hall during a party (there's always one sticky fingered moron who wants to touch the evil dead book)...
Old 12-07-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the same unit, but only two shelves wide instead of three. There's a thread/pics on how to reposition the fixed middle shelf to make it more DVD friendly (adds capacity for another 100 DVDs on the 1500 unit).
Old 12-07-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How?
http://cseanor.home.att.net/misc/dvdrackmod.htm
Old 12-08-04, 12:29 PM
Banned

Thanks. We'll try it. In fact, we did the same thing with the cabinet I now have. It was originally just a 5 shelf cabinet and we made it into a 6 shelf one. We tried to make it a 7 shelfer, but there just wasn't enough room to get that extra one in there at the bottom, so my bottom two shelves have a lot of extra verticle space above the DVD level.
Old 12-08-04, 02:12 PM

Wow - $232 + shipping for something that only holds ~600 DVDs??

I bought 3 standard black racks (can't remember the brand) from Suncoast for about $30 (on sale) each, and they easily hold my 500+ titles. They look nice too. Best of all, if I need more space I can just go buy another rack.

There's an unlimited number or storage/display solutions out there for DVDs, CDs, etc. Personally, I think these companys that try to sell a specialty rack for hundreds of dollars are ripping people off. Just give me something inexpensive, sturdy, nice to look at, and modular - and I'm happy.
Old 12-08-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...but my father didn't really want to spend the money for it....

So after looking back on-line with dad looking over my shoulder, he decided to let me go ahead and order one the above.
Am I reading into this right? You are 31 and still live with your parents? Or did your dad just happening to be visiting or something?

Old 12-08-04, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by masetodd
I bought 3 standard black racks (can't remember the brand) from Suncoast for about $30 (on sale) each, and they easily hold my 500+ titles. They look nice too. Best of all, if I need more space I can just go buy another rack.
Do you have a pic?
Old 12-08-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The fine folks at Leslie Dame and I would have to have a discussion if I had ordered something that didn't hold what was advertised. I had this happen with me from www.thejungles.com. I ordered a case that was supposed to hold 640 DVDs, which I really wanted, but when I got it, I discovered it held much less. Not happy, I wrote their customer service dept:
After receiving my order, and after assembling it, I
came to discover that I did not get what I had
ordered.

I had ordered the following item:
http://www.thejungles.com/mulshel101.html
The Multi Media 1000B Shelf.

You advertise it as being able to hold 640 DVDs, but
the item I received only holds 432 DVDs. Rest
assured, I would not have placed this order if I knew
the unit was so small. But in further inspection of
my order, it does appear to be the shelving unit that
you have pictured; the box it comes in does accurately
state that it holds 1000 CDs and 240 VHS tapes, which
you do advertise on your page for the item. However,
the box does say that it holds only 432 DVDs.
Therefore, it is YOU who have falsely advertised the
product as having a greater capacity than it in fact
has, subsequently misleading DVD collectors into
purchasing the item on false terms.

Now, at this point since I have already put the thing
together, I am not interested in returning the
product. I want the 640 capacity unit, but you
falsely advertised it for one, so I don't even know if
such a unit exists, and also because I have already
opened all the boxes and everything, so it would be
difficult to mail back. Regardless, I don't feel I
was accurately charged for this product. I paid about
$212.00 (that does include shipping) for a shelving
unit that holds 640 DVDs. By my estimation, you owe
me a shelving unit that holds 208 DVDs, which is what
I am short with this unit. You advertise it holds
640, it in reality holds 432, so I don't have space
for 208 DVDs. You can either send me a CD-500B unit
(http://www.thejungles.com/mulshel5001.html) free of
charge (I don't expect to pay shipping either) to make
up for the space that you falsely advertised, or you
can refund me the lost money for the space you did not
provide with the unit. The unit you advertise holding
640 DVDs cost $160.00 (just rounding to the nearest
dollar to make it simpler). Since it's probably not
fair to include the shipping costs in my math, then we
can take the $160.00 unit and divide that number by
640. The cost of storage would be 25¢ per DVD. Being
shorted space of 208 DVDs by your false advertising,
that comes out to be $52.00 over charge for the unit
you falsely advertised compared to what I actually
recieved. Please send me the extra storage unit or
refund me the $52.00. Please inform me what you plan
on doing about this.

If I don't hear from you, I can and will file a
complaint with the Internet Fraud Complaint Center, as
I see you selling a unit that holds 640 DVDs and
supplying one that holds 432 a clear intent to fraud
customers. Rest assured, if I don't hear from you
after sending this email, it will not be the last you
hear of me.

As for my order number, I am sorry, I don't have this
at this time, but I do have the UPS tracking number
for the unit I purchased if it helps:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/processRequest

Also, I did order the unit with this email address
from which I am writing you, if that also helps you
find the order in your data base.
They refunded me the 52.00 pretty quick and updated their website even faster.

My shelving unit needs are met pretty cheap for now, however. They are remodling at my place of work and there are two pretty nice looking utility shelving units in the storage closet that will be thrown away, so I put my name on those. All I have to do is buy a few more shelves from Home Depot and I am good to go. I am estimating it will hold at least 1500 DVDs if not more, with the two units together. Might not be oak, but who cares! The price is right...FREE!
Old 12-08-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's another option. I bought this shelf:

http://www.storeyourmedia.com/Produc...uctid=CMA-1520

Some more info in this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370943
Old 12-08-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I know is the UPS man loves it when I order large shelving units like that.
Old 12-08-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mike...

Glad to see that you finally got shelves that you like! Box sets are indeed a pain in terms of their unequal sizes, even more so when you have to "flex" your collection.

Back in the days when I was single, I used to just add the newest DVDs to the end of what I currently had - no muss, no fuss. But then I got married, and my wife insisted that I put everything in alpha-numeric order 'cause she couldn't find anything. In my desire to involve her in my hobby I did that - and man, it changes everything!

I even have my collection split between theatrically released movies, and then everything else (TV, anime, music, etc.). With over a thousand titles it can be daunting, but I'll admit it gives me an excuse to dust and "rediscover" DVDs that would have stayed in the same spot.
Old 12-08-04, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Am I reading into this right? You are 31 and still live with your parents? Or did your dad just happening to be visiting or something?

Well, I'm glad you asked that question. This will give me an opportunity to address my life situation.

Yes, indeed I am 31, live with my folks, and am single. Hmm, "Strange." right? Well, not so fast. You see a little over 6 years ago, Oct. 2, 1998 to be exact, I had a bad car accident near St. Louis on my way to take the civil service Postal Exam. I had driven for about 2 hours to get to the exam location. I got right in front of the building, however because I was in an unfamiliar location, and looking for an address, my mind was not totally insync with everything around me. I started to make the left-hand turn into the building's parking lot across two lanes of on-coming traffic and I got hit in the front right quarter panel and passager door at about 45 mph. This sudden and massive impact gave me "side" whiplash. This whiplash broke my C6-C7 vertebrae and injured my spine. Parallyzing me. I became a quad.

This accident occured 11 days before my 25th birthday. During the year prior to this wreck, I co-rented a house with my childhood friend in town. I enjoyed the freedom emmensely. But unfortunately, with my new medical needs, I had to move back in with my folks after spending over 2 months in the hospital. We had to convert our garage into my bedroom which includes a "roll-in" shower stall and wheel-chair accessible sink.

Fortunately, my spinal injury was not a "complete" (severed) injury. Christopher Reeve's injury was a complete spinal injury. On Christmas Eve of that same year, I began to get movement back in my left leg. About a month later, I got some back in the right leg. Back in the hospital, I got movement in my arms. Unfortunately, the level of my injury affects the hands. I do not have full use of my hands. My right hand is not bad, about 60% of normal, my left hand, about 25% of normal use. I can use a computer mouse fairly normally. I can "hunt and poke" type by touch in a fairly unique way. I can do this because I had good keyboarding skills before my accident. You'd be amazed at how I do it if you saw it. I make a lot of typos, but the Backspace Key is my friend.

Anyway, getting a bit off-topic. As I said, I had to move back in because of my medical needs and I didn't have a wife to take care of me. Thank god I didn't have any kids of my own when all this happened. As I said earlier, I got movement in my legs after just 3 months after the accident. After 2+ years of physical rehab, I was able to go from wheel-chair to walking with the use of fore-arm crutches. I got my driving license renewed in 2000 and have been driving left-footed since. (Left-foot gas pedal, took a few weeks to get used to.) I tried hand controls at first...hated them. I'm currently classified as a "Tetrapallegic" - a quad with movement.

Been working here and there in temporary part-time jobs since 2001. Gonna start working for H&R Block as a tax preparer next month after taking a ~10 week course this fall. If only "Mr. Jeopardy" knew, eh?

Well, anyway, I hope all that answers your questions.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-08-04 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 03:11 PM

Wow...Mike sorry to hear about your situation. Your story reminded me of something, however. Many years ago I made an offhand comment to someone I didn't know that well. It turned out the guy had just completed chemotherapy and was (fortunately) good humored enough to take my words in stride.

It taught me to never assume you know someone's situation based on the surface facts (appearance, 2nd-hand knowledge, forum postings, etc.). Thanks for teaching us all a little humility.
Old 12-13-04, 10:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by masetodd
Wow...Mike sorry to hear about your situation. Your story reminded me of something, however. Many years ago I made an offhand comment to someone I didn't know that well. It turned out the guy had just completed chemotherapy and was (fortunately) good humored enough to take my words in stride.

It taught me to never assume you know someone's situation based on the surface facts (appearance, 2nd-hand knowledge, forum postings, etc.). Thanks for teaching us all a little humility.
Well, I was a in kind of the same situation a few years before my accident. I was in the local comic book/gaming/hobby shop and one of the "regular" customers was in there and he had no hair on his head what-so-ever...including no eyebrows or eyelashes. Jokingly, I asked him, "So how's the chemo coming?" Unbeknownst to me, he had that disease where you lose all of your body hair...permantly. So there I was with my foot in my mouth. It was strange because back when he was in HS, he had a full head of curly hair.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.