Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone find SW: KOTOR (first one) not fun?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-04, 09:58 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just that I'm not really a RPG person, but I'm not having a very fun time playing this game. I really want to like it, especially from all the good things I've heard about it. Right now though, I just find it boring. Any thoughts, or am I crazy?
Old 12-07-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FREAK!
Old 12-07-04, 10:06 AM

I also did not like this game. I couldn't get into the combat. To me, it felt like i wasn't really controlling it. I did love the people it the game that you would come across from the movies though. I also hated the other guy that stayed with you and was always feeling like something was bothering him. How many times do I have to ask this pansy whats bothering him. Can't I just kill him and end his suffering. With all that said, I might give it another try now that its only 20$.
Old 12-07-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To each his own.I rarely play anything new but sports titles. KOTOR was the exception.I really enjoyed it and look forward to the sequel.
Old 12-07-04, 10:35 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly this game (and probably the sequel) is not for everyone.

To really get the most out of it you should like RPG's and be able to appreciate a fine level of detail. You really have to keep the storyline in mind while you are playing.

Yes, you are supposed to ask people questions etc.. but this is what makes the game so rich and rewarding as you play it. You dont have to emotionally bond with each character but it will help you to understand what makes them tick. Lots of detail was put into practically every character you interact with. If you stick with it, the reward is great: I found the plot in this game to be better than most of the Star Wars movies.

You do need a level of maturity too. Not saying you have to play some moral self-righteous jedi master--you can be evil and follow the dark path and many have found it quite rewarding--But this game isnt just a 'destroy all the monsters to advance to the next level' kind of game. If you dont enjoy the process of advancing a story with your actions, you would probably enjoy Halo or something along those lines much more.

One of my best friends is a total Star Wars nut, heavy into all the action figures and comic books etc...

I gave him my copy of KOTOR when I beat it. I thought he would love it more than me. But as it turns out he can barely get used to picking up items and organizing his party to go exploring. Hes really not getting in to it. I think he has issues with a short attention span or something. He enjoyed Jedi Outcast MUCH better.

Its just not his type of game.

If you find you cant really get into this game, its probably not for you. This game got some of the best reviews of any RPG for a reason, but not everyone can break thru whatever barrier keeps them from enjoying it.
Old 12-07-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I think this exact topic was posted before. Anyway, I played about 4 hours and just couldn't get into it. All I did for 4 hours was talk to people. I heard it gets better aft..zzzzzzzzz....

I need to go back to it, but my stack of non-played games is ridiculous. I'd rather not start over and have to go through those 4 hours again. Then again, I was playing the light side path, which I read is longer and more difficult. Maybe I should go back and rule the universe as a Sith.
Old 12-07-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
While it did seem to drag in some places, I loved it! However, I don't think that it has tremendous re-playability value (despite the light side/dark side options which are pretty self evident and really don't alter the game that much). I tried to play it a second time and found myself just going through the motions that I learned the first time.

That said, I typically play sports games as well. I find the "kill all monsters and advance" games to entertaining . . . for about five minutes.
Old 12-07-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it dragged a bit on Taris, but I had fun with it, so did my brother. And we're definately not RPG fans. I'll probably get KOTOR2 when the price drops a bit (right now GTA:SA and HL2 are talking most of my free time).

birrman54
Old 12-07-04, 11:19 AM

To really get the most out of it you should like RPG's and be able to appreciate a fine level of detail. You really have to keep the storyline in mind while you are playing.

Yes, you are supposed to ask people questions etc.. but this is what makes the game so rich and rewarding as you play it. You dont have to emotionally bond with each character but it will help you to understand what makes them tick. Lots of detail was put into practically every character you interact with. If you stick with it, the reward is great: I found the plot in this game to be better than most of the Star Wars movies.

You do need a level of maturity too. Not saying you have to play some moral self-righteous jedi master--you can be evil and follow the dark path and many have found it quite rewarding--But this game isnt just a 'destroy all the monsters to advance to the next level' kind of game. If you dont enjoy the process of advancing a story with your actions, you would probably enjoy Halo or something along those lines much more.

Just in case you were refering to my post, and no, I do not want to start a pissing match, but, I love RPG's and I would put them at the top of my favorite type of games. As for the games fine level of detail, I did love that aspect of the game. I love detail in games, I'M AN ART TEACHER for crying out loud. Detail is my thing. Alot of what makes the Final Fantasy, Prince of Persia, Halo, and Riddick games so good is their art direction and fine story telling. As for my level of Maturity and anyone else who didn't like this game, I'm sure were just fine. I'm 31 with a wife and new born. I may be going a little insane but my maturity level is on par. OK, enough of my ranting.
Old 12-07-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Well count me in as one of the few who didn't like it. It just wasn't all that fun to me. I made it to right after the spot where you get a lightsaber, I think. If found the combat to be more of a chore than anything.
Old 12-07-04, 11:52 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

yea its defintely not for everyone. Some parts are slow and the combat is turn based which I really liked especially for the hard battles.
Old 12-07-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The first planet is dull and you have to stick with it - it gets really good later... but yeah, the first few hours are boring.
Old 12-07-04, 12:12 PM
Cool New Member

Ok, I'll stick it out. Right now I just entered the undercity of Taris with the Rakghouls. Not terribly interesting gameplay at the moment.
Old 12-07-04, 12:23 PM
Retired

I loved it, but mainly just for the awesome job they did with the story and the SW atmosphere.

The actually gameplay didn't excite me too much, as I'm not a big fan of the "american" type of RPG's. I'd like it much more if it had been the same story, but with "japanese" rpg gameplay.
Old 12-07-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
The first planet is dull and you have to stick with it - it gets really good later... but yeah, the first few hours are boring.
I agree. On Taris you have no Jedi for most of it, your skills are still pretty weak, and Carth won't stop crying about things ....

The story and fun really pick up when you leave that planet IMO.
Old 12-07-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a huge Star Wars nut, but I LOVED this game. I got sucked into it right away.
Old 12-07-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I also loved how open ended it was.

<--went to the dark side.
Old 12-07-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had never played an RPG before. THis game sucked about 30 hours of my time. I am only like 1/3 of the way through, also.
Old 12-07-04, 01:17 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I had never played an RPG before. THis game sucked about 30 hours of my time. I am only like 1/3 of the way through, also.
Does this mean its good or bad lol
Old 12-07-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I usually don't like RPG's but I really love KOTOR. I bought an X-Box about 2 weeks ago just for that game and its been well worth it. Getting close to finishing it out hopefully soon, can't wait to get KOTOR 2.

i guess it also helps if you really enjoy anything Star Wars.
Old 12-07-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I'm another one who didn't really care for it.The RPG combat just didn't do it for me.The Jedi Knight series is more to my liking.
Old 12-07-04, 07:32 PM

Mark me down as not enjoying it either. I've never enjoyed RPG's, I just can't get into them, and this one was no different.
Old 12-07-04, 07:50 PM

I hated it so much I played it through 3 times and I hate it that much more.

I know that I will completely loathe KOTOR2
Old 12-07-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I've always hated RPG's but for some reason I bought KOTOR I. At first I hated it! I never liked the "buying shit to upgrade", "walk around for hours to trigger conversations", and the little characters onscreen then big charcters only for battles" aspect of RPG's. But after I put in the time and patience with this game and suddenly it became one of my favorite XBOX games. Mind you, I still haven't finsihed KOTOR because I keep getting my ass kicked fighting the last villian. But I still like it a lot.

But don't get me wrong,with the exception of the KOTOR series I still HATE RPG's.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-08-04 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-07-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it started out a bit slow, but I was fairly involved in the plot and stuck it out - by the time you become a Jedi, I was hooked and couldn't put it down. But there is some micro-management involved with leveling up and equipment, so I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's bag.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.