Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

LCD vs. RP LCD

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCD vs. RP LCD

Hello,

Been lurking for a few years and I finally have something to post.

I'm in the market for a television and I've been reading up on plasma, DLP, and LCD. Lifespan and burn-in are two major concerns of mine. First of all, the wife isn't going to let me drop 2 - 3 grand on a television again in the next 15 years, so this needs to count. Second, I play a lot of sports games on my Xbox, so burn-in is a factor.

I've pretty much ruled out plasma and flat-panel LCD. Plasma's are too volatile for my tastes, and flat-panel LCDs aren't available in large enough sizes (looking for 46" - 50") at an affordable price.

So, that leaves me with DLP and RP LCD. The only thing is, I can't find any information on RP LCDs. When I try to look up on the subject, I can only find data on flat-panels.

That said, can someone point me to some good reading on RP LCDs? I'm interested in their advantages and disadvantages, especially compared to DLP.

I also have an HDTV question: If I have an HDTV monitor, do I need the $400 HDTV receiver to receive HDTV channels over cable? Am I correct to assume that I only need the HDTV receiver if I want to pick up actual HDTV broadcasts (via satellite, etc)?

TIA,
Apostle
Old 12-06-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I can answer your last question. If the TV that you eventually choose doesn't have a HD tuner built in, you will need to buy a set top box (and antenna) that will receive the signals for you. Now if you have DirecTv for instance, there are receivers that have the capability to receive the DirecTV HD signals and also locals w/ the addition of an antenna.