Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who are today's MEGA SUPERSTAR actors?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who are today's MEGA SUPERSTAR actors?
Jim Carrey
36.11%
George Clooney
15.28%
Tom Cruise
73.61%
Matt Damon
19.44%
Tom Hanks
58.33%
Brad Pitt
47.22%
Will Smith
34.72%
Denzel Washington
33.33%
Other (list names in the thread)
12.50%
Twickoff
9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-04, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As per the thread questioning Leonardo DiCaprio's "MEGA SUPERSTAR"-ness, I submit the query:

Who in the acting world are today's "MEGA SUPERSTARS"?

I don't really have a good definition for a MS, but I guess I could start w/ this scenario at a video rental store:
"What's the movie about?"
"It's about __________" (fill in some plotline that sounds contrived, boring, uninteresting, etc. to you...)
"Nah, I think I'll pass."
"It has _________ in it, though..." (fill in an actor listed above)
"Hmmmm... yeah ok, let's give it a try."

Of course, there are a lot of fringe actors that would fit this qualification for me as well. Maybe we can also include box office clout as part of the criteria. And, for that matter, whatever else you want to include in your definition of a MS.

Also, just to have some rules, we'll limit this to actors (actresses can be in another thread, if this goes well I suppose). Remember, this is *right now*. No Schwarzenegger anymore...

Due to the very limited number of poll options, I had to leave off a number of names that I originally wanted to include:
Ben Affleck
Nicolas Cage
Russell Crowe
Samuel L. Jackson
Jude Law
Bill Murray
Mike Myers
Keanu Reeves
Kevin Spacey
Adam Sandler
Ben Stiller

Also, some people who used to probably be MSs, but may have faded a bit:
Robert De Niro
Harrison Ford
Mel Gibson
Al Pacino
John Travolta
Bruce Willis

I personally don't think anyone other than maybe Hanks and Cruise has reached where Schwarzenegger used to be when I was a kid (I'm 24). I guess to make this thread more interesting, I'm curious to know about actors who used to be MSs in the past, when that was, examples, etc., etc., etc...

Last edited by Hoonster; 12-06-04 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
There are very few actors that I think can actually pull in a sizable audience for a film. My list would star with:

Tom Hanks
Tom Cruise

although neither are guarantees of box office if you get too off-mainstream. With in certain genres I would also throw out:

Comedy:
Adam Sandler
Jim Carrey

Not sure if I'd go much farther then that though

Last edited by Jericho; 12-06-04 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
There are very few actors that I think can actually pull in a sizable audience for a film. My list would star with:

Tom Hanks
Tom Cruise

although neither are guarantees of box office if you get to off-mainstream. With in ceratin genres I would also through out:

Comedy:
Adam Sandler
Jim Carrey

Not sure if I'd go much farther then that though

I agree. I wouldn't put Brad Pitt or George Clooney on that list. Here's a few reasons: George Clooney still has yet to carry his own movie and he's not that great of an actor. Brad Pitt while he has a better resume and better acting skills than Clooney, he too has yet to carry his own movie as well. I would add Johnny Depp to the list as he is becoming the quintessential actor. He has the acting chops of Tom Hanks and the appeal of Tom Cruise.

Again that's just my opinion.
Old 12-06-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyway I think there is one actor in a league of his own & that is Tom Cruise. Box office gross, world-wide name recognition, pull in Hollywood, international fame, he is on another level. I know people here hate him, but that doesn't change the fact that he is the biggest star in Hollywood.

I think the only true mega-star actors at this moment are:

1. Mel Gibson
2. Tom Hanks
3. Brad Pitt - I know his BO gross isn't that high, but I don't think that is all that makes a mega-star & the paparazzi goes more nuts for him then over anyone, even Tom Cruise, that is why I put him here.
3. Denzel Washington - Borderline.
5. Leo Di Crapio
6. Jim Carrey

I'm not a big fan of any of those people, but I think those 6 get the most exposure, worldwide & have their pick at anything they could every want to do. The main qualification to me, is they bring instant world wide credibility & publicity to anything they do.

There are others that are a step or 2 below "mega-star".

Bruce Willis - I think he has faded some.
Harrison Ford- Same thing.
Clooney - He wants to be there but I don't think he ever really had a bonafide mega-blockbuster that he was the main attraction for.
Johnny Depp - Coming off of the biggest success of his career at his most popular, his follow-up 2 movies show he just isn't enough star-power on his own to turn a movie into a BO blockbuster.
Russell Crowe - I think he is REALLY close, he does bring a huge audience to his films, plus critics love him, plus the press loves him. Any studio would kill to have him headline their picture.

Last edited by Sessa17; 12-06-04 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think its really hard to call Depp a megastar. Although he's a fine actor and has become quite popular recently, he hasn't had much box office success outside of PotC. Granted a lot of that is by his own choice. He's done many offbeat and quasi-independent movies. Maybe his movies will garner more in the future, but I think his choice of roles will prevent that.

In many ways, DiCaprio is the same as Depp. Outside of Titanic and Catch me if you Can, he's not exactly swimming in success. And Catch me if you Can had both Hanks and Speilberg also attached. DiCaprio seems to go for less mainstream roles too, although he's had more success than Depp thus far.
Old 12-06-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I should probably also add Mel Gibson to my list upon reflection. I did over look him
Old 12-06-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tom Hanks
Tom Cruise
Brad Pitt
George Clooney
Old 12-06-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, you've got degrees. Tom Cruise is really the top of the heap, the biggest type of star possible. Only Hanks, Gibson really come close. Sandler and Carrey when in comedy are gold, and Will Smith is a hugely bankable star also, again given the right movie (action movies for Smith really).

People like Brad Pitt, DiCaprio are definite big stars and worth anchoring movies around. But in truth much of their appeal relies a lot on foreign markets, as their stardom is even stronger overseas.

Julia Roberts should be added to the list, as she's pretty much the biggest female star out there.

Then there's myriads of stars that are big given the right films...Nicolas Cage, Russell Crowe, Bruce Willis, Harrison Ford. Basically we're talking about people who can open a movie and have people watch it just cause of him. in general though, I'd say Cruise is at the top of that heap.
Old 12-06-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I forgot Will Smith he is definitely a "mega-star" I don't even think that can be debated & I can't stand the guy. Top rated TV show, #1 album, a string of #1 movies, has any actor ever done that before.

we are talking the biggest box office draw here, to me "mega" means international fame the most, that is why I think Leo & Pitt make the list, they are HUGE over seas, they draw press & attention like few people do.
Old 12-06-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
Anyway I think there is one actor in a league of his own & that is Tom Cruise. Box office gross, world-wide name recognition, pull in Hollywood, international fame, he is on another level. I know people here hate him, but that doesn't change the fact that he is the biggest star in Hollywood.
Definitely. My only vote on this poll.
Old 12-06-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I voted Tom Cruise, he even took Vanilla Sky to 100 million domestic gross.

I think he may be fading a bit though, and I think the Nicole Kidman divorce hurt him too (my wife won't really see his movies since). I think he's aware that he's in danger of fading, and that he's lost some of his appeal (especially with women), so I'm sure he'll take steps to stop it (for example by playing a bad guy in Collateral)--so far, most of his moves have tended to be pretty shrewd, which is I think why he's lasted so long.
Old 12-06-04, 11:42 PM

I voted Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks.
Old 12-07-04, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ginwen

I think he may be fading a bit though, and I think the Nicole Kidman divorce hurt him too (my wife won't really see his movies since). I think he's aware that he's in danger of fading, and that he's lost some of his appeal (especially with women), so I'm sure he'll take steps to stop it (for example by playing a bad guy in Collateral)--so far, most of his moves have tended to be pretty shrewd, which is I think why he's lasted so long.
Fading? Naa, he's still got a ton of box office clout. Since year 2000, the year of MI2, his biggest grossing movie ever, he's had three films come out. All three have grossed 100 million in the US plus, and internationally they were all fairly successful (especially Last Samurai). Granted, MR didn't become the mega blockbuster some thought, but it was still big.

With War of the Worlds, he'll probably have his biggest grossing movie ever. Followed by another film that's sure to be one of his biggest grossers ever, MI3. And I mean...he took Vanilla Sky to 100 million...I find that impressive. Tom Cruise hasn't really gone anywhere, he's still as big as ever.
Old 12-07-04, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
Top of the list

Tom Hanks
Tom Cruise
Elijah Wood- thanks mostly to LOTR
Pierce Brosnan- he may be done with Bonds but he's still huge!!!!!!!
Samuel L. Jackson- amazed he isn't listed
Gene Hackman- will always be a Mega Star in my book
Sean Connery- brilliant actor, can be serious or funny and anywhere in between

on that next level just below Mega star

John Travolta
Mell Gibson
Harrison Ford- once was the ginat of hollywood,but Indy 4 could boost him back to Mega star or droop him down a notch but I'm confident it'll help him
Ben Stiller
Matt Damon
Brad Pitt
Bill Murray- still great but needs to go back to comedies only
John Wayne-probably the only actor who could be on this list while DEAD
Michael J Fox- falling off somewhat if healthy he'd be a borderline Mega star
Eddie Murphy- please make a good movie again before I take you off the list!!!!!!
Bruce Willis
Old 12-07-04, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Top of the list
Elijah Wood? Really? Although I bet most mainstream film fans might be able to recognize him as a hobbit, I kinda doubt most know his name. Not exactly MS-quality to me.

Pierce Brosnan? His highest non-Bond grossing films are Thomas Crown ($69M) and Dante's Peak ($67M), both over five years ago. (I'm not counting Mrs. Doubtfire, as not many went to see that movie for Pierce).

And I did list Sam Jackson in my original post. There just wasn't enough room in the poll (max of 10 options... really 8, b/c I needed one for Twickoff and Other). He was one of my last cuts.
Old 12-07-04, 06:24 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoonster
As per the thread questioning Leonardo DiCaprio's "MEGA SUPERSTAR"-ness, I submit the query:
I don't understand, you submit his name in the query, but you leave him off the poll. Why?
Old 12-07-04, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted Brad Pitt. He's really the only one on that list that would make me see a movie if I wasn't interested in it otherwise. Pitt may not bring in the box office like others, but I find he has a good eye for projects and he isn't afraid of taking risks.
Old 12-07-04, 08:37 AM

Can't believe no one has mentioned Julia Roberts, she is really the only female actress that is 90% garunteed to provide a hit (although she has stumbled a bit in the last year with Full Frontal and Mona Lisa Smile).

As for men definitely Tom Hanks but he also seems to be having an off year box office wise (I love the Coen's but they have never been a money making machine).
Old 12-07-04, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
I don't understand, you submit his name in the query, but you leave him off the poll. Why?
Simple. I don't consisder him one. Besides Titanic, what else has he done that really drove people to the theaters? It's all well debated in the other thread, but I'm in the "non-MS" boat.
Old 12-07-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Top of the list

Gene Hackman- will always be a Mega Star in my book
Sean Connery- brilliant actor, can be serious or funny and anywhere in between

on that next level just below Mega star
Are you joking? You think Elijah Wood is a bigger star than Mel Gibson? That is insane, even w/ LOTR he is a border line nobody, the average joe has ever heard of him, & he could never carry a movie on his own. He isn't even A-list, & LOTR was NOT a success b/c of Elijah Wood.

Pierce Brosnan is not a BO draw at all, After the Sunset Proves that. "MEGA-Stars" have their commande over any script or project they want, no studio would turn them down & Prosnan does not have close to that power.

Hackman - One of the greatest actors of all-time no doubt, but not even close to a mega-star & wayyyyyyy past his prime.

Connery - See Hackman, but without the range. An icon yes, a modern mega-star & box office draw, no way.

Samuel Jackosn - Not by a long shot, if you make a film with your friends & gave him a call you could probably get him to be in your movie. The guy can't turn down a script & he is not a box office draw, nor tabloid material.
Old 12-07-04, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by DrStrangeL0ve71
Can't believe no one has mentioned Julia Roberts, she is really the only female actress that is 90% garunteed to provide a hit (although she has stumbled a bit in the last year with Full Frontal and Mona Lisa Smile).
Hey now, you musta not read my post.

And Leo is a star. Look at the publicity he gets, and just look at the four films he's released since then. Each one has grossed at least 150 million worldwide, while in the last year he's had three films even bigger than that. GoNY did ok, Catch Me If You Can was huge (171 million US alone? You don't call that a hit?) and now The Aviator, which seems posed to perform quite well with the reviews it's getting.

What a lot of people seem to forget is that the reason Leo does not have a ton of box office hits is because he went on a self imposed exile. Post Titanic, he's really only made 4 films where he was the star. Hell, he wasn't really even the star in Man in the Iron Mask. And quite frankly, with all the attention and popularity and power he has (not to mention box office grosses) he's a big star. Only now is he capitilizing on the success of Titanic, and so far he's stilll got the clout. Just look at his numbers, and look what's coming next...saying he's not a star is crazy.
Old 12-07-04, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
And Leo is a star. Look at the publicity he gets, and just look at the four films he's released since then. Each one has grossed at least 150 million worldwide, while in the last year he's had three films even bigger than that. GoNY did ok, Catch Me If You Can was huge (171 million US alone? You don't call that a hit?) and now The Aviator, which seems posed to perform quite well with the reviews it's getting.
GoNY did $78M and had Scorsese as the director. I know I went to see that movie b/c of Scorsese and not b/c of DiCaprio. Either way, I still don't consider it a MS-esque hit, even if the director had nothing to do with it.

Catch me if You Can? I'd chalk up a large portion of that gross to Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg (mostly Tom Hanks).

Worldwide grosses of $150M+? I would think a MS could scrape that up domestically alone. At least the ones I voted for in the poll have shown that ability at least a few times (Hanks, Cruise, Carrey, Smith). To me, a worlwide gross of $200M or probably even $250M would be "required" for my criteria...

The Aviator is probably a pretty good test of DiCaprio's MS-ness (although, it is Scorsese again, but Leo is carrying this movie pretty much by himself this time). However, unless it opens HUGE, I don't think it would be good enough to make him a MS to me. We'll see.
Old 12-07-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
It stops with Cruise and Hanks, with Gibson and Roberts right behind.
Old 12-07-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tommyp007
It stops with Cruise and Hanks, with Gibson and Roberts right behind.
Gibson is even bigger than Hanks, he is the only person that rivals Cruise. He has just as many if not more 100+ movies than Hanks, Oscar gold as well, & as an actor he crosses over into more genres than Hanks & does them all amazingly, & most importantly what he did with POTC, is one of the most phenomenal grosses & feets in the history of the film industry. You can easily make a case that he is the single most powerful person in all of Hollywood. Gibson is the very definition of the "mega-star".
Old 12-07-04, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Gibson is even bigger than Hanks, he is the only person that rivals Cruise. He has just as many if not more 100+ movies than Hanks, Oscar gold as well, & as an actor he crosses over into more genres than Hanks & does them all amazingly, & most importantly what he did with POTC, is one of the most phenomenal grosses & feets in the history of the film industry. You can easily make a case that he is the single most powerful person in all of Hollywood. Gibson is the very definition of the "mega-star".
I agree with that. Despite the fact only his hand makes an appearance in the film, Gibson's fame and status was a major part in the success of that film (beyond the fact he paid for it). Before PotC, he had his biggest hits of his careers for films he starred in with Signs and What Women Want. So, can't argue with Gibson really.

Though I'm still angry Mad Max 4 got dumped. Grr Gibson, make that movie!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.