Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that deserve a second chance

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With so many movies are being made every year, there can be quite a few that slip past our individual radars, whether because of bad/no word of mouth or poor advertising, etc.

Older or newer, what are some less popular/visible movies that you would recommend others checking out and giving a second chance?

I'll start with one, Sphere. This got some so-so to bad reviews when it first came out, but watching it again the other day on DVD, I was pleasantly surprised by it. I enjoyed all the actors in it, and while the story was similar to some other sci-fi movies (Event Horizon), I didn't think it was as bad as I recall hearing.
Old 12-06-04, 03:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by Rivero; 12-07-04 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simone.

No, seriously.
Old 12-06-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
These are all movies that I have recommended lately to family/friends that most likely flew under their radar:

Last edited by B.A.; 12-06-04 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-06-04, 08:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Gangs of NY

When I first saw it in the theatres, I thought it was mediocre, at best. I re-watched it a couple weeks back and now think it is just short of brilliant.

Pale Rider

When I first saw it several years back, I took it as a lame rip-off of Shane. I re-watched it recently and viewed it in an entirely different light and now view it as one of Clint's best-directed films.

Last edited by Geofferson; 12-06-04 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-06-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Gangs of NY

When I first saw it in the theatres, I thought it was mediocre, at best. I re-watched it a couple weeks back and now think it is just short of brilliant.

Really? I despised it when I saw it. It had some great cinematography and art direction, but other than that it was a total wash for me. I would have never thought to give this one a second chance.

I submit I, Robot to the table. It gets trashed on this forum. Alex Proyas is a brilliant director who turned in another excellent film in I, Robot. Will Smith provides a solid performance unlike his other smart mouthed cookie cutter roles. I thought it was one of the best of the year.
Old 12-06-04, 03:03 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-06-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Having read Sphere I can never give that movie another chance. I agree with Eternal Sunshine that movie was way better the 2nd and 3rd viewings. In America and 25th Hour I thought were great upon first viewings.
Old 12-06-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Play It To The Bone (with Antonio Banderas and Woody Harrelson, a great little movie with a good supporting cast that seemed to fall right into obscurity)
Stanley & Iris (DeNiro and Fonda- okay, Jane looks a little too good to be a blue collar worker but I thought they both gave great performaces)
Old 12-06-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mission Impossible 2

I know, I know, but I just watched that and Face/Off recently (on a Woo kick) and while I still think Face/Off blows, I think MI:2 is beautifully shot and just very entertaining. It certainly is not even the same type of movie as Mission Impossible, but I love it nonethless. Plus TomCruise is so seckszy.

Last edited by drjay; 12-06-04 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, Rivero has a hard-on for films released by 20th Century Fox. I do have to agree with his three choices (especially Solaris). To throw another film into that hard-on, I would say Shock Treatment (yes, the sequel to Rocky Horror Picture Show). While still not a good movie by any means, the film was two decades ahead of it's time by it's satire on television by playing and making fun of "reality television" (which at the time wasn't in existance as it is today).

I would like to just to say, once again, the film isn't good by any means; but it's at least worth a second look in today's pop-culture love fest society.

I'd also agree on Eternal Sunshine, The 25th Hour (Lee's strongest effort in over a decade), and In America. In addition to Lee's The 25th Hour, I'd list Bamboozled which was a film with a fantastic first half, but a less than stellar second half. YMMV on that one.

Run Lola Run director Tom Twyker directed two brilliant films after that hit, The Princess and the Warrior and Heaven, but both are completely overlooked and underrated.

To the person who said Simone, I'd agree with you; only if the film had a better (and darker) ending. It was no Gattaca, but what can be?

I submit I, Robot to the table. It gets trashed on this forum. Alex Proyas is a brilliant director who turned in another excellent film in I, Robot. Will Smith provides a solid performance unlike his other smart mouthed cookie cutter roles. I thought it was one of the best of the year.
No. I, Robot was a terrible film. Alex Proyas, while being a fantastic director, brought nothing to the table. It also didn't help that the screenplay was fucking terrible and everybody in the film phoned in their preformance. If I wanted to watch the film again, I'd put in my DVD copy of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. Almost the same exact film, but more entertaining and I don't have to cry after watching it for the fact that Proyas almost ruined his entire career with that piece of shit. He needs to do another Crow or Dark City (Christ, I'd even take another Garage Days from him), not another blockbuster summer tentpole of a film. If he's going to do one through, I'd prefer him to write it himself, not Avika "********er" Goldsman.

P.S. Sphere sucked, as did Event Horizon. But Solaris (both the Russian and American version) rules.
Old 12-06-04, 05:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
"Daredevil"...I really can't understand all the hate for this one! DC or TC it's all good!
Old 12-06-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598
"Daredevil"...I really can't understand all the hate for this one! DC or TC it's all good!
The hatred must be a Ben Affleck thing.
Old 12-06-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Star Wars Prequels.
Old 12-06-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Seems people are listing both movies that didn't get enough attention in the box office, and movies that should be watched again and re-evaluated. That said, i agree with Daredevil and I, Robot. Loved both of them. I, Robot, in particular, surprised me with how entertained i was throughout the film.
Old 12-06-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shade. A clever, fun, well-made film in the card-playing/grifter/con artist genre (so to speak) that basically got no attention at all.
Old 12-06-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shade. A clever, fun, well-made film in the card-playing/grifter/con artist genre (so to speak) that basically got no attention at all.
Nice choice. If we're going to be talking about films that deserved a theatrical release that ended up going direct-to-video, I'll throw out the Seann William Scott black comedy/action heist film Stark Raving Mad.
Old 12-06-04, 08:15 PM

Most recently...

Old 12-06-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
She wore Bluuuuuuueeeee Veeeelvet la la la la.

HATED IT. DESPISED IT. Lots do. But now I LOVE IT. Lots do. Perfect example.

I think it has something to do with watching Fire Walk With Me, and some other Lynch stuff. I was 16, it was my first Lynch movie, wasn't familiar with the man (other than owning Lost Highway soundtrack), and I was totally wierded out.

I hadn't watched Daredevil until the director's cut. But I really liked it! It did indeed have a slight direct-to-video feel. But it was certainly a lot of fun. The final fight sprinkler scene was most excellent. Dark, quiet, and sincere; I LIKED IT. The Daredevil POV stuff was interesting too.
Old 12-06-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Birth deserves a 2nd chance that's like saying Alexander deserves another chance.
Old 12-06-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Birth deserves a 2nd chance that's like saying Alexander deserves another chance.
I will be giving Birth a second chance when it hits on DVD. Maybe I was expecting another Sexy Beast, but can't hurt to see it one more time...
Old 12-06-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
I loved this movie! I don't get it why people hate it.
Old 12-06-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Another often over-looked favorite of mine:

Old 12-06-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Love that Red-X movie. Try hosting the image somewhere else, like imageshack.us, instead of direct linking.
Old 12-07-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Just a couple of comments:

I absolutely hated Gangs of New York. I can appreciate the cinematography and some of the performances but overall the movie just left a really bad taste in my mouth. I can't really describe it beyond that just personal opinion I guess.

I just watched I Robot and have to say that that was a really good movie. It totally surprised me how it managed to provide really good action but also a pretty decent plot. A perfect summer flick. I would have watched it sooner had I known it was that good.

My vote for second chance would be The Cider House Rules This was a beautiful movie both cinematically and musically. The story was just a great story that dealt with so many different aspects of life in general. Very touching movie and one of my favorites.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.