Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What's the word on Tribes: Vengeance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the word on Tribes: Vengeance?

Anyone try this? Is it good? Is anyone still playing it?

- David Stein
Old 12-05-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm kinda wondering too. The previews looked like a LOT of fun. And it's the kind of FPS I like too - nice wide big open spaces. The reviews I've seen online though have been only lukewarm to bad. Haven't seen anyone actually rave about it. Not sure why since I can't imagine that they could've screwed up gameplay in anyway seeing as how Tribes 1 was such a hit.
Old 12-05-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Tribes 1 was incredible. The massive, open levels, the awesome jetpack, the really neat maps with rain and vehicles and inventory stations... My only complaint was that I hated the weapon balance - never could throw a Spinfusor with the accuracy of most players - but the rest of it rocked.

Tribes 2 was like a cheap knockoff... graphics improved, but the rest of it felt kludgy, kind of like Counter-Strike. Same weapons, lousy maps. I actually got bored with it in a hurry.

As for Tribes Vengeance getting bad reviews - well, Gamespot (which I kind of trust) gave it an 8.8, a very good score.

- David Stein
Old 12-05-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think part of the problem is HL2 came out and soaked up all the attention. If this was a great game, I sure wouldn't know about it...
Old 12-05-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tribes 1 was just amazing, I loved it! Jetpacks, vehicles and fortifying bases! I haven't played a game like that since '99!
Old 12-05-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well, i should modify what i said. maybe it didn't really get bad reviews. it's just that it didn't seem to generate much excitement in the video gamer community. to me, that's a bad sign. but you're right: gamespot is usually pretty hard on games and they liked it. anyhow, with steam, i have too many games to play as it is. don't think i have time for T:V. i need 4 more hours in my day.
Old 12-06-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read a review in Computer Gaming World. IIRC, they liked it but didn't recommend it for Tribes newbies. Basically, if you're a Tribes fan, you'll like this for online play (the single player is weak according to the review).

They did point out that this isn't the game for newbies to jump into online FPS games with.
Old 12-07-04, 09:33 AM
Cool New Member

I'm waiting a little while for them to work out any bugs. I remember when T2 came out, I bought it first day. There were a ton of problems with online play. They were releasing a patch a day. It took about 3-4 months before the majority of them were worked out. Of course T2 was rushed out. Not sure of they took their time with this one.

Tribes is probably my all time fav game. T2 had its moments but wasn't close to the greatness of the original.
Hopefully T:V will come through. I'm getting it regardless of reviews.
Old 12-07-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
As a Tribes and Tribes2 maniac, I have to defend T2. Once the bugs got worked out and the best servers got set up (Houston Vehicles, LOD, |MA|, etc) T2 became the pinnacle of online play for me and my buds. We were hardcore for about a year. Alas, now that everyone has moved on to newer games, I'm the only active member of my clan left.

Anyhow, based on the demo, I'm not excited about it, but I will probably get it anyway.