Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

THX Optimode tests

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-04, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THX Optimode tests

On some DVD's there is an extra called THX Optimode tests. Is this something that can be used for calibrating video, or is it just audio? How good of a job does it do?

I went to a DVD store yesterday and the AVIA calibration DVD was $50. I gasped. I then left the store, certain my eyes are as good as the calibration tools. But at $20 I could be wrong.
Old 12-04-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I'm sure AVIA is better for the really high-end systems, the THX Optimode is still an excellent tool for calibrating regular systems.
Old 12-04-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a few things about the THS Optimode tests that are lacking. One is that the video tests on that disk is for that disc only. It will still help you adjust your set better than your eyes can on their own but when you view another disc you might find that the settings need to be adjusted further. The second is that Avia comes with color filters for red, green and blue that are needed to check and adjust you color, tint and color decoder. The THX Optimode test need these also but you'll need to call THX and order them for a nominal fee. Without these filters all you can do with THX is contrast and brightness along with sharpness so your color will be off. Only you can determine if the price of Avia is worth it but most people that own it say it's their most used disc so $50 is worth it to them. You can always buy Avia's little brother, the S&V Home Theater Tune Up disc, it's cheaper and gives you most of what you need to get started. It's lacking the more advanced test screens you'll need if you venture into the service menus but for the basic user settings it gets the job done.
Old 12-04-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The THX Optimizer is better than nothing but I intend to spring for either Avia or the DVE disc for calibrating my set.
As for the additional filter glasses they can be had for $2 by ordering at the THX website; I got mine in about a week.
Old 12-04-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Digital Video Essential or the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up both retail for less than $20. They are both excellent discs, and there is no reason to not own one of them.

THX Optimode is flawed in its implementation, and really can't be trusted.