Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wall Mount a Heavy TV?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Wall Mount a Heavy TV?

Old 12-02-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wall Mount a Heavy TV?

I have a 27" Sony Wega that I would like to put on a wall mount in my home office. I want it up high so I can look up over my monitor to see it (my desk faces a wall). The problem is the TV is over 100 lbs and I don't know if a stud would hold the mount for that. Does anybody have any suggestions on this?
Old 12-02-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally would not trust a single stud with a 100lbs load. Unless you could figure out a way to spread the load across at least two studs I would get some type of cabinet or shelf with legs directly under the tv.

Good luck

After thinking about it for a second there is another way. Do you have access to the rafters above where the tv will go? If so you could get some cable and support the front of the tv mount by connecting the cables to the rafters. That should lessen the force on the single stud. Just an idea....

Last edited by cajun_junky; 12-02-04 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-02-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the studs are 16" apart I think, maybe I could find one that would span two studs. I would feel more comfortable that way, for some reason I just don't see a single stud holding the TV (even though the mounts say they can hold 150 lbs or whatever).