Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any downside to selling my old PS2 to get the new slim version?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-04, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new slim PS2 is really attractive and saves so much space. It also comes with the modem and network adapter. Are there any downside to me selling my old PS2 for this new one? I know supplies are slim this Xmas for the slim PS2s but let's say that is not a factor.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you play Final Fantasy XI? Then yes. Big downside.

Otherwise, no.
Old 12-02-04, 08:08 AM

What will you do with all that newfound space?

If it ain't broke.
Old 12-02-04, 09:01 AM

No, I don't play FF, so it's not a problem for me.
As for space, right now I cannot fit the current on in the tiny space I have under the TV. With this new one I can.
Old 12-02-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 914 Likes on 674 Posts
One thing to remember though. The new one has a flip top lid to put discs in so you'll need space above it to allow the lid to open. The older model had the nice pull out tray.
Old 12-02-04, 10:37 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be sticking to my old one. With the new PS3 coming out, I can't see why its worth changing.
Old 12-02-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep the old one and install a hard-drive with HDloader. Even if you don't download games it's nice to install all your games on a drive that loads around 5 times as fast.
Old 12-02-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Also if you play a lot of multiplayer (more than 2) games, you'll have to buy a new multitap, since the space between the memory card and the controller port has changed.
Old 12-02-04, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the advice, y'all!!
I think I'll keep my trusty old PS2.
Old 12-02-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i read that they will be releasing a new memory card that can handle big downloads. sorry, forget exactly where.
Old 12-02-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by young
i read that they will be releasing a new memory card that can handle big downloads. sorry, forget exactly where.
EGM mentioned that in their gossip section recently.
Old 12-02-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by noonan4224
One thing to remember though. The new one has a flip top lid to put discs in so you'll need space above it to allow the lid to open. The older model had the nice pull out tray.
This alone will mean the new slim PS2 will have a much longer life than the old models.
Old 12-02-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
This alone will mean the new slim PS2 will have a much longer life than the old models.
I disagree. For all the reports of problems with the PS2, I have heard nothing about the tray. I still have my launch PS2 and the tray has never been a problem. I haven't heard of that being a problem for the Xbox, either.
Old 12-02-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Decker
I disagree. For all the reports of problems with the PS2, I have heard nothing about the tray. I still have my launch PS2 and the tray has never been a problem. I haven't heard of that being a problem for the Xbox, either.
Nor have I, but that doesn't discount that the flip-top drive will outlast the front-loader simply due to less mechanical parts to deal with on daily use. Speaking long-term of course. Will probably only be an issue to those of us who don't get rid of gaming systems when the newest and bestest arrive.
Old 12-02-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Nor have I, but that doesn't discount that the flip-top drive will outlast the front-loader simply due to less mechanical parts to deal with on daily use. Speaking long-term of course. Will probably only be an issue to those of us who don't get rid of gaming systems when the newest and bestest arrive.
OK I get that, but the flip-side is that the vast majority of problems reported in the PS2 is due to a collection of dust on the laser and other associated moving parts. Since the flip-top variety of machine has the laser directly exposed to the outside when the top is open (as well as an opening into the inner parts of the system), isn't there a GREATER likelyhood of dust build-up in those units potentially?

Though I suppose it might be easier to vaccum out and clean the newer units than the old ones. I'm just speculating here.

Last edited by Decker; 12-02-04 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-02-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK I get that, but the flip-side is that the vast majority of problems reported in the PS2 is due to a collection of dust on the laser and other associated moving parts. Since the flip-top variety of machine has the laser directly exposed to the outside when the top is open (as well as an opening into the inner parts of the system), isn't there a GREATER likelyhood of dust build-up in those units potentially?

Though I suppose it might be easier to vaccum out and clean the newer units than the old ones. I'm just speculating here.
I doubt there would be much of a difference as far as dust entering the system with normal loading on either system. I mean, if you left the flip-top OPEN, yeah that'd be an issue. But any dust that would enter a flip-top while open would still get into the tray of the front-loader while it's open.

I haven't heard of any problems based on dust build-up but I'd imagine if there was, the cause would be dust (or other crap) on the game discs loaded into the system. Most lens problems on the current units are related to the power flow to the drive unit. Since it regulates two different power settings based on reading CD or DVD media, you'll sometimes find units that can read one or the other, but typically it's the CD reading that dies out.
Old 12-02-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm... never heard that diagnosis before. If this is true about the different power settings, wouldn't the same hold true for the new units as well?
Old 12-02-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fujishig
Hmm... never heard that diagnosis before. If this is true about the different power settings, wouldn't the same hold true for the new units as well?
Probably, I don't know though. I'll let you know if I ever get any slims to repair. Though you bring up a good point; if lens problems exist in the new machines as frequent as they do in the old, I guess it wouldn't matter how long the actual drive unit would survive.
Old 12-02-04, 03:53 PM
Banned

Can you even find the old big PS2 anymore? I got the HD and will be pissed if my PS2 brakes and I can't get a older modal.
Old 12-02-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 914 Likes on 674 Posts

That is actually true. I work for an electronics company. Up till now we have always used top loading CD players. Now, everything is changing to front loading. Dust is an issue. Even more is the abiltiy for the customer to touch and move the laser lens. Having it all internal keeps both from happening and usually means the mech will have a longer life.
Old 12-02-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Although the argument against that is that the one top-loading console of this generation (Gamecube) has seemingly the lowest failure rate of the big three...

I know, I know, there are many other factors, I'm just saying...

What kind of CD players does your company manufacture? I'm thinking it must be Jukebox-type, since I don't think I've ever seen a portable that was front loading...
Old 12-02-04, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fujishig
Although the argument against that is that the one top-loading console of this generation (Gamecube) has seemingly the lowest failure rate of the big three...

I know, I know, there are many other factors, I'm just saying...

What kind of CD players does your company manufacture? I'm thinking it must be Jukebox-type, since I don't think I've ever seen a portable that was front loading...
N has always had a low failure rate. I could make a joke here it's cause they don't sell many units so allot won't brake but I won't :P Truth be told I don't ever remember hearing about N system braking. I need to get me a GC. When that new Zelda comes out I just may get it.
Old 12-02-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess only time will tell on this one.
Old 12-02-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
N has always had a low failure rate. I could make a joke here it's cause they don't sell many units so allot won't brake but I won't :P Truth be told I don't ever remember hearing about N system braking. I need to get me a GC. When that new Zelda comes out I just may get it.
How would that even be a joke since they're selling on par with Microsoft and there are PLENTY of reports of dead/dying Xboxes.. I guess humor follows a bias. *shrug*

Anyway, all Nintendo hardware has been built like tanks. The only two things I can think of are that the original NES used a really cheap metal for the cartridge slot, which cause the infamous "blinking" (but that was alleviated by simply cleaning the damn cartridges!) and that the original Gameboy's LCD was notorious for dead lines in the screen (but only after a couple years use).

In particular, ROM based game consoles are generally pretty durable. Dirty cartridges being the single biggest issue by a HUGE margin. Atari cartridges did not have exposed contacts so you can find a 2600 cart in the garbage and it'll probably work like a charm. Being that the Gamecube is Nintendo's first disc based system, I'd say they're doing a good job of maintaining the durability they've been known for for almost 20 years.
Old 12-02-04, 04:40 PM
Banned

A design flaw with the orginal PS2 is that the lens area was not sealed off from the rest of the unit. The caused the internal fan to push air across the lens and resulted in a dusty lens (most DRE are because of this). The new unit has no internal fan, and thus, no dust problem. And if the lens does manage to get dusty it is very simple to clean an exposed lens rather than cracking open the case.

The only downside to upgrading is the heating problem. Without a fan, you unit can get very hot in the horizontal position after hours of play. The solution is to pick up the (very nice) vertical stand. The problem is immediately sovled and the unit stays cool.

It was brought up earlier how the lid won't pop all the way up when you hit the open button. It pops open perfectly in the vertical position.

If you own a new PStwo, you need the vertical stand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.