Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the buzz on Meets the Fockers?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-04, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone looking forward to this film?

Will this movie be another bomb for Ben Stiller?
Old 11-27-04, 03:22 PM
RVP

I have never seen the first one, and have no plans on seing this one. Just seeing Barbara make me want to I usualy like Ben Stiler's stupid comedies.
Old 11-27-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not looking forward to it. I probably won't even catch it as a rental.

I saw the first one and didn't like it. I just never understood why it was such a hit. Obviously I was missing something because a lot of people really liked it.
Old 11-27-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will see it if someone, other than me, pays for the ticket.

Not a must see for me, but I would like to see it.
Old 11-27-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I liked the first one a lot and i was very excited about this one......until i saw the trailer.
Old 11-27-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll go see it.

Loved the first one.
Old 11-27-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed the first film, but the trailers make this sequel look like total shit.

Poor Ben Stiller. Numerous films released this year, and he's only had one solid film (Dodgeball) out of all of them.

[I don't count his cameo in Anchorman, because that was an actual good movie.]
Old 11-27-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I wanted to see this until I heard that Barbara Streisand was a member of the cast. I think they made a major mistake - they should have used Bette Midler instead.
Old 11-27-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are comedy sequels ever any good?
Old 11-28-04, 12:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Gerry P.
Are comedy sequels ever any good?

Yes.
Old 11-28-04, 12:15 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Re: What is the buzz on Meets the Fockers?

Originally posted by corycouger
Will this movie be another bomb for Ben Stiller?
I doubt it.

Expect big things.
Old 11-28-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Huge fan of MTP and will end up seeing the sequel regardless of what I hear about it beforehand. MTP was one of the greatest displays of a guy getting his balls busted I've ever seen in a movie.
Old 11-28-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: What is the buzz on Meets the Fockers?

Originally posted by scott shelton
I doubt it.

Expect big things.
Yeah. Meet the Parents was a HUGE hit, and expect this one to do very well. Plus Ben Stiller does not equal bomb. He's had what, 4 films come out this year so far, and 3 of them have been big hits. Starsky and Along Came Polly both cracked over 80 million, and Dodgeball cleared 100. only Envy bomed. Really Stiller can be hit and miss, though this year he's been hitting a lot.

But this movie...it'll make a ton, like 150 million or something. Why? Beats me, but audiences loved the first one and seem to be looking forward to this.
Old 11-28-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really Stiller can be hit and miss, though this year he's been hitting a lot.
While Along Came Polly (which happened to be one of the worst reviewed films of the year) and Starsky and Hutch made a profit; I believe them both to be two of the worst films of the year. Don't even get me started on Envy (which happened to be THE WORST reviewed film of the year).

You know what Ben Stiller needs to do to stop being in shitty movies? HE NEEDS TO STOP PLAYING THE STRAIGHT MAN. Sure, it worked before; but it's not working anymore. If he's going to continue comedies, he needs to be more "wacky" as it worked for Zoolander, Heavyweights, Dodgeball OR he can try his luck at drama again (Permanent Midnight).
Old 11-28-04, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
While Along Came Polly (which happened to be one of the worst reviewed films of the year) and Starsky and Hutch made a profit; I believe them both to be two of the worst films of the year. Don't even get me started on Envy (which happened to be THE WORST reviewed film of the year).

You know what Ben Stiller needs to do to stop being in shitty movies? HE NEEDS TO STOP PLAYING THE STRAIGHT MAN. Sure, it worked before; but it's not working anymore. If he's going to continue comedies, he needs to be more "wacky" as it worked for Zoolander, Heavyweights, Dodgeball OR he can try his luck at drama again (Permanent Midnight).
Well, I agree with you that those two sucked, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a box office draw. If anything, it shows he's got starpower. Having your great film make a lot of money says a lot, but when you can have shitty movies make lots of money, it definately does a lot to saying that you're a pretty popular star. of course, I'm speaking in purely commercial sense here. The only thing in both of those movies that he did which made me laugh was his "do it" bit in starsky. Otherwise, yeah, him playing the straight man is getting REALLY old. he's a particularly obnoxious straight man too, and can be very funny in more offbeat roles. But, doesn't change his successes noentheless.
Old 11-28-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'll take Along Came Polly & Starsky over that crapfest of a film called Zoolander. I'll give you the fact that he played someone other than the straight man, but damn it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. And what is wrong with playing the straight man? Look at Tom Hanks. Last I checked he has made a tidy profit doing the exact same thing. People just don't like the fact that Stiller is what is popular right now.
Old 11-28-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I love Stiller; but Along Came Polly and Starsky and Hutch were not funny and completely unoriginal. Now people either love or hate Zoolander, but at least it was original nevertheless.
Old 11-28-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
not too keen on barb being there imo the perfect parents would be Estelle Harris and Jerry Stiller.
Old 11-28-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the first one was a hit because people could relate with the more conservative-oriented parents and because of Owen Wilson. The 2nd one takes the opposite approach of having Ben's parents being much more liberal, which could serve as a hilarious contrast to De Niro's family but we'll have to see how this movie takes it.
Old 11-28-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the first one was a hit because people could relate with the more conservative-oriented parents and because of Owen Wilson.
Question One: Owen Wilson was a big star when Meet The Parents came out?
Question Two: Owen Wilson is a big star?
Old 11-29-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question One: Owen Wilson was a big star when Meet The Parents came out?
Question Two: Owen Wilson is a big star?
Question One: Will you start making posts that make sense?
Old 11-29-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Robert Denero is in it. thats enough for me