Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rocky Rerelease on DVD???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-04, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocky Rerelease on DVD???

Just read in another thread that MGM is suppose to re-release the Rocky movies sometime soon. Anyone know anything about this? I looked on MGM's web page but couldn't find anything.
Old 11-26-04, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=388909
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=385752
Old 11-26-04, 10:03 PM

and what does this give me that the current boxed set that's out doesn't have?
Old 11-26-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to mgm.com, a DTS track for Rocky, DD 5.1 for the rest, and a 6th disc of extras including an A&E Biography.
Old 11-27-04, 12:49 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad I waited for this one.
Old 11-27-04, 01:15 AM

Every film is finally anamorphic.

fitprod
Old 11-27-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Here is the ULTIMATE QUESTION:

Are all of the extras on the current ROCKY box set included on the upcoming one?

i.e., the audio commentary on ROCKY 1, the home videos of Stallone and Carl Weathers sparring, etc.

Someone? I checked the previous threads and NADA.
Old 11-27-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jeffkjoe
Here is the ULTIMATE QUESTION:

Are all of the extras on the current ROCKY box set included on the upcoming one?

i.e., the audio commentary on ROCKY 1, the home videos of Stallone and Carl Weathers sparring, etc.

Someone? I checked the previous threads and NADA.
I haven't been able to find any specifics other than the ones listed above and "audio commentaries," which will hopefully mean that some of the sequels will have one as well.
Old 11-27-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Last I heard is that all the movies will have commentaries on them and the first movie won't have any of the special features on it that the first release had.

This was a while back I read this, it may have changed I don't know. I just wish Stallone would do commentaries on II, III & IV the ones he directed. Or all of them whatever. I would love to hear a cast commentary on all the films!
Old 11-27-04, 06:23 PM

I got rid of all the the sequels, but hung on to my Rocky SE for this very reason. The extras are fantastic on this DVD and if the new one lacks them, I guess I'll just have to turn it into a 2-Disc DVD! Hopefully it will turn out that they're all carried over, though.
Old 11-28-04, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the first movie be available separately?
Old 11-28-04, 03:58 AM

lasers edge has this box set as being released on 12/14/04 with hi def transfers. here's the link. if it's accurate, this will definately be a double dip for me.

http://www.lasersedge.com/item_detai...56662&tMedia=1
Old 11-28-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
I just got my hands on that boxset (minus the A&E bonus disc) for review purposes. There are NO extras on any disc except for some trailers. There is no insert for any disc either. Rocky has a DTS track, all other films have DD5.1 track. All films have a new high def anamorphic transfer. Rocky and Rocky 2 have widescreen only (so there is disc art) , Rocky 3, 4, 5 have widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other (so no disc art).

Now since I own Rocky SE I was able to compare the transfers. The new transfer is a definite improvement over the one on the SE. Better contrast/detail level and a hell of a lot less scratches, dirt, etc...

Hope that helps.

P.S. Note that this is the Canadian release. But except for the added French 2.0 track, I assume the sets to be identical to the US ones.
Old 11-28-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, excentris. I was hoping the first movie would look significantly better.
Old 11-28-04, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris
I just got my hands on that boxset (minus the A&E bonus disc) for review purposes. There are NO extras on any disc except for some trailers. There is no insert for any disc either. Rocky has a DTS track, all other films have DD5.1 track. All films have a new high def anamorphic transfer. Rocky and Rocky 2 have widescreen only (so there is disc art) , Rocky 3, 4, 5 have widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other (so no disc art).

3 4 and 5 are double sided? Why even bother including fullscreen?
Old 11-28-04, 06:56 PM

how are the new extras?
Old 11-28-04, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by eiker_ir
how are the new extras?
Read eXcentris' post just a few above yours.
Old 11-28-04, 07:02 PM

oops, didn't read the "minus A&E bonus disc"
Old 11-28-04, 09:29 PM

This is complete garbage! I sold my old box set for a better more improved box set when this one was announced. Now I hear there's not one special feature aside from the A&E biography? This really makes me extremely mad!
Old 11-28-04, 11:49 PM

Again, glad I held on to my Rocky SE. The only good news, The Monkees, is that you can still snag the old DVD used at most places for very little. I almost wonder if this "blunder" is really in preparation for the eventual HD-DVD's. Otherwise it makes no sense to re-release these a third time (a couple of them are on their 4th DVD release now) as anything less than full-fledged SE's to match the Rocky SE. Rocky II was a worthy sequel and Rocky III and IV were huge blockbusters - so what gives???
Old 11-29-04, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

Originally posted by The Monkees
This is complete garbage! I sold my old box set for a better more improved box set when this one was announced. Now I hear there's not one special feature aside from the A&E biography? This really makes me extremely mad!
Better video and audio according to eXcentris. Why the hell did you sell without finding out what was to come? Your own fault.
Old 11-29-04, 01:02 PM

Also, if I recall correctly, I think I now remember reading somewhere that

the ROCKY ANTHOLOGY will include:

1) Stallone providing commentary on all ROCKY movies

2) ...AND deleted scenes. If that's true, then will finally see:

- the alternate ending from ROCKY I - Instead of the lovey-dovey ending, a beaten, yet triumphant Rocky and Adrian walk away from the ring alone. A much quieter final scene.
- Rocky speaking at his former high school, Abraham Lincoln High School, from ROCKY II
- an extended scene of Paulie and Rocky having words in the parking garage in ROCKY III
- Rocky having a harsh meeting with the boxing commission after Apollo's death in ROCKY IV
- and perhaps the alternate final scene from ROCKY V, aka, Rocky's death scene....we all know that Stallone wanted Rocky to die, but UA wanted to keep the franchise open. Question is, did they film it?

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 11-29-04 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

- the alternate ending from ROCKY I - Instead of the lovey-dovey ending, a beaten, yet triumphant Rocky and Adrian walk away from the ring alone. A much quieter final scene.
- Rocky speaking at his former high school, Abraham Lincoln High School, from ROCKY II
- an extended scene of Paulie and Rocky having words in the parking garage in ROCKY III
- Rocky having a harsh meeting with the boxing commission after Apollo's death in ROCKY IV
- and perhaps the alternate final scene from ROCKY V, aka, Rocky's death scene....we all know that Stallone wanted Rocky to die, but UA wanted to keep the franchise open. Question is, did they film it?
You haven't been paying attention, go to your room.
Old 11-29-04, 08:49 PM

I also remember hearing this. Why, why must they lie to us!?!?
Old 11-29-04, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris
You haven't been paying attention, go to your room.
Who's to say that the deleted stuff and other goodies aren't on the bonus disc with the Biography special?

But, you can confirm that there AREN'T any commentaries on the five movies at all....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.