Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD's and that dreaded hiccup

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but the search didn't help me all to well, mainly because I wasn't sure what to search for. Anyways..

Why is it that nearly every one of my DVD's has at least one moment in it where the movie hiccups, or pauses momentarilly just to start right back up where it left off? I know this is probably just being picky, but it seems that without fail, I can not watch a movie without experiencing this. I have a dvd player built into my Toshiba TV, as well as a Sony 5 disc and it usually happens on both players. Is there any explanation for this? Is it just me, or does this sort of thing happen to everyone?
Old 11-23-04, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum

The "hiccup" you're talking about is the layer change. Most DVDs are dual layer and as the laser refocuses moving from the one layer to the other there is a "hiccup". I'm sure some people will post sites that'll give you more detailed/technical explainations if you like but that's the long and the short of it. While it can be annoying, look at it this way, it's better than the laser discs for which you would have to get up and phyisically flip the disc over or for which the layer change was longer since playback would have to switch from one laser to another.
Old 11-23-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of of the most annoying layers changes I have in my collection is the X-Files movie. It takes place as a door is swinging shut and it annoys me when I watch it and when I think about it.
Old 11-23-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the most recent Scarface has one stinker of a change....or at least the moment used for it is insane. awful.

I have several domestic and import players, and while some pause for the change...others read right through it with no pause. my Denon models are great for avoiding a noticable switch. also....I've noticed my X-Box reads right through most as well....as does my dvd-rom.
Old 11-23-04, 11:39 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some are longer than others, but you'll get use to them.
Old 11-23-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

which dvd players do best with these?

ok...i know im moving into a different forum with this question...but hell, it started here.
Old 11-23-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are there players that have enough buffer or read ahead that will elimiate the change?
Old 11-24-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
Are there players that have enough buffer or read ahead that will elimiate the change?
I'm only reporting some things that I have read. As gutwrencher reported, I believe the Denon players do a good job at buffering enough data to avoid having a noticeable layer change. Also if you a using a HTPC, most if not all of the software players will do this as well.

There's probably lots more information from posters in the equipment/gear forum, or look into www.avsforum.com, where someone would be able to give you all the info you need.
Old 11-24-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rarely notice it on my Toshiba 3900, but that could also be because a lot of studios have gotten smarter and hide the layer change in a cut between scenes.
Old 11-24-04, 10:43 AM
Banned

All of the new Denon players do a great job. Their models have either a 2MB or 8MB buffer built in. With the 2MB units, it's almost completely gone and you will only see it on a few of the worst discs. I have been using the DVD-2900 for a while now and just swiched to the 3910 and they both have the 8MB. With this buffer you will never see a layer change at all.
Old 11-24-04, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are probably better recommendations/information in the Hardware Forum. Since this has kind of turned into a thread along those lines I'm moving it there...
Old 11-24-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I second the DVD-2900 from Denon.
Old 11-24-04, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
I second the DVD-2900 from Denon.
Great unit, but it's on its way out. The newer version is the DVD-2910 at $680 MSRP.
Old 11-26-04, 04:16 PM

The Denon 2900 is the flat out best layer change killer available. I have one, & have never seen a layer change on it. This is a great site with layer change speed info.
Secrets