Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

WoW out today..

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts
WoW out today..

I heard Worlds of Warcraft comes out today. Would really appreciate some input from those that are trying it to see if it's worthwhile.
Old 11-23-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I want this game. Unlike ive wanted any game before (or maybe about the same). I only played for a week on the open beta and it was really fun, enough so that i dont want to play any other game except it. I'm hoping i get it and a 2 month pass for christmas.
On the Wow open beta thread there were/are people talking about getting the game today.
Old 11-23-04, 11:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wasn't interested in this game, but I tried the open beta and was SOLD! Picked it up today, won't be able to play until Saturday.

If there's something specific you'd like to know about the game, I'd be happy to answer questions.

Last edited by Groucho; 11-23-04 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-23-04, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is a really great game, very addictive. I suggest you pick it up. I was never really into RPGs, played during beta and I got hooked like crazy. Pick it up you won't regret it.
Old 11-23-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally posted by Groucho
I wasn't interested in this game, but I tried the open beta and was SOLD! Picked it up today, won't be able to play until Saturday.

If there's something specific you'd like to know about the game, I'd be happy to answer questions.
I'm really looking for comparisons to Everquest 1 and 2.. I've been playing EQ2 for a week or so now and it's a great game, but i'm always interested in something better. I didn't like the previous warcraft strategy type enivornments, but I hear that this online game is completely different than that and it is much more like EQ. Are there tradeskills and the like? Can you be other than human or orc? What makes this game better than everquest? I guess those are my main questions...

Thanks
Old 11-23-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how difficult is it to find WoW in stores?
anyone see it in NYC?
Does all EB in NYC carry it?
i only checked JandR (since i work around there ) and they don't have it.
Old 11-23-04, 12:19 PM

Timewaster,
I saw it at the CompUSA on 37th and 5th Ave.
It's right in the front when you come in.
Old 11-23-04, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by General Zod
I'm really looking for comparisons to Everquest 1 and 2
I've played EQ, but not EQ2. At first blush, it's a lot like EQ. Persistant world with respawning monsters, running around, etc.
Are there tradeskills and the like?
There is a wide variety of crafting skills. I never liked crafting in EQ, but I find it a lot of fun here. The skills are complementary, which means you can work with other craftsmen to get supplies and make better stuff.
Can you be other than human or orc?
Yes, there are a wide variety of races and classes to choose, for both Alliance (Good) and Horde (Evil) characters.
What makes this game better than everquest?
Basically, it gets rid of a lot of the EQ annoyances, mostly to do with griefing, ks'ing, and the like. Corpse retrival is a lot better, as is travel (although there's still a lot of running...after level 40 you can get a mount however). You can level up the old fashioned way, killing beasties...or you you can run quests. There are lots and lots of quests to do, with varying degrees of difficulty and fun.

It's my understanding that EQ2 is a big improvement over the original game in the same areas, but I haven't played it so I really can't make a fair comparison.
Old 11-23-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by General Zod
I'm really looking for comparisons to Everquest 1 and 2.. I've been playing EQ2 for a week or so now and it's a great game, but i'm always interested in something better. I didn't like the previous warcraft strategy type enivornments, but I hear that this online game is completely different than that and it is much more like EQ. Are there tradeskills and the like? Can you be other than human or orc? What makes this game better than everquest? I guess those are my main questions...

Thanks
Groucho already responsded to most of your questions but I will add my two cents. WOW is based on the Warcraft universe, but is essentially nothing like the other Warcraft games. This is an MMORPG much like Everquest/DAOC etc., not a strategy game like the Warcraft series it is based on.

What game you should go with really depends on what you are interested in. For example if you want to do PVP, you would go with WOW. WOW also made a large attempt at getting rid of the camping/grinding of previous MMORPG's with it's questing system and instancing. I am not sure how everquest 2 has changed the camping/grinding dynamic, although I believe it has instanced zones.
Old 11-23-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wildside74
Timewaster,
I saw it at the CompUSA on 37th and 5th Ave.
It's right in the front when you come in.
Thanks.
I'll check there.
I called every EB store and they are friggin sold out in all of them.
serves me right for now pre-ordering it.
Old 11-23-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A couple questions from me (even though i played the open beta of WoW):

1) What exactly does PvP mean? When i played WoW you could fight people only by challenging them to a duel. In the PvP universe can you just attack anyone? what happens when you beat/kill another player?

2) Do the Alliance players ever run into/fight the Horde players?
Old 11-23-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

once you get to the mainland you see horde players around ( i got my ass throughly beat)
Old 11-23-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out this page for an explanation of the differences between the Normal, PvP, and RP servers:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...ealmtypes.html

I haven't played any other MMORPG's, but I've bought every other Blizzard game/expansion so I was definitely interested in WoW and the open beta pretty much hooked me.

I'm glad to see that Blizzard continues to kick ass even when they're working outside their traditional RTS genre. It makes me look forward to Ghost even more.
Old 11-24-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That site is blocked here at work. I'll figure it out, though
Old 11-24-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have both eq2 and wow. both are mmorpgs. from my 6 hours of playing wow last night, i noted a couple strengths & weaknesses against eq2:

want solo play? go with wow. eq2 really focuses on grouping. i was able to level in wow up to 10 very easily on my own, whereas in eq2, well, for that early mission to get off the island, there is no way you're defeating the boss on your own.

graphics wise, eq2 beats out wow, imo. also, there are a ton of voiceovers for the npcs in eq2 and the music, i think, is alot cooler.

the kill stealing problem in eq2 is handled really nicely. it'll lock the fight so outsiders can't jump into your battle and taking your kill without you requesting help. in wow, everything is game. why can't wow do the same thing?

no pvp at all in eq2. (i hate it pvp so not an issue for me)

death: in eq2, if you or someone in your group dies, you get xp debt which goes against your xp for levelling up. you can't continue to level until you erase this xp debt. i really hate this because you really are forced into being very selective with who you group with. if they die, you get penalized. i'm starting to really hate grouping because of arrogant players who die and i'm have to pay for their mistakes. in wow, if you die, just run back to your corpse and revive. no xp debt. i like that.

eq2 also handles overcrowding of areas by players because almost every zone is instanced in the game. (i think wow only instances a few dungeons in the game? that's what i've read.)

userinterface, i'm still learning wow's interface so i can't really offer an opinion on that. swg had a better interface than eq2, in my opinion, though.

bottom line: i like eq2 alot, but i really prefer to solo and blizzard really embraces that. besides, being on swg for a year, i think i've given sony online enough money.
Old 11-24-04, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by peon73
the kill stealing problem in eq2 is handled really nicely. it'll lock the fight so outsiders can't jump into your battle and taking your kill without you requesting help. in wow, everything is game. why can't wow do the same thing?
WoW does do the same thing - if you get the first blow in on a mob, you "tap" it. Try clicking on a mob that someone else is fighting - you'll notice that the name-bar turns grey, indicating that the mob is already tapped. You can attack it if you like, but when it dies the XP and loot rights will go to the player/group that tapped the mob.
Old 11-24-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by blakwngbrd
WoW does do the same thing - if you get the first blow in on a mob, you "tap" it. Try clicking on a mob that someone else is fighting - you'll notice that the name-bar turns grey, indicating that the mob is already tapped. You can attack it if you like, but when it dies the XP and loot rights will go to the player/group that tapped the mob.

I never tried it, but what is to stop say a level 60 Warrior helping a level 2 kill stuff much higher than him, extremely quickly and with ease?

Say, the level 2 guys attacks level 10 mob, after a few seconds the level 60 warrior hits it once, and it is dead. Does the same rule apply, where the level 2 will get all the experience, since he 'tapped' it?
Old 11-24-04, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by flashburn
I never tried it, but what is to stop say a level 60 Warrior helping a level 2 kill stuff much higher than him, extremely quickly and with ease?

Say, the level 2 guys attacks level 10 mob, after a few seconds the level 60 warrior hits it once, and it is dead. Does the same rule apply, where the level 2 will get all the experience, since he 'tapped' it?
As long as they are not in a group together, yes, that will work.
Old 11-24-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally posted by blakwngbrd
As long as they are not in a group together, yes, that will work.
I see power levelling in the future of this game..
Old 11-24-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Servers are LAGGED to all hell. Blizzard rushed the release and now it shows. Right now it's UNplayable. I would wait a month or two and hope that they work out the bugs, and get more efficient servers.

The game itself is EXCELLENT. Too bad we can't get on long enough to play without getting lagged out, or having the server crash.
Old 11-24-04, 07:10 PM

The issue is that everybody is in the newbie areas right now. Once the population is more dispersed, the problem will resolve itself.
Old 11-24-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
The issue is that everybody is in the newbie areas right now. Once the population is more dispersed, the problem will resolve itself.

It is kind of hard to disperse the population when it is so lagged you can't even kill anything, or the servers are just down.
Old 11-25-04, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by flashburn

Can't do it. If the player that assists you is significantly higher level than you then you get your XP reduced and he of course gets none at all. There's almost no twinking in this game.
Old 11-25-04, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To add a bit to the EQ2 part of this thread (sorry for hijacked), I am having a bit of issues with the game being very hard without a group and a lot of groups being plain awful. Because of the death penalty, if you die or do not understand your class' role in a group, some people flat out remove you. In other groups, they do not resurrect you even if they can, some people are there for loot and nothing more. In general, I find Eq2 is better than WoW, but the community is not as good as you would expect- I group with guild only or solo/craft if I've no group.

As for WoW, I did not buy it but my brother did and he can't login as it says that there are too many players. Why pay for a game to be told that it's full- what a waste of your free month.
Old 11-25-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so what the hell happened to the skullcrusher server?
they mentioned 4 servers being offline indefinitely and skullcrusher was not one of them, but the server does now show up in the list.
what gives??
This is like EQ 1 all over again.
very disappointed in Blizzard.
When their open beta was showing problems, they should've known they did not have enough servers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.