DVD Talk
Where's "Shack Out On 101" ? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Where's "Shack Out On 101" ?

Zombie67
11-22-04, 01:45 PM
Does anyone remember the 1955 film "Shack Out On 101" ?

Starring: Lee Marvin, Terry Moore and Keenan Wynn.
Directed by: Edward Dein

Plot: At an isolated, seaside greasy-spoon cafe live George, the sarcastic owner; Slob, the potentially violent cook; and Kotty, the sexy waitress all the men lust after. Plus an occasional customer, including "Professor Sam", Kotty's boyfriend from a nearby research facility. And something's going on under the potentially explosive surface emotions...nuclear secrets being smuggled out of the country.

I wish someone release this to DVD.
Does anyone know who holds the distribution rights to this ?

devilpants
11-22-04, 01:51 PM
I've seen it-it's a weird, kinda funny film ("Lee Marvin as Slob"). I can see Alpha putting this out since a lot of Public Domain VHS houses have been selling it for years.

marty888
11-22-04, 02:51 PM
I seriously thought I was the only person around here that knew this movie! I've got a great VHS release of this, and would love to see a decent (i.e., not a public domain house) DVD appear.

I remember reading a review when the video was released that said Lee Marvin's greasy t-shirt from this should be in the Smithsonian.

obscurelabel
11-22-04, 03:38 PM
I first heard about this from the Catalog of Cool (http://www.catalog-of-cool.com), which lists it as one of the 50 coolest films ever made :eek: and was fortunate to see it once on TBS years ago. Once was enough for me :lol:

SHACK OUT ON 101 (1955). Goofy gray paranoia from the Fifties. Lee Marvin plays Slob, a shambling short-order chef in Keenan Wynn's beachfront greasy spoon. While FBI agent Frank Lovejoy cops a cut-rate From Here to Eternity with Terry Moore on the sand (they look like cubes mating), Lee smuggles microfilm to the Reds. At one point the "story" stops dead for fifteen minutes while Marvin and Wynn hoist weights and compare lats and delts. Cheap thrills!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0