Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pelican vs. Logitech: cordless controllers for the PS2

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Pelican vs. Logitech: cordless controllers for the PS2

I've been looking toward getting a Logitech Cordless Action controller for my PS2, based on all the positive comments about it here in the forum, but the cheapest I've found it is $45. Costco has a 2-set of cordless Pelican Predator II controllers for $40. This may seem like a bargain but I don't really need two controllers (I have no one at home that ever plays with me) and am unfamiliar with how reliable Pelican controllers are.

ANy opinions? Do these rate well compared to the Logitech controller or should I not buy the Pelican controllers at all and keep searching for a better deal on the Logitech controller.

BTW, I know Amazon.com has the Logitech Cordless Action for the PS2 at a pretty reasonable price but the vendor they use to distribute said controllers refuses to ship to Puerto Rico.
Old 11-22-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would pay the extra for the flawless performance of the Logitech wireless controller. Sure it costs a little more, but the cheaper brands have frequent cut-outs and other problems that make your gameplaying time miserable...

I've had cheaper wireless controllers (not the Pelican however), and it's not worth the aggravation. I actually had to stop using my PS2 with the crappy controller I had until my Logitech shipped - it was so bad... I had to use my GAMECUBE instead!

I got mine at buy.com for $33, but it seems to be SOLD OUT (for now).

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...3&loc=101&sp=1
Old 11-22-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I have both of those. I let my daughter play with the Pelican. There's no comparison, the Logitech is SO much better. You can get it anyday for $35 at BB with the gamer's card. Worth every penny and more. It's a supurb controller and I use it all the time. The pelican is akward with it's button placement and size. I can't get accurate jumps in my platformers. It is in every way an inferior product.
Old 11-22-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks you two. I feel good about choosing not to buy the Pelican two-pack.

Um, do you mean Best Buy or Blockbuster when you say BB. Cos the former doesn't exist here.
Old 11-22-04, 11:44 AM

I have to agree with the other two. I have had experience with both the Pelican and Logitech but for the Xbox. I had the Pelican for a couple weeks but I went back to my corded controller because the buttons were a little too squishy. You had to push real hard to have the buttons register. I sold the Pelican on Half.com and then went out and plunked down the $39.99 at Target to get the Logitech. I haven't had any problems yet.

D.
Old 11-22-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
Thanks you two. I feel good about choosing not to buy the Pelican two-pack.

Um, do you mean Best Buy or Blockbuster when you say BB. Cos the former doesn't exist here.
I ment Best Buy (abreviations 101 : BB = Best Buy, BBV = Blockbuster Video).
The Preditor isn't really that bad, but it pales next to the new Logitech. It should be only $39.99 anywhere. That's the MSRP for it (the Xbox version is $10 more for unknown reasons). I'll look around the web to see if there's any better deals, but you should definately be able to pick it up at Circuit City or Wal-Mart for $39.99.
Old 11-22-04, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pelican vs. Logitech: cordless controllers for the PS2

Definitely go with the Logitech Cordless Action controller. Circuitcity.com had a sale a few weeks ago on accessories, so I managed to get it for $36 shipped. That deal is long gone, but most places have it for around $40. Just one thing: If you're ordering online, make sure you order the "Action" model. Logitech has an older wireless model that's NOT as good. Gamestop.com has only that older one in stock, I believe.
Old 11-22-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Pelican vs. Logitech: cordless controllers for the PS2

Originally posted by DaBargainHunta
Just one thing: If you're ordering online, make sure you order the "Action" model. Logitech has an older wireless model that's NOT as good. Gamestop.com has only that older one in stock, I believe.
Good point...

Sometimes the descriptions are really vague - so make sure you get the one that takes 2 batteries. The older one takes 4, and it's a lot bigger in size.
Old 11-23-04, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I know of the older one. I've seen it at my local K-Mart. They wanted $48 for that monstrosity. I couldn't believe how hug it was. Looked really uncomfortable to use.
Old 12-27-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why wont the LED on PS2 Cordless Action Controller wont turn off?

Hey guys. I purchased the Logitech Cordless Action for my PS2 just as you reccommended and I couldn't be happier. But am currently experiencing a weird bug (assuming it is indeed a bug).

I purchased a PS2 Cordless Action Controller late November and it has been working fine. But lately I've noticed that when I turn of my Playstation 2 (not the thin model PStwo) off, the LED on the controller blinks as it should for a few seconds, but instead of the LED turning off after a few seconds, the light stays on dim when not in use. If I leave the controller idle for a few minutes with the console on the controller does turn off as it should but if I turn off my console the controller LED goes dim instead of off.

The manual states absolutely nothing about the controller LED light turning dim. What does this mean?
Old 12-27-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Batteries dying, perhaps? Try a new set of batteries.
Do you turn 'off' the console [with the switch on the back], or set it to 'standby' [with the button on the front]?
Old 12-28-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got new batteries for it. In fact I got some rechargeable batteries and made sure they were fully charged before putting them in. According to the manual, the LED should blink constantly if the batteries are low.

Oh and I made a mistake. The light doesn't go off when idle when the console is on. It only goes off if the game I'm playing doesn't use the analog functions and the controller defaults to digital.
Old 12-28-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Maybe if you turn off the console, the controller loses sync with it, and is like 'pinging' the console so it can keep its wireless connection? I'm not sure if that makes sense.

What if you let the controller do its auto-shutoff, and *then* turn off the console?
Old 12-29-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried what you suggested, dtcarson, and was frustrated by failure. It just kept going dim on it's auto shut-off. Then I thought maybe I should turn on the console with out a disc in it so the controller would go into digital mode and the LED would turn off. Then I turned off the console.

Well, at first I was upset because when I would turn off the console the controller LED would begin to blink (signaling that it was searching for the lost signal) and after a few seconds (when it should go into standby and LED should go out) the LED would seem to go out to immediately blink and then grow dim. Frustrated I quit. Only to notice about twenty minutes later that now the LED is off.

I haven't bothered to try out the controller right now due to fear of finding out that my victory is short lived but... if this worked, I owe you thanks for pointing me in the right direction, dtcarson.