Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone get Ghost Recon 2? (XBox)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone get Ghost Recon 2? (XBox)

Just wondered if anyone had picked this up. I was torn between this and Call of Duty until I read Gamespot's review of Call of Duty. That one seems to be mediocre at best, so I'm thinking of picking up Ghost Recon 2. I never played the original, but the trailers for this looked impressive to me.
Old 11-21-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
is there a reason why the Xbox version is already out and the PS2 won't be in for another couple weeks?
Old 11-21-04, 03:07 PM
RVP

I think the focus was placed on the Xbox release, and it is still being adjusted for PS2.

Also how is this? I Mildly enjoyed the first 2 on xbox. I am thinking of picking this up just because ithe graphics looks so good.
Old 11-21-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I've read , they're actually different games. The PS2 version is set in 2007 I think, and the XBox game picks up several years later. The Xbox version was developed from the ground up for that console.
Old 11-21-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ubisoft tends to favor the Xbox just as other developers favor the PS2.
Old 11-21-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im gonna wait for the pc version, ghost recon 1 was the bomb
Old 11-21-04, 11:19 PM

I've got it, it's enjoyable coming from someone who played a lot of GR on the PC and doesn't want to wait till next march when the PC version hits the shelf.
Old 11-22-04, 10:35 AM

I didnt pick up Halo2 because of GR2. I don't regret my decision.

GR2 is the real deal. It's an awesome game online and off.
Old 11-22-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but I got Ghost Recon last year as a Platinum Title for $11 at best buy just because it was cheap...........couldn't even understand it. Never got past the first level and never played it again.
Old 11-22-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not trying to hijack this thread but I got Ghost Recon last year as a Platinum Title for $11 at best buy just because it was cheap...........couldn't even understand it. Never got past the first level and never played it again.
From what I read, this one is maybe a little less complicated than that. I think there's a little more focus on just controlling the individual and less focus on having to take care of the squad movements. That was the impression I got, but this is just from what I read on Gamespot's preview.
Old 11-22-04, 02:03 PM

It's pretty good. The one thing I was worried about was that it would have an over the shoulder viewpoint, but this is an option so you can still have first person. The graphics are much improved, maybe even more impressive than Halo 2. The maps are huge. I'm having fun with it so far, but still like the old Ghost.
Old 11-22-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it possible to play co-op on the regular campaign? I only saw that you could play co-op on the missions (different from the campaign).
Old 11-22-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm enjoying the game so far.
You can't run-in guns blazing with this game.

You'll have to do some thinking with the map to plan your best approach to a target, but thankfully, accessing the map is as easy as pulling the L-trigger and giving orders to your squadmates is just like in Rainbow Six 3. Very easy.

I've played through only 3 stages and the missions have been pretty cool. I like the third-person perspective because it gives you more view of your surroundings (just as in driving games).

I was hoping Red Storm would utilize the same soundtrack in GR1. No luck. The soundtrack in this second installment does not sound as good. For my shooting games, I prefer soundtracks similar to that found in the movie "The Rock" (Nicolas Cage; Sean Connery; Michael Biehn).

The death animations look goofy but the graphics are drop "dead" gorgeous (sorry for that pun ).
Old 11-22-04, 04:37 PM

Regarding co-op in campaign mode...

On page 12 of the booklet it reads:

Co-op defend, firefight, recon, battle, garrison, scout, and mission.

The description for 'mission': Play a mission with other players as your squad.
I believe (but have yet to try) this to be what you're looking for.

If anyone would like descriptions of the other co-op modes listed, let me know.
Old 11-23-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for responding. I have played the mission co-op, but it is different than the regular game. I was wondering if there is a way to go through the entire single-player game with another person. I wonder why they didn't include that option.
Old 11-23-04, 11:22 AM

I like the 'Lonewolf' mode.
Playing the campaign without the other ghosts and the M29 "gun-cam" is sweet.

At first I thought the gun-cam sounded kind of gimmicky.
The idea of sticking the gun out the corner of a building while you remain behind cover sounded stupid.
Then I realized you could do more than that with the M29:

You could stand behind a wall that's slightly taller than you and stick the gun above. The same can be done while kneeling behind a car for cover; stick the gun over the hood. Even better, try this while in the prone position!

Having grenades that can be set to explode at whatever distance you set is cool for larger groups of enemies or to nail a contact behind cover. However, this requires some time and planning and can't be performed in the heat of battle.

Lazing targets is only fun because you get to watch the explosion.

They really should have called the Lonewolf mode "Rambo".
Old 11-23-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So does 'Lonewolf' mode mean you can play the entire game without dealing with the squad, or is it just a shortened/ multiplayer option?
Old 11-25-04, 12:03 PM

So far from what I've tried, yes.

You can go solo on all of the maps in the single player campaign.
However you are limited to only the M29 camera-mounted gun and have access to lazing targets for airstrikes.

For some of the maps this is absolute suicide.
I guess if you could pull it off solo, you'll get a sense of euphoria.
Old 11-25-04, 06:27 PM
J_J

I got this game and really like the new graphics engine, much clearer and easier to see targets.

All the new weapon make it blast to play expecially the (post above mentioned) M29 camera gun!

Played the first two missions and died a couple of times, it is a different setup to change weapons and it takes five seconds, as in real life I suppose.

Movement to the soldiers is great and their gear is related to their class and weapon load.

I would get this one.

JJ
Old 11-28-04, 10:48 PM

Any release date (estimate) on this for the PC?
Old 11-29-04, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trelach24
I would say you need to try it again and put some time into learning the game. These are great games which are probably fairly hard for the average gamer. I was always use to games such as medal of honor where you could sustain several hits before dying. The Ghost Recon games are very tough....they really make you learn and concentrate on strategy and patience when you are actively working a mission. You cannot just run and gun....
Old 11-29-04, 09:56 AM

I was having a bitch of a time on the single player campaign until I realized you can save at any point. I'm starting to warm up to the online too.
Small probs with online:
-You can set a temporary invincibility when you spawn so enemies can't spawnkill, but no hosts seem to set this.
-While you were playing the old Ghost, you could see when people entered the room, so you could jump back out to get them. You can't do see people enter in Ghost 2. This is a real prob since half the rooms I enter have already started playing.
-I prefer the old interface for changing rate of fire and switching weapons. Now it's an extra button push. I do like that anyone can use explosives and they don't seem to lag out the room anymore.
Other than that, the graphics are much improved, the lag is less and I've been having some really fun games, reminiscent of the old Ghost days before the spawnkillfests and glitchers.
Old 11-29-04, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by warcp
I was having a bitch of a time on the single player campaign until I realized you can save at any point.
And more importantly start right-off from that point. Same health, same ammo, etc.

I finally realized this too at the stage where you're suppose to defend a position in a trench and an onslaught of N. Koreans kept pouring out of the forest. This scenario felt nearly impossible...and that was on the 'Normal' difficulty setting.

Some maps in this game definitely require a lot of patience and planning. Strategic planning will reward the players who like to be technical with their wargames.
Old 11-30-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trelach24
GR games are awesome. It's not a first person shooter where you run around and shoot. You have a team and you need to use strategy and terrain to your advantage.

Good tactics are to have a heavy weapon as a base of fire and use the rest of the team to circle around and attack from the flank. Snipers are good too.
Old 11-30-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by al_bundy
GR games are awesome. It's not a first person shooter where you run around and shoot. You have a team and you need to use strategy and terrain to your advantage.

Good tactics are to have a heavy weapon as a base of fire and use the rest of the team to circle around and attack from the flank. Snipers are good too.
I actually like to be the sniper on occasion and use my team as support. I like to pick people off from a distance and save my team from any unneccesary confrontations. I will sit and scope out the terrain with my sniper rifle and clear as much as possible prior to advancing.

Some missions do require the heavy handed approach...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.