DVD Talk
What's with the hatred against Eddie Murphy? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What's with the hatred against Eddie Murphy?

Yocke
11-20-04, 09:31 PM
48 Hrs. was the seventh highest grossing film of 1987
The Golden Child was the 8th highest grossing film of 1986
Coming to America was the third highest grossing film of 1988
and yet none of these films have been released with an anamorphic transfer in north america. Embarassing.

Is this a black thing?

imp66
11-20-04, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Yocke
Is this a black thing?

Yes, it's a black thing. :rolleyes: And your explanation for all the classic movies that haven't been released with white stars?

Why does every single thing in this country HAVE to be about black-n-white?

JTH182
11-20-04, 09:37 PM
Shakespeare, Freddy, Shakespeare!

Shake a spear! Spearchucker! I'm a spearchucker now!

Yocke
11-20-04, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by imp66
Yes, it's a black thing. :rolleyes: And your explanation for all the classic movies that haven't been released with white stars?

Come on! You didn't see Beverly Hills Cop II did you?

tommy28
11-20-04, 10:23 PM
48 Hrs. was the seventh highest grossing film of 1987
The Golden Child was the 8th highest grossing film of 1986
Coming to America was the third highest grossing film of 1988
and yet none of these films have been released with an anamorphic transfer in north america. Embarassing.

Is this a black thing?

Not a balck thing,

but defiantly a Swedish thing...

Puke!

ianholm
11-20-04, 10:26 PM
48 Hours was from well before 1987

stevevt
11-20-04, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by ianholm
48 Hours was from well before 1987

Not in Sweden.

1982 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083511/), in case anyone cares.

The Infidel
11-20-04, 11:30 PM
You nailed it right on the head. Certain Eddie Murphy movies don't get anamorphic transfers because he is black.

-screwy-

matome
11-20-04, 11:33 PM
Thsoe are all Paramount Pictures movies. Boycott the racist studio!

Yocke
11-20-04, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by stevevt
Not in Sweden.

1982 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083511/), in case anyone cares.

Lol. Oops, typo. It was released in Sweden in 1982 as well, if anyone cares.

Come on, get off the black thing. It was a joke. I just saw Beverly Hills Cop II, and he says exactly the same thing in that film just to aggrivate the police captain. Guess it worked...

Fok
11-20-04, 11:34 PM
Just lazy studio's not releasing movies properly. If its a race thing, then Fox must really hate Bruce Lee. His movie releases were disgraceful.

Rogue588
11-20-04, 11:42 PM
He went from cutting edge comedian...to neutered, tranny-seeking "family" man...

Or just 'cuz he's a nigga*.

* As an aside...last week or the week before, I was watching NBC late at nite/early in the morning when they show a "classic" episode of SNL. Anyways, it was right around the time 48 Hours was out in theatres. I'm guessing Nick was supposed to host the show, but he said he was sick [Eddie was making fun of it, so i'm guessing he really wasn't sick]. So, at the beginning of the show, Eddie told the audience he was going to host the show. During the host's five minutes at the beginning of the show, he was telling jokes about Stevie Wonder and whatnot and during one of his jokes, he blurted out "nigga" and it wasn't bleeped. It surprised me because I didn't think they were that laid back back in the day...

Oh, and Yocke, remember...this is PARA-"subtitles are special features"-MOUNT pictures we're talking about.

matome
11-20-04, 11:43 PM
Joking aside, it seems Paramount is revisiting their older non-anamorphic titles recently. Maybe they'll redo them with anamorphic SE's like they did the Jack Ryan pics. They could make this The Eddie Murphy Collection. I'd double-dip for sure.

ctyankee
11-21-04, 12:35 AM
Maybe it's just a bias against guys that cruise the strip looking for transexuals.

Can't we all just get along?

puddytay
11-21-04, 12:49 AM
I would swear my copy of coming to america is anamophic.

POWERBOMB
11-21-04, 01:43 AM
The won't release these that way untill he agrees to release "Delirious" on dvd. (of course, that's just a rumour I'm starting).

RevKarl
11-21-04, 02:09 AM
Re: What's with the hatred against Eddie Murphy?

Because he took on THE MAN...Bill Cosby...and thus, HE MUST PAY!!!!!

jaeufraser
11-21-04, 02:25 AM
Yeah that sounds like more of a Paramount thing than anything else. You'll notice Eddie Murphy in the 1980s was...well he pretty much only did movies for paramount. Actually, did he do any movies that weren't Paramount in the 80s?

El-Kabong
11-21-04, 03:13 AM
Why all the hate for Eddie Murphy? Two words for you: Pluto Nash.

I rest my case.

bluesparrow
11-21-04, 04:06 AM
Maybe his movies just don't sell on dvd. When was the last time you felt like picking up Vampire in Brooklyn?

Actually I buy the "because Paramount dvd sucks" line.

scottall
11-21-04, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by RevKarl
Because he took on THE MAN...Bill Cosby...and thus, HE MUST PAY!!!!!
[Eddie as Richard Pryor]Tell that mother fucker to have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up![/Eddie as Richard Pryor]

Sorry for the offensive language in the main forum. Please forgive me.

DVD Polizei
11-21-04, 06:00 AM
Yocke,

You don't like the Widescreen versions Paramount has already released? It's not like these movies have the greatest transfer quality. We're talking 80's movies here. Film Grain was the game in the 80's.

Yocke
11-21-04, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Yocke,

You don't like the Widescreen versions Paramount has already released? It's not like these movies have the greatest transfer quality. We're talking 80's movies here. Film Grain was the game in the 80's.

Oh, it's nice they have released them in widescreen. What I was trying to say was these films made tons of money. They would probably make the money back if they rereleased these films anamorphically, or even as special editions.

calhoun07
11-21-04, 10:30 AM
It's just an example of a man trying to keep a brutha down.

Was there a black man in the Batman movies? I've been waiting for decent anamorphic special editions of those movies for years.

DavidH
11-21-04, 10:43 AM
48 Hours and Beverly Hills Cops (which you left out) are anamorphic ---- can't speak for the other two titles you mentioned.

Maybe studios are racist against Austrians as well since Arnold's Commando and Kindergarten Cop are non-anamorphic and one in full screen only!

Big Worms
11-21-04, 10:43 AM
I love Eddie Murphy! I don't think it has anything to do with him, it is the studios. It is not a race thing either, look at Father of The Bride 1 and 2. These are a different studio, but they are also 2 dvds that have yet to be release an anamorphic.

Yocke
11-21-04, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by DavidH
48 Hours and Beverly Hills Cops (which you left out) are anamorphic ---- can't speak for the other two titles you mentioned.

Maybe studios are racist against Austrians as well since Arnold's Commando and Kindergarten Cop are non-anamorphic and one in full screen only!

No, 48 Hours isn't anamorphic. And I know that the Beverly Hills Cop films are anamorphic. The black thing was a quote from Beverly Hills Cop II, it was not ment to be taken seriously.

exparr0t
11-21-04, 01:19 PM
Trading Places is anamorphic. Great transfer. No special features however.

One of the great Eddie Murphey movies of the 80's... and also paramount.

"Thanks, ya been very hepful."

mikewendt
11-21-04, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by calhoun07
Was there a black man in the Batman movies?

Billy Dee "Stop calling me Lando" Williams

jessebo
11-21-04, 06:38 PM
yeah!!! big corporations tend to not release movies with anamorphic transfers just because the main star is black. it's common practice to give up tons of money just because a black man was the main star. give me a break..

Yocke
11-21-04, 06:45 PM
Some people need to start reading more than the first post in the thread...

Drexl
11-21-04, 06:59 PM
Maybe they have something against Tom Cruise too: Mission: Impossible, Days of Thunder, and Top Gun are also non-anamorphic. (TG does have that SE coming out though).

Anyway, I don't see how they could be racist, as non-anamorphic transfers have more black in them than anamorphic ones. ;)

Rammsteinfan
11-21-04, 07:11 PM
I wish Golden Child and Coming to America would get decent SE or at least Anamorphic releases like NOW... Two of his better comedies.

Yocke
11-22-04, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Drexl
Anyway, I don't see how they could be racist, as non-anamorphic transfers have more black in them than anamorphic ones. ;)

:lol:

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
I wish Golden Child and Coming to America would get decent SE or at least Anamorphic releases like NOW... Two of his better comedies.

Yeah, I just ordered these from the UK, but I would pick them up in a second if they got even better releases.

Coral
11-22-04, 11:01 AM
Eddy Murphy's black ???!!! :eek:

I never really thought about it until now.

dick_grayson
11-22-04, 11:09 AM
I'm gonna guess it has something to do with going from SNL and doing stand-up like Raw to Haunted Mansion and Dr. Doolittle. He pulled an Adam Sandler (in my opinion) but at least Adam has also thrown in some good roles (Punchdrunk Love as well as others).

Ian_H
11-22-04, 11:32 AM
* As an aside...last week or the week before, I was watching NBC late at nite/early in the morning when they show a "classic" episode of SNL. Anyways, it was right around the time 48 Hours was out in theatres. I'm guessing Nick was supposed to host the show, but he said he was sick [Eddie was making fun of it, so i'm guessing he really wasn't sick]. So, at the beginning of the show, Eddie told the audience he was going to host the show. During the host's five minutes at the beginning of the show, he was telling jokes about Stevie Wonder and whatnot and during one of his jokes, he blurted out "nigga" and it wasn't bleeped. It surprised me because I didn't think they were that laid back back in the day

Then you haven't seen the infamous Richard Pryor / Chevy Chase job interview bit before. It was written by Paul Mooney and is pretty funny:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75ginterview.phtml

--Ian

ddschneider1972
11-22-04, 12:31 PM
One of the funniest SNL skits!
....I didn't know Paul Mooney wrote it...

SpacemanSpiff
11-22-04, 04:15 PM
i just bought I Spy on dvd... what a great movie

Bacon
11-22-04, 04:24 PM
Some people need to start reading more than the first post in the thread... :up:

BTW Raw (in additon to Trading Places) is also anamorphic :)

Cornelius1047
11-22-04, 08:23 PM
It's not because he's black!! Paramount, racists?! I think not! It is you who is the racist!! Because he's black... Wow. Of all the ridiculous things I've read on these forums, let me tell you, this one takes the cake. I was so offended by that comment, I skipped over everything else and immediately posted my response. You, dear sir, are OFF my Christmas list!

K

JIF
11-22-04, 11:14 PM
The black thing was a quote from Beverly Hills Cop II, it was not ment to be taken seriously.

I knew you were kidding, but evidently, many took it to heart.

What you should have said was: "Is this a black thing?" funny quote from Beverly Hills Cop 2 (Foley to Chief Detective Lutz).

Had you done so, this tread would not have gotten out of control....

Mark_vdH
11-23-04, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by JIF
What you should have said was: "Is this a black thing?" funny quote from Beverly Hills Cop 2 (Foley to Chief Detective Lutz).
Isn't that exactly what he said?

Or do you mean that he should've added that it was a quote from BHC2?

Yocke
11-23-04, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by JIF
I knew you were kidding, but evidently, many took it to heart.

Had you done so, this tread would not have gotten out of control....

I know, but I was drunk when I started the thread, and in my head it all sounded hillarious as hell. Plus, look at how many hits this thread has gotten. At least I got someones attention.

p h a n a t | c
11-23-04, 09:17 AM
yeah, 80's movies seem to get no love from the studios. what's with all the classic steve martin stuff? most of the versions are useless. (the jerk, all of me, etc.)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0