Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Proper Storage of DVDs - Horizontal, Vertical?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 04:20 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a stupid question, but it was brought to my attention and I haven't been able to shake it out of my head.

I've always stored my DVDs horizontally...the box laid down on its back, with the front artwork looking towards the ceiling, and one stacked ontop of the other like that (I have separate stacks for keepcase, snapcase and digipaks, by the way). Its much more convenient than storing the discs vertically...the discs take up less space, stack neatly, and even seem to be easier to find.

A friend of mine wondered if this was safe for the DVDs, thinking the disc would bend with gravity over time. It sounds impossible, but it did raise the question of DVD storage...does it make any difference how a disc is stacked; whether vertically or horizontally?
Old 11-19-04, 05:09 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Check out this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=375251
Old 11-19-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
thinking the disc would bend with gravity over time
They will since gravity is a constant.

I do not think I will be around long enough to worry about it.
Old 11-22-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't think so. You'd need some plastic flow for that to occur. Doesn't matter how long you wait, under normal temperayures you won't have enough stress to initiate flow. (Unlike window glass, which *does* flow due to gravity!)

For the OP, the horizontal DVD's won't take up less space unless your shelves are an odd height. The case size/volume doesn't change with orientation! You can always add a few horizontal cases on top of the veerticla rpows if there is space aove. (But stacking horizontally means you might get an odd half-width left on the shelf.)

The titles might be easier to read/find if stacked horizontally. But the biggest negative to horizontal stacking is that you have to slidecases out from under other ones, which can be a real pain in larger stacks. With a vertical row, each case is free to slide out directly without disturbing its neighbors.

I always go with vertical. Almost everyone does. That's probably the reason why. The discs are OK either way.
Old 11-22-04, 11:13 AM

I never gave it much thought... but I figure that since all retailers displays and sells them in a vertical position, why not just copy them. Additionally, I believe that all DVD racks/storage had vertical dvd storage in mind when they were design. Bookselve type dvd storage (IKEA Billy) can be subjective... but BOLTZ MM252 design was definitely for vertical placements.

btw, I store mine vertically on my 2 BOLTZ rack... and on my 2 BILLYs as well (separate area for Animes).

Last edited by tmy727; 11-22-04 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-23-04, 10:52 AM
sdk

Storing them horisontaly does increase the chance of dvdrot. Or so i read.
Old 11-23-04, 11:08 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Thanks for the advice, and the link to the other thread. I don't know how I missed it.

I'll stand them up for safety's sake.